Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

if money's the same...R, 4.0RS, or GT2RS

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 09:27 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

I really hope we get a bit more sweaty palm feel with the new gt2rs.

I remember the first time I drove my 996gt3mk1. Sweaty hands and my right foot was shaking a little.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:27 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
GT2RS
991 RS
new GT3.2
Prius
R
best post on thread!!!
Old 03-31-2017, 11:51 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,373 Likes on 635 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos993
Hi CJ,

Very insightful comments, saw your comments on "Decades of Disruption" wrt driving the Carrera GT, where would the fun/joy/manliness of driving the CGT slot in compared to the above?

Interestingly, the price delta on some of the cars and the CGT have narrowed significantly.

Thank you.
My wife told me I am allowed to sell any car I own as long as I always have a CGT somewhere. She does not give a crap about the 993 GT2, GT2RS (she needs a ride in it), and while she appreciates the 991RS on the track (she's got about 10 days under her belt) she really wants to build up her skills to drive the CGT.

I still hold that a properly set up (new tires, alignment) CGT is truly the most unique experience and the prettiest yet savage noise Porsche ever made.

But you really have to be a good driver to get something out of it.

In 2009 I bought my black CGT. My previous cars were a 993C2S, an Andial 3.8L 993TT, 997 GT3, 997RS, and an Audi RS4. I'd been doing track days for 3 years, been to racing school and driven formula mazdas, and F3 cars.

I was terrified of the car for a solid month.

It's not that you tame the car, and it doesn't tame you...but somehow you reach and it reaches and together you form a very strong bond. Name:  photo675.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  832.3 KB

Then...

Name:  photo110.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  1.05 MB
Old 04-01-2017, 02:13 AM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 104 Posts

Wow. Very communicative, and graphic, answer. Thank you.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:55 AM
FLGT
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Houndstooth
^ This guy has 26 posts, what does he know?
Rest assured, He has a "some experience" driving and racing
Old 04-01-2017, 12:21 PM
BusDriver
Instructor

Received 234 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
My wife told me I am allowed to sell any car I own as long as I always have a CGT somewhere. She does not give a crap about the 993 GT2, GT2RS (she needs a ride in it), and while she appreciates the 991RS on the track (she's got about 10 days under her belt) she really wants to build up her skills to drive the CGT.

I still hold that a properly set up (new tires, alignment) CGT is truly the most unique experience and the prettiest yet savage noise Porsche ever made.

But you really have to be a good driver to get something out of it.

In 2009 I bought my black CGT. My previous cars were a 993C2S, an Andial 3.8L 993TT, 997 GT3, 997RS, and an Audi RS4. I'd been doing track days for 3 years, been to racing school and driven formula mazdas, and F3 cars.

I was terrified of the car for a solid month.

It's not that you tame the car, and it doesn't tame you...but somehow you reach and it reaches and together you form a very strong bond.
Very true!

Nothing like the CGT....a beast that takes patience and respect to master, but is rewarding like nothing else. Part of the thrill of the car is knowing that if you ever get too relaxed with the car, it can bite your head off . Some of my favorite road car memories are from behind the wheel of a CGT - driving in NY, occasionally commuting (!) in one, attacking Northern CA back roads, getting wheelspin in the rain at 70 mph on the highway, goosebumps from trailing throttle oversteer entering a 120 mph bend...

If the CGT is a dragon, then the GT4 is a golden retriever - playful and fun anytime and anyday, and the 911R is a pet wolf - a tremendous reminder of how cars (and dogs) used to be. Even if nowhere as exotic as a CGT, the 911R is my favorite car for pure road driving pleasure.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:03 AM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
In 2009 I bought my black CGT. I was terrified of the car for a solid month. It's not that you tame the car, and it doesn't tame you...but somehow you reach and it reaches and together you form a very strong bond.
Originally Posted by BusDriver
Very true! If the CGT is a dragon, then the GT4 is a golden retriever - playful and fun anytime and anyday, and the 911R is a pet wolf - a tremendous reminder of how cars (and dogs) used to be. Even if nowhere as exotic as a CGT, the 911R is my favorite car for pure road driving pleasure.
Great anthropomorphisms!
Perhaps the RS 4.0 is a pet wolf that enjoys a beer and the GT2 RS is a pet wolf on speed.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:55 AM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Originally Posted by DYSTURBD
Four point Zero

And, this thread needs a poll, just sayin'.
By my count the vote so far is:

997 RS 4.0 -- 29
997 GT2 RS -- 9
991 R -- 8

Of most interest is those who have declared they own or have owned two or all three:

Polar Peter has owned all, currently 4.0 & R:
1. 4.0

Rickman_fr owns 4.0 & R:
1. 4.0
2. R

Grahal09 has owned all:
1. R

C.J. Ichiban owns all:
1. GT2
2. 4.0
3. R
Old 04-02-2017, 10:44 AM
Metzeger
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

NA motors winners
Old 04-02-2017, 10:49 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Can't wait to drive the R.

Enjoyed reading CJs description of the CGT. This is what AP should be focusing on. We need a car that makes your hair stand up in your neck while driving. Makes your feet shake and your palms sweat.
The CGT creates that with a combination of sound, power and analog feel.

So when do we get a screaming V10 in a 911?

AP mentioned that humans will always be fascinated by speed.
True, but we need more than speed. Otherwise 991 turbo S would be the go to car.

991GT2rs will be a good indicator of what direction AP is taking the GT division. Looking at the exhaust tips it looks promising to me.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:32 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,373 Likes on 635 Posts

I just want cars that
shoot fire,
cars that scream,
cars that you can chuck sideways,
cars that need to be respected and mastered.

And cars that won't dissolve in water.
Cars that I can get tires and parts for.

If I can get 3 or more of the first group and both of the second I will love the car.

So far my top cars of all time are the 675LT, CGT, 4.0 997, 911R, old NSX, 993 GT2, BAC Mono, F1, P1, 918, GT2RS (order depends on my mood)

Caveat: I don't own an F40 but that seems like it would fit in eventually, but I think they dissolve in water.

The SLS Black Series almost works but suspension is god awful. It's a monster. ACR almost fits but tires and unsexy noise hurts it.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:14 PM
gungriffin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha ha I want to respond before reading through.

I would love a GT3RS 4.0. Seems like everything the RS is just dialed one number higher. I have no personally experienced reasons, just emotional!
Old 04-02-2017, 12:38 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 776 Posts

Off Topic but why I chose the GT2RS.

I went from GT3 3.6 to 3.8RS to 4.0 and back to a very well set up 964RSA hot rod and I couldn't help wondering what Porsche had been doing between 1993 and 2011.. almost 20 years.
The RSA sounded similar, shifted better, and I really enjoyed the light weight and small footprint. It just drove just so similar even though it was 10 seconds slower per lap then the 4.0 (At Sebring) but the driving experience was similar to all my GT3's before.
I really enjoyed the 964 and it surprised me with a quiet, smooth no turbulence in the cabin 100+ mph cruise speed on the road. Like a 997.

So that's why I would say GT2RS so much more drama.
If I would go back to old clunky and out of warranty over MSRP, I'd go back to 964..

I'm missing the 4.0 and R point. I must be wrong.

The RS (and so the R?) is a much bigger difference compared to the 4.0 then the 964 hot rod to a 4.0. Was the 4.0 last of the great? Or just slightly more of the same

The RS is much faster, much better performance and better durability. But heavy and huge.. there's always a price to pay.

The R gives something back but not enough. It won't be the last it isn't the first, I'm lost on the R.

Now comes the 991.2GT3(R, RS) and they will be just more of the same 991? Seems again the 991.2RS will be the more drama one...
Old 04-02-2017, 12:38 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
GT2RS
991 RS
new GT3.2
Prius
R
Originally Posted by richk
best post on thread!!!
But very unfair on the R from what I've read about it.

I'm ignorant and biased, having a 4.0 and not having driven the others but guess at:
R
991.2 GT3
991 RS
GT2 RS (think I would just choose 991 RS's PDK over turbo)

If a CGT wasn't so impractical and expensive I'd have it 1st or 2nd.

I'm 6' 3½" and fit much better in the water-cooled cars than the air-cooled. A race bucket might help but I also like the passive safety of the water-cooled.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:38 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

I'm missing the 4.0 and R point. I must be wrong.

The R gives something back but not enough. It won't be the last it isn't the first, I'm lost on the R.

Now comes the 991.2GT3(R, RS) and they will be just more of the same 991? Seems again the 991.2RS will be the more drama one...
The order of them is a personal preference, and it's down to what you want. No arguments there, but I'm interested if you've spent much time in an R? Genuinely interested.

People don't seem to gave a problem (rightly) saying that a 2RS, a 4.0RS, a 991GT3 are all quite different, even though they are all 911s. Yet, at the same time, want to say the R is nothing different to a "manual GT3 without a wing". (Not aimed at you TRAKCAR, and neither is what follows..).

No doubt it's been tainted by the allocation bunfight (ironic that the 9974.0RS was hard to sell, partly as cars generally were expected to depreciate, but the "enthusiast explosion" is another story). Some people seem to think that this backstory gives free reign to openly disrespect other people's property, but more fool them.

Anyway, as an enjoyable, adaptable and useable road car, I think the R is unsurpassed. It is a fully immersive experience and if you live in the right place (access to open roads with little risk of jail time..), then there's nothing like it. A CGT is a 'better' and more exciting car of course, but we're comparing 911s here.

Yes, I would prefer hydraulic steering, but other than that it's as much as you would expect in a modern car, and feels absolutely bullet proof in contrast to older cars that give a more raw experience when you're in the mood,

I don't collect cars as a rule, as there's always something else to try, but the R has place number 3 in the list of cars I can't imagine selling. Others are a Lancia Integrale, and a Countach 400S. (Not for its driving experience!).

I'm expecting to get a 991 2RS and hope that it is a massively over-powered, unruly, extrovert monster. I'll take it on tracks and drive it as hard as I can. Will it be, who knows? For example, I find the 991RS to be too soft at the limits, the RWS is not calibrated properly in that iteration, and even with "all" systems off, there is always a layer between you and what's happening. that's at the heart of my argument,and applies in a lesser degree to the 4.0 and the 997 2RS

The RSs are be-winged, "race-cars for the road", except they're not. They are miles off the pace of even a low-level race car as anyone who has driven one will tell you. They are fantastic cars, and great to own, but they are in many ways, exhilarating pretenders to the real thing, (in my opinion, no disrespect...!)

The R is for the road, and it is the real thing in that environment. That's its habitat and it rules there, for me. (And is also fun on track especially when passing RS ;-)).

For me, that's why it would be the one. Never mind the best 911, if I could only drive one car forever and have to use for everything, I can't think of another road car that I'd choose over the R. (I'd just stick some seatbelts in the back!). Some will laugh away, but I'll still be smiling...

Quick Reply: if money's the same...R, 4.0RS, or GT2RS