Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodwood festival of speed - who's going?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017 | 06:10 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

They drove that car really hard

One of the older cars spun right in front of us backing into the hey bales. The crowd all went "Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhh!".
Then he just put in the first gear turned the car around and continued up the hill to the standing ovations of the public.

It is lovely to see these older cars being driven so hard!

Last edited by Kobalt; 07-02-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-02-2017 | 01:53 PM
DuckieRS
Instructor

@jo_ker: very tasty Caterham. When I give up motorbikes I might add one to the stable...
Old 07-02-2017 | 05:48 PM
Kills Bugs Fast
Advanced

Wink

hey guys - so I spent a pretty magical Saturday at FOS courtesy of Porsche GB and met some great fellow heads of petrol...I won't go into everyone wonderful part of the show which as always was a great event and one that the weather gods smiled down on this year!

The big highlight I wanted to share with you guys was while I was in the Porsche experience stand, sometime in the afternoon, there was a def lull in the activity and I just walked up to the GT2 RS (which is epic by the way..will post some pictures below...) there was a gentleman just standing there next to it on his own - I immediately recognised him at Dr Walliser - I was a little surprised he was by himself with no uber VIPs to handle as he had been all weekend.

He saw me taking photos and just came over and stood next to me - I congratulated him on the great work he was doing and he seemed surprised to be recognised. What ensued then was the best 40 minute discussion on all things Porsche I have ever had..just some highlights you guys might find interesting:

1. Weissach Package on GT2 RS - I suggested that surely there would be no gt2 rs without one after the weissach on the 918 and the single mass flywheel on the R - he laughed and said the accountants believe the take up will be 20% on the weissach package but he believes it to be closer to 80% - especially given those two examples.

2. I asked him how the manual versus pdk bet was going on the 991.2 BT3 (something I had a slight interest in..) - he said that he knows all "the forums and the internet guys are saying it has to be manual otherwise its worthless" but he said that it was mainly "for show" and that most orders are and will be pdk (even though he hasn't seen the numbers yet) and I asked where does he think it will end up and said he believes the final numbers will be 20% manual.

3. I told him I am going to be selling my 997 GT3 for my incoming 991.2 GT3 and he said - "you won't even remember your 997 after you drive this, no one will, no will remember the name "mezger engine" after they drive the 991.2 gt3 - it is my favourite"

4. He spoke about the GT2 RS - in what I can only describe as outright fear and awe - he said it was the closest thing to insanity he had ever experienced behind the wheel

all in all - he was a gracious man who took time out to speak to a young guy - yes I had Porsche lanyard etc - but was in no way a VIP and he had no way to know how many Porsche I have or had owned in the past before he spoke to me.

I later ran into him on the singer stand where he had come with his lovely wife and son and engaged in what I could only tell was an animated discussion with the singer guys - greatness recognises greatness clearly.

Here are some pics from the day - hope you enjoy

Awesome recognises Awesome...

Old 07-02-2017 | 06:06 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

^

Thanks for posting. Interesting! Curious if 20% MT is WW or U.S. If U.S., 20% is probably low.
Old 07-02-2017 | 06:42 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kills Bugs Fast
hey guys - so I spent a pretty magical Saturday at FOS courtesy of Porsche GB and met some great fellow heads of petrol...I won't go into everyone wonderful part of the show which as always was a great event and one that the weather gods smiled down on this year!

The big highlight I wanted to share with you guys was while I was in the Porsche experience stand, sometime in the afternoon, there was a def lull in the activity and I just walked up to the GT2 RS (which is epic by the way..will post some pictures below...) there was a gentleman just standing there next to it on his own - I immediately recognised him at Dr Walliser -
Great read and thanks for posting!
Old 07-02-2017 | 07:24 PM
Kills Bugs Fast
Advanced

Originally Posted by BrntRubber
Great read and thanks for posting!
thank you sir!
Old 07-02-2017 | 07:25 PM
Kills Bugs Fast
Advanced

Originally Posted by WernerE
^

Thanks for posting. Interesting! Curious if 20% MT is WW or U.S. If U.S., 20% is probably low.
thanks...he didn't specify but I assumed he meant "overall"
Old 07-02-2017 | 07:34 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

thank you sir!
Yea, echo chamber here but great write up and some really good detail pictures. Thank you for a quality contribution Mr Fast.

I'm not sure why I skipped FOS this year, mainly laziness as I didn't want to get on another 15 hr plus flight to Europe after just returning.. but I regret that decision now. Looks to have been a banner year for FOS... such a great show.

Maybe we can organize a rennlist pebble beach get-together.. I'll be with mclaren crew again this year but will be cool to meet more of you guys
Old 07-02-2017 | 07:46 PM
Kills Bugs Fast
Advanced

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Yea, echo chamber here but great write up and some really good detail pictures. Thank you for a quality contribution Mr Fast.

I'm not sure why I skipped FOS this year, mainly laziness as I didn't want to get on another 15 hr plus flight to Europe after just returning.. but I regret that decision now. Looks to have been a banner year for FOS... such a great show.

Maybe we can organize a rennlist pebble beach get-together.. I'll be with mclaren crew again this year but will be cool to meet more of you guys
Thank you for your kind comments sir...FOS is the closest thing to a car "music" festival I have experienced with like minded families and enthusiasts enjoying this irrational love we have for metal that makes us all stare at these pages for hours on end!

but saying that, the west coast to London trip is not an easy one! especially if you did it recently! there is always next year and the rate that Porsche is releasing some great things, I am sure it will be another one to remember! make sure to reach out if you do come! Would be good to meet some other members!

Great Avatar choice by the way - clearly great minds!

Last edited by Kills Bugs Fast; 07-02-2017 at 07:51 PM. Reason: general
Old 07-02-2017 | 09:05 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

I forsee the whole forum changing their avatars to the Chaosoul/CALexio/Kills Bugs Fast pic.
Old 07-02-2017 | 10:24 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Great info. 👍
Old 07-02-2017 | 11:09 PM
changster123
Pro

What color is that for the 991.2 GT3? Looks neither like Guards Red nor Lava Orange.
Old 07-02-2017 | 11:14 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by changster123
What color is that for the 991.2 GT3? Looks neither like Guards Red nor Lava Orange.
All in the photo filters.

Guards Red is the launch color for the .2 GT3.
Old 07-03-2017 | 12:12 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
I forsee the whole forum changing their avatars to the Chaosoul/CALexio/Kills Bugs Fast pic.
Haha, it was part of a poorly executed practical joke for awhile trying to impersonate Chuckasoul.. guess cats out of the bag now that we know he is AP.
Old 07-03-2017 | 01:55 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

The big highlight I wanted to share with you guys was while I was in the Porsche experience stand, sometime in the afternoon, there was a def lull in the activity and I just walked up to the GT2 RS (which is epic by the way..will post some pictures below...) there was a gentleman just standing there next to it on his own - I immediately recognised him at Dr Walliser - I was a little surprised he was by himself with no uber VIPs to handle as he had been all weekend.

He saw me taking photos and just came over and stood next to me - I congratulated him on the great work he was doing and he seemed surprised to be recognised. What ensued then was the best 40 minute discussion on all things Porsche I have ever had..just some highlights you guys might find interesting:

1. Weissach Package on GT2 RS - I suggested that surely there would be no gt2 rs without one after the weissach on the 918 and the single mass flywheel on the R - he laughed and said the accountants believe the take up will be 20% on the weissach package but he believes it to be closer to 80% - especially given those two examples.

2. I asked him how the manual versus pdk bet was going on the 991.2 BT3 (something I had a slight interest in..) - he said that he knows all "the forums and the internet guys are saying it has to be manual otherwise its worthless" but he said that it was mainly "for show" and that most orders are and will be pdk (even though he hasn't seen the numbers yet) and I asked where does he think it will end up and said he believes the final numbers will be 20% manual.

3. I told him I am going to be selling my 997 GT3 for my incoming 991.2 GT3 and he said - "you won't even remember your 997 after you drive this, no one will, no will remember the name "mezger engine" after they drive the 991.2 gt3 - it is my favourite"

4. He spoke about the GT2 RS - in what I can only describe as outright fear and awe - he said it was the closest thing to insanity he had ever experienced behind the wheel

all in all - he was a gracious man who took time out to speak to a young guy - yes I had Porsche lanyard etc - but was in no way a VIP and he had no way to know how many Porsche I have or had owned in the past before he spoke to me.

I later ran into him on the singer stand where he had come with his lovely wife and son and engaged in what I could only tell was an animated discussion with the singer guys - greatness recognises greatness clearly.

Here are some pics from the day - hope you enjoy

Awesome recognises Awesome...

I think I remembered you. Were you the one with the Leica taking pictures?

One of the Singer people used to work for Porsche, specifically the US 918 team, that's why

Anyway, Walliser is a great guy, young and smart and he is gonna have a bright future within the company.

BTW, for the lanyards, the acid green Porsche ones indicate they are 918 customers, that's why they got to be 'inside the rope".

Quick Reply: Goodwood festival of speed - who's going?