Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bucket seat vs low weight bucket seats please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 11:14 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The LBS are the best of all available for comfort of all the seating options particularly on long term drives. I have been in them for 12 hr stints and come out of them refreshed, not sore like in the others, i've he'd them all.

Folding LBS are not available in the US only the fixed.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:05 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
While this "sofa vs LWB" subject is like a running joke on Rennlist at this point, there is one point which seems to get lost or buried. Outside of the comfort Or looks, the LWB make you feel more connected to the car while you're driving. They actually improve sport driving pleasure, which is something I appreciate every time I get in, and transcends comfort or looks.

This is why they are worth it, for the improved experience.
so true...have them in both GT3 & GT4..I wouldn't buy these cars without LWB

Last edited by kfmcmahon; 03-27-2017 at 06:26 PM. Reason: added "I"
Old 03-27-2017, 01:36 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 119 Posts

While this "sofa vs LWB" subject is like a running joke on Rennlist at this point, there is one point which seems to get lost or buried. Outside of the comfort Or looks, the LWB make you feel more connected to the car while you're driving. They actually improve sport driving pleasure, which is something I appreciate every time I get in, and transcends comfort or looks.

I have read this from other people many times. Are you able to objectively explain why the "LWB make you feel more connected to the car." I understand the LWB are a little stiffer, a little more confined, a little lower, a little tighter bolsters. What specifically gives the "feeling" that they are more connected. Not trying to be argumentative, but I am sure many (if not the majority) of people order LWB over the 18 way because:

1. They look better
2. GT cars HAVE to have buckets. Kinda like "an RS is an RS"
Old 03-27-2017, 03:18 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 443 Likes on 264 Posts

Hey guys,

Hope this helps in regards to weight. I was pretty curious to the actual weight difference, and ended up weighing a couple options on our shipping scale (and confirmed on a corner weight scale).

GT3RS/918 LWB Bucket Seat: 38 pounds each
Sparco SPX Seat w/mounting base: 45 pounds each *This is my comparison for a US-available folding-back carbon seat.
Sofa 18-way adj. seat: 61 pounds each

In short, there is a 56 pound weight difference between running the LWB's and the 18-way Sofa's.

-Andrew
a.adams@gmgracing.com

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 03-27-2017, 03:50 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

I could see that as an additional subjective factor that could push someone on the fence over to the buckets side. I will likely get them, but there is an argument for each of the three seat options, depending on an individual's preferences.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:23 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mass27
I have read this from other people many times. Are you able to objectively explain why the "LWB make you feel more connected to the car." I understand the LWB are a little stiffer, a little more confined, a little lower, a little tighter bolsters. What specifically gives the "feeling" that they are more connected. Not trying to be argumentative, but I am sure many (if not the majority) of people order LWB over the 18 way because:

1. They look better
I think the idea is that they "subjectively" make you feel more connected to the car (probably because they are lower to the floor, wrap around ME--not you-- like a glove, stiffer shell, so less "mushy" feeling on track)

You cannot ask if they "objectively" make you feel more connected, because it is not a zero to 60 time, a hp/tq figure, or any other data point.

If you do not feel that way, then you don't, but for those of us who do (and that is what the OP was asking, I believe), then we CAN'T explain it to you...you either feel it or you don't!
Old 03-27-2017, 06:55 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27

1. They look better
Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
I think the idea is that they "subjectively" make you feel more connected to the car (probably because they are lower to the floor, wrap around ME--not you-- like a glove, stiffer shell, so less "mushy" feeling on track)

You cannot ask if they "objectively" make you feel more connected, because it is not a zero to 60 time, a hp/tq figure, or any other data point.

If you do not feel that way, then you don't, but for those of us who do (and that is what the OP was asking, I believe), then we CAN'T explain it to you...you either feel it or you don't!
I think kfmcmahon puts it quite accurate. The reactions of the car aren't softened.. they are stiff, they allow you to brace yourself nicely while being light on the wheel, they offer really good support in shoulders.. I know the LWB aren't track seats, but they are definitely a great blend of sport seat and comfort which makes you feel very connected. In short, they feel like the right tool for the job. And yes, this is completely subjective.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:01 PM
cweed
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by OG911
Hey Guys. I have been following all your posts about the seats but haven't reached a conclusion yet

which seat do you think is more suitable for daily driving with keeping the GT3 experience?

Folding bucket seats or full fixed bucket seats ?
If you are going to use as a DD then get the folding 14 or 18 ways seats. If you are married have your wife try to get in and out of the LWB's in a skirt and heels........ For the track LWB's or a real race seat & harness is the ticket.

Last edited by cweed; 03-27-2017 at 07:17 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 03-27-2017, 07:15 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cweed
If you are going to use as a DD then get the folding 14 or 18 ways seats. If you are married have your wife try get in and out of the LWB's in a skirt and heels........
just an added benefit of the LWB's
Old 03-27-2017, 07:23 PM
OG911
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

LWB is this folding bucket?
Old 03-27-2017, 07:32 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 95 Posts

If you are going to use as a DD then get the folding 14 or 18 ways seats. If you are married have your wife try to get in and out of the LWB's in a skirt and heels........ For the track LWB's or a real race seat & harness is the ticket.
If she is in heels and a skirt, we would take the Range Rover Sport. I rarely if ever drive the GT3 for an evening at a restaurant, show and any event. The Gt3 is all about spirited driving.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:42 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,805 Likes on 1,101 Posts

My wife prefers recaro over lwb! Really!
Old 03-27-2017, 10:58 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,001 Likes on 374 Posts

Imagine the difference between sitting on a carbon shell with a thin pad vs sitting on two pillows. Everything that's going on underneath you is either directly communicated or muted. The difference is substantial.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:17 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Imagine the difference between sitting on a carbon shell with a thin pad vs sitting on two pillows. Everything that's going on underneath you is either directly communicated or muted. The difference is substantial.
Simply put, excellent explanation.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:23 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,099 Likes on 537 Posts

4-way sports seats appear to be 97 lbs from an older post here. If LWBS are 76 lbs, then the weight savings from the base seats to the LWBS would be 21 lbs.

Quick Reply: Bucket seat vs low weight bucket seats please help!