Sponsored by:

Money shift on a 991.2 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 11:32 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
Resurrecting this as I've been thinking about the same thing recently and really can't understand why Porsche doesn't include this. GM cars already have a system (I think it's called CAGS?) that locks out certain gears in order to help it pass fuel economy tests. (Forces you to shift from 2nd straight to 4th if you're not revving it out.) Now, that's stupid, but it shows that mechanically it's possible. This would just be a matter of programming to have it instead lock out gears that would result in a mechanical overrev, based on vehicle speed or on engine speed and selected gear. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Even if you don't think you'll ever misshift on the track, why not have the backup there, just in case? I could probably shift a hair faster if I knew there was no chance of accidentally ramming it into a lower gear, and it would be nice to remove that remote worry from mind as well!
I saw that message a few times but it did not force me from 1st to 4th. Maybe just a suggestion on the zr1?

The manual does take getting used to. The throws from 4th to 5th and 6th to 7th seems really difficult to nail but i doubt those shifts matter on track or at the drags.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:15 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

asking for a friend (seriously).. at what range of moneyshift does porsche decide to not cover a siezed engine? is it a pattern of small ones over time, is it existence of a big level 5 somewhere in the car's history?

i don't have all the details but basically:

-purchased used manual GT3 but never checked the rev report
-experienced driver with many manual porsches..
-today at 6000rpm engine went into limpp mode.. coasted to side of road. Tried drivinig again and made bad sound
-Towed to dealer rev report shows one at 5 range, quite a few 1,2.
-what should she ask for? what is porsche warranty language on this?

I'm curious to see what happens but also wondering if anyone here has experienced similar or knows of outcomes in similar situations.
-is it a "dealer be nice to me" thing, or Porsche AG be nice to me.. ie, how much discretion is there with warranty coverage?

ii'll share this thread with them as they aren't on rennlist so they can see answers, but i have nothing else to add with details.

grazie!
Old 08-17-2020, 09:21 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 102 Posts

Money Shift- another Value thread? should I Shift Money from the stock market to my Porsche dealer.
I’m so disappointed it’s not 🤣🤣
Old 08-17-2020, 10:34 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
asking for a friend (seriously).. at what range of moneyshift does porsche decide to not cover a siezed engine? is it a pattern of small ones over time, is it existence of a big level 5 somewhere in the car's history?

-today at 6000rpm engine went into limpp mode.. coasted to side of road. Tried drivinig again and made bad sound

I'm curious to see what happens but also wondering if anyone here has experienced similar or knows of outcomes in similar situations.
-is it a "dealer be nice to me" thing, or Porsche AG be nice to me.. ie, how much discretion is there with warranty coverage?

ii'll share this thread with them as they aren't on rennlist so they can see answers, but i have nothing else to add with details.

grazie!
I will give a data point although it probably won’t answer your question. As I have stated my 997.2 GT3 had two stage five overrevs due to failing Dynamic Engine Mounts and me driving it like a race car (LOL). I wholesaled it out to the lowest bidder (still crying) and eventually after two changes of owners, owner five had the car CPO’d!! WHAAATTTT? Well, owner 5 who tracked me down here actually works for PCNA and had worked with PAG to change the CPO to allow cars with overrevs up to Range 5 after some many hours. Now my two range fives were a total of only like 12 rotations of the motor, so not horrible but not great to see on the DME. I can’t remember the hours needed, but somehow 150 Hours sticks in my mind. So, there is precedence to Porsche ‘ignoring’ high range overrevs so there may be an argument to be made that an overrev from several hundred operating hours ago is not material to the engine failure.

Good luck my friend- maybe you can dig into the CPO policy with PCNA through some of your connections.

Old 08-18-2020, 12:10 AM
feh
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Hard to grab 2nd by mistake from 5th, unless you really ham fist it down and way left (which if you do, you definitely need waaaay more practice).

I've missed the 3rd gear gate from 2nd and it's easy to catch early like others said, via sound or the gear indicator. 3rd to 4th is also pretty well defined, don't see how you can mess up and grab 2nd either.
Old 08-18-2020, 12:41 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by feh
Hard to grab 2nd by mistake from 5th, unless you really ham fist it down and way left (which if you do, you definitely need waaaay more practice).

I've missed the 3rd gear gate from 2nd and it's easy to catch early like others said, via sound or the gear indicator. 3rd to 4th is also pretty well defined, don't see how you can mess up and grab 2nd either.
Its easy on a high speed turn to have the lateral forces acting on the engine and transmission (especially with soft or failed dynamic engine mounts), misaligning the gear linkage and then a fast shift from 3rd to 4th, finds 2nd. Boom, show me the money!

Seriously though, it’s easy to preach and claim you have to be really hamfisted as you say. But the truth is if you’ve never done it it’s probably because your not a racer or pushing for that last tenth on a track in a competitive environment. Back in the day, before robot manuals and dual clutches, many passes in F1 were made because of a missed shift- by arguably the best drivers in the world. If people like Dan Gurney and Jim Clark can miss a shift, you can too.
The following 3 users liked this post by montoya:
Nate Tempest (02-14-2021), Perimeter (08-18-2020), squid42 (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 01:00 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,031 Likes on 653 Posts

money shifts are a regular occurrence on cars driven hard, so are engine and gear box rebuilds ~ 50hrs

with a manual its very much pay to play

#PDK
The following users liked this post:
montoya (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 01:38 AM
RockyTopTenn
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
money shifts are a regular occurrence on cars driven hard, so are engine and gear box rebuilds ~ 50hrs. with a manual its very much pay to play
I have about 400,000 miles on manuals - driven hard - and exactly zero engine and gearbox rebuilds. What am I doing wrong?
The following 2 users liked this post by RockyTopTenn:
cox1974 (08-18-2020), Porsche911GTS'16 (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 02:36 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RockyTopTenn
I have about 400,000 miles on manuals - driven hard - and exactly zero engine and gearbox rebuilds. What am I doing wrong?
You're not racing
The following 2 users liked this post by montoya:
Nate Tempest (02-14-2021), pdxjim (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 03:57 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by RockyTopTenn
Originally Posted by montoya
You're not racing
What ^^^ he said and also... it's sort of like in motorcycling there are two kinds of riders (those who have crashed and those who will crash)....

But just to help you visualize your now impending moneyshift it will go like this.

1st: vrrrrrooooOOOOOMMM
2nd: vrrrrrooooOOOOOMMM
3rd: vrrrrrooooOOOOOMMM
4th: vrrrrrooooOOOOOMMM
3rd.. **** I meant 5th... clang, boom, clunk, clunk, clunk, dead... engine light.

Tears rolling down the face. (And that was in a Miata, not a $70k engine replacement GT3.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:50 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

grazie!
What I've been told is that Porsche starts to become difficult when the car shows range four and above over revs. Time since the over revs is important too - the longer it was in the past, the better. I was looking at a 991.2 GT3 manual last week and this is what I was told re: a car that had single digit ignitions in range 3. They said that car could be CPO'd. I think the whole thing is somewhat subjective. I bet it turns on how long ago the over revs were, the nature of the problem causing the engine issues and the interactions with the dealer/PCNA.
Old 08-18-2020, 12:07 PM
RockyTopTenn
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
You're not racing
Touché. But I don't intend to ever race mine...
The following 2 users liked this post by RockyTopTenn:
montoya (08-18-2020), Porsche911GTS'16 (08-19-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 12:16 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

a single ignition in range 5 is a computer glitch, not a real overrev
The following users liked this post:
cox1974 (08-20-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 12:30 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
a single ignition in range 5 is a computer glitch, not a real overrev
If you see an actual report.. the number of ignitions for a single event are in the 100's, never single digits much less 1.
Old 08-18-2020, 12:51 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,127 Likes on 2,888 Posts

If you see an actual report.. the number of ignitions for a single event are in the 100's, never single digits much less 1.
I think an important question is how many ignitions in RANGE 4 - if none or single digits there, then RANGE 5 results would be suspicious.

Last edited by GrantG; 08-18-2020 at 04:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Money shift on a 991.2 GT3?