Sponsored by:

Money shift on a 991.2 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 02:31 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,687 Likes on 2,336 Posts

it can b done. they did it even with air cooled cars.
but that's like doing hi wire with a safety net. it's safer, but no danger no fun.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:57 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

Its easy to figure out money shift, b/c IMMEDIATELY money flies out your pocket.
Wait I thought this was just visiting your warehouse? That's not a money shift?
Old 03-23-2017, 07:32 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I also suspect that platforms like the 991 and the 981 GT4 are making this a bit less of a risk because of less body flex than other manufacturers or older Porsches.

In a high radius, high-speed, high-g turn body flex can matter to help to end up in 2 instead of 4.

In any case, I suggest an explosive charge in the clutch to disengage on overrev.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:39 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
A money shift would cause it, but what about straight up blowing an up shift? Same rev limiter protection as 991.1?
By blowing an upshift, do you mean selecting 2nd instead of 4th from redline in 3rd gear or do you mean selecting no gear at all by mistake? The former is not protected but the latter is protected.

BTW, if you were to track a manual GT3 at HPR (our local Colorado track), the only place that 4th gear will be needed is on the main straight (there will be no lateral forces to make that shift more difficult or mis-align the drivetrain). It's also possible that you could barely get into 4th on the shorter front straight (again, no lateral loading there).

I drove my GT4 on 4 tracks in 4 countries (including Nordschliefe, Spa, Dijon, and HPR) - never encountered an issue with gear selection (despite some fast sweepers that required 4th gear selection)...
Old 03-23-2017, 12:11 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
By blowing an upshift, do you mean selecting 2nd instead of 4th from redline in 3rd gear or do you mean selecting no gear at all by mistake? The former is not protected but the latter is protected.

BTW, if you were to track a manual GT3 at HPR (our local Colorado track), the only place that 4th gear will be needed is on the main straight (there will be no lateral forces to make that shift more difficult or mis-align the drivetrain). It's also possible that you could barely get into 4th on the shorter front straight (again, no lateral loading there).

I drove my GT4 on 4 tracks in 4 countries (including Nordschliefe, Spa, Dijon, and HPR) - never encountered an issue with gear selection (despite some fast sweepers that required 4th gear selection)...
Hey Grant, it could be blowing the shift where the car isn't in gear, or just over reving it. It sounds like the rev limiter will stop both of those things from being a mark on a DME?

It sounds like the manual in these cars (and the GT4) are pretty awesome, and i do know how to drive a manual, so maybe over revs and blown/money shifts aren't really a concern.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:53 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
It sounds like the manual in these cars (and the GT4) are pretty awesome, and i do know how to drive a manual, so maybe over revs and blown/money shifts aren't really a concern.
It's certainly nothing to ignore, but it's also nothing that should keep one from ordering manual if they are an aware and competent driver.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:59 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
It's certainly nothing to ignore, but it's also nothing that should keep one from ordering manual if they are an aware and competent driver.
So you are saying go PDK? Okay!

In all seriousness, if I did order another GT3 I would strongly consider a manual. I had a lot of fun driving my old 5 speed 280ZX. It would be fun to experience the car that way.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:49 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 270 Posts

I have an idea. Physically gate the unwanted gear location with small dynamic horizontal shafts that disallow gear entrance. The shafts would engage based off numerous parametric values from the ECU. Like Steering angle, lateral G force, brake percentage, throttle percentage, RPM, etc. The actuation of the pins could be accomplished in milliseconds. Now you have a mechanical mechanism to gate unwanted shifts. You could activate/deactivate via a button on the console that reads "Flappy paddles are for grandmas"
Old 03-23-2017, 02:57 PM
CYKBC
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Man up
Old 03-23-2017, 11:56 PM
2fnquik
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

No discussion would be complete without input from urban dictionary

money shift
Usually only happens in a car with a manual transmission- A money shift is an accidental, far too aggressive down-shift, in which the engine performs the biggest red-line you've ever seen. It's referred to as a money shift, because it usually results in money coming out of your pocket for a new head, pistons etc.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:59 AM
zumaron
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Wait I thought this was just visiting your warehouse? That's not a money shift?
money shift from your pocket to mooty's pocket. cha-ching!
Old 03-24-2017, 12:11 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by squid42
Unless they are willing to put a "fuse" in the clutch that would be difficult to do. Even if they do, it would be hard to make that fast enough.
One of the advantages of the original pressure plate used on the 996 GT3 and 997 GT3 was that rivets would fail during a mechanical overrev, saving the engine but sometimes taking out the much-cheaper-to-fix bellhousing in the process.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:13 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 76 Posts

Resurrecting this as I've been thinking about the same thing recently and really can't understand why Porsche doesn't include this. GM cars already have a system (I think it's called CAGS?) that locks out certain gears in order to help it pass fuel economy tests. (Forces you to shift from 2nd straight to 4th if you're not revving it out.) Now, that's stupid, but it shows that mechanically it's possible. This would just be a matter of programming to have it instead lock out gears that would result in a mechanical overrev, based on vehicle speed or on engine speed and selected gear. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Even if you don't think you'll ever misshift on the track, why not have the backup there, just in case? I could probably shift a hair faster if I knew there was no chance of accidentally ramming it into a lower gear, and it would be nice to remove that remote worry from mind as well!
Old 09-09-2019, 12:02 AM
Carrara Design
Former Vendor

Received 369 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Rob,not any money shift means damage : they go in stages.
This engine revs higher than 997. From what AP has said,they've made 608 HP from this engine and " it was screaming ". To achieve that he also said they were " well into 5 digits " on the rev counter. So there's that.
Finally,in these new cars,the gear indicator on the dash lights up the gear you've selected before releasing the clutch.
LOL, to be a fly on the wall at Porsche on that day!
Old 09-10-2019, 11:24 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Nate, you think they could, the 7MT in the Carrera has a lock out feature on the 7th gear, you think they could something for 2nd and 1st.

Maybe not every gear but 1st and 2nd.

Quick Reply: Money shift on a 991.2 GT3?