Swap out RS sun visors ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 06:13 PM
Four Liter
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Swap out RS sun visors ?

Hey Guys,
I know this topic has been covered before , but what are the choices for installing euro sun visors ? I haven't even driven my car yet and not sure how long I'll have it ( 964 RS still tugging at me ) , but I hate all the safety warnings on the visors . Can you buy a ''standard '' ( vinyl ? ) version vs having to buy leather or alcantara ? The material matters less to me than just having a plain black visor .
Thanks
Old 03-15-2017, 06:25 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Send your stock ones to http://shop.exclusiveoption.com/ and they will wrap it in alcantara with no stickers.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:49 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,578 Likes on 1,602 Posts

You can remove the stickers by soaking a rag or paper towel with Isopropryl Alcohol and blot at the stickers. They will peel off. Then clean off the residue with goo gone or something similar.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:01 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

FWIW, the stickers will not come off easily (come off in small pieces) from the alcantara covered visors.
They will come off, but you will need much patience and interior cover for the small pieces.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:08 PM
Four Liter
Pro

Thanks guys . I have leather interior , but didn't do any upgrade on the visors - what material is standard ? I know on VW's I've had the visor is printed - not a sticker and I recall after removing the printing there was still a shadow outline of where it used to be . The re-cover option would make it risk free to try removing it .
Appreciate the responses .
Old 03-15-2017, 08:43 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 136 Posts

I just bought some 3M 1080 Wrap material Matte Black. Cut to shape and apply. Done.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:44 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
You can remove the stickers by soaking a rag or paper towel with Isopropryl Alcohol and blot at the stickers. They will peel off. Then clean off the residue with goo gone or something similar.
Did this the the standard visors in my GT4. Pretty easy. Minimal mess.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:31 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

it can be removed. i have done it. well, i had my detailer do it
std visor is vinyl
you can opt for leather or alcantara
you can goto yoour dealer and ask for new visor in any material listed above BUT U WANT THE ROW VERSION. they will come with no decal.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:45 PM
major dad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in Europe and my car is UK delivery/Spec, so what I suppose you'd call ROW. Mine came with the decals printed on the visor on the passenger side ( left ). I tried 71 IPA but it did not work. A tea spoon of petrol ( gas) worked but the remains were in many many little pieces, so you have to be careful.

The ROW ones might actually have the decals, how sure are you they don't ?
Old 03-16-2017, 10:00 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

i bought 991rs visor row both driver and passenger side. came no
labels
Old 03-17-2017, 12:42 PM
Four Liter
Pro

Hi Guys ,
Well - I did the deed . I decided I had nothing to loose by trying to remove the stickers so I went with the paper towels soaked in 91% alcohol and it worked out OK . I was apprehensive about removing the visors ( having to pry the cover off the bracket ) for fear of slipping with a screwdriver and damaging the headliner . I draped a couple towels over the steering wheel and dash to protect them in case anything dripped , but had no issues . It seemed that 6-7 minutes of holding a thoroughly soaked towel allowed the sticker to come off easily and in one piece . There was some glue residue that needed more buffing with a soaked towel to come clean . I carefully went over the area with some 3M adhesive remover ( sprayed onto a cloth ) to finish it off . I did notice that you could still see an outline of where the sticker was until I buffed it with a towel that had some Armour All . I don't know if it will come back or not . I think these stickers are applied with some sort of heat process so the surface of the vinyl may get ''burned '' to some degree and may make the outline impossible to remove - time will tell . If it comes back I'll bite the bullet and have them redone in Alcantara to match the headliner .
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions .
Old 03-17-2017, 06:16 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad it worked out. Let us know if it comes back.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:36 PM
Four Liter
Pro

^ - I will . I left the shop an hour ago and it still was undetectable so I'm hopeful . I had 3 things on my '' to do '' list after taking delivery ; euro clear markers - dealer installed them before delivery , the stickers on the visors and having my wing end plates painted Guards Red to match my wheels , hub caps , mirrors and graphics . No idea why Exclusive wouldn't do them with all the other work they did . I removed the end plates a couple days ago and hope to run them up to Jim Newton at Auto Associates for painting on Monday . Car will be ''done '' then .
Old 03-17-2017, 07:54 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,289 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by Four Liter
^ - I will . I left the shop an hour ago and it still was undetectable so I'm hopeful . I had 3 things on my '' to do '' list after taking delivery ; euro clear markers - dealer installed them before delivery , the stickers on the visors and having my wing end plates painted Guards Red to match my wheels , hub caps , mirrors and graphics . No idea why Exclusive wouldn't do them with all the other work they did . I removed the end plates a couple days ago and hope to run them up to Jim Newton at Auto Associates for painting on Monday . Car will be ''done '' then .
exclusive refused to paint the end plates?

Weird. I hope they don't give me any hassles about painting the endplates, air intake covers, and bottom of the side mirror on my .2 GT3 to match the rest of the car exterior color......
Old 03-17-2017, 08:52 PM
Four Liter
Pro

^ Yup - no soup for me on the end plates . I was told they could be painted any one of the four standard colors , but no others . I questioned it 3 times after they approved all my other requests to no avail . Why would this be so hard if they were already willing to paint them white , silver , Lava , or UV ? In the end it's really more of a minor annoyance - they came off easily and I'd rather take them off than deal with mirrors , wheels , caps or things like the engine lid script in red etc . I'm sure it will cost far less than Exclusive doing it too .

Quick Reply: Swap out RS sun visors ?