Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Understanding Tire Wear After Track Day

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 03:16 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Damn, my tires look new in comparison to those!
Old 03-14-2017, 03:21 PM
ms550
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gettin my $$'s worth!
Old 03-14-2017, 06:32 PM
CSLSuperfan
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Rob

Many thanks for posting a thread that's not about the Gen2!!

Your tyres are very healthy with oodles of life left.

Been a life long fan of Cup 1's and they historically have an unbelievably high tolerance to abuse.

Camber and tyre temp coupled with gradually warming rubber on out laps are all key to longevity.

After a couple of days your tyres will clean up and look a lot less angry.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:38 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by GrantG
I'd be surprised if you used more than 5-10%. You can measure tread depths, but be aware that without a track alignment, you probably wore the outside shoulders most. Also with track use, it's possible to wear out tires before the tread is gone (from too many heat cycles), but this is highly unusual for the stock tires which usually get corded before that...
Thanks Grant! Pics don't look too bad so your 5-10% call might be spot on.

Originally Posted by brownan
They're probably fine unless you ran too much or too little pressure. They should be good for a pile of heat cycles (30+). They're just less pretty now.
Thanks! Cold temps were 30/33. Felt fine on the track, not that I would know what fine is supposed to feel like.

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
I personally have never corded a set of Cup 2 tires as they loose grip long before the tread is gone. If you can tolerate the lack of grip run them to the cord. Your tires will not wear evenly no matter what your camber is set to. Each track has its own way of wearing tires out and usually depends on rotation. My advise is to rotate your tires often to even out the wear. Now pray for RE 71R's in 305's...
Will do. Thanks!

Originally Posted by tonymission
Sgroer runs bald tires at the track and he's faster than just about everyone so I wouldn't worry too much about it !! :P I believe tread really only comes into play when it's wet on the road, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I think most track guys will see their tires heat cycle out before the tread is gone... I'm still running my stock wheels and original tires at the track and they grab as good as day one. That's three full track days (30-50 laps each day) and a lot of mountain driving. They don't look very good, that's for sure.

FWIW -- I am running a track alignment from Goldcrest Motorsports who seem to know what they're doing.
Okay thanks Tony. Good to know.

Originally Posted by CSLSuperfan
Rob

Many thanks for posting a thread that's not about the Gen2!! Your tyres are very healthy with oodles of life left. Been a life long fan of Cup 1's and they historically have an unbelievably high tolerance to abuse.

Camber and tyre temp coupled with gradually warming rubber on out laps are all key to longevity.

After a couple of days your tyres will clean up and look a lot less angry.
Sweet. Thanks for the info!
Old 03-14-2017, 07:31 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

those tires are sign of a happily exercised car.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:56 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by tasman
those tires are sign of a happily exercised car.
I think you are right! I think i was scaring the crap out of this car with talk of keeping it forever, yet no tracking in 14,000 miles!
Old 03-14-2017, 08:08 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymission
Sgroer runs bald tires at the track and he's faster than just about everyone so I wouldn't worry too much about it !! :P I believe tread really only comes into play when it's wet on the road, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I think most track guys will see their tires heat cycle out before the tread is gone... I'm still running my stock wheels and original tires at the track and they grab as good as day one. That's three full track days (30-50 laps each day) and a lot of mountain driving. They don't look very good, that's for sure.

FWIW -- I am running a track alignment from Goldcrest Motorsports who seem to know what they're doing.
Me and my bald tires are going to be back at it again on Friday!

ROb, your tires are in great shape. 12 laps will do almost no damage to them, especially in cool weather like you drove in.

There's not a ton of science to this... if the car's grip still makes you happy and the tires aren't obviously at the point of failure (ie - corded) , then roll with 'em!
Old 03-14-2017, 08:11 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by sgroer
Me and my bald tires are going to be back at it again on Friday!

ROb, your tires are in great shape. 12 laps will do almost no damage to them, especially in cool weather like you drove in.

There's not a ton of science to this... if the car's grip still makes you happy and the tires aren't obviously at the point of failure (ie - corded) , then roll with 'em!
Okay good to know. Sometimes i tend to overthink this stuff!
Old 03-14-2017, 08:44 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Can someone please explain what a heat cycle is with respect to the tires and what "heat cycling out" means? Also, how do you see it? Thanks.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:58 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,352 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
Can someone please explain what a heat cycle is with respect to the tires and what "heat cycling out" means? Also, how do you see it? Thanks.
Heat cycle is just what it sounds like. You increase the temperature and then cool it back off. That changes how the rubber behaves. You don't see it, you feel it. You will notice less grip because the compound hardened and no longer sticks as well as previous.

Heat cycle
Old 03-15-2017, 12:01 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Heat cycle is just what it sounds like. You increase the temperature and then cool it back off. That changes how the rubber behaves. You don't see it, you feel it. You will notice less grip because the compound hardened and no longer sticks as well as previous.

Heat cycle
Got it - thanks
Old 03-15-2017, 01:17 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
I personally have never corded a set of Cup 2 tires as they loose grip long before the tread is gone. If you can tolerate the lack of grip run them to the cord. Your tires will not wear evenly no matter what your camber is set to. Each track has its own way of wearing tires out and usually depends on rotation. My advise is to rotate your tires often to even out the wear. Now pray for RE 71R's in 305's...
I've been cording my tires in about 8-16 sessions and they stay pretty fast for about 12 or so. Depends on how rough the track is I guess.
I've been on a track once where the tires corded after 4-5 sessions. Glad that's not my home track!!

Originally Posted by ms550

5 Days Front left Lime Rock Park.
My Sunlops did that but MPSC2 never.

Originally Posted by robmypro
Okay good to know. Sometimes i tend to overthink this stuff!
Rob, just keep en eye on the tires. They will start chunking on the outside edge after the start cording. Should be good till they start chunking. It looks like little pieces of the edge missing here and there, easy to spot.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:20 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Rob, just keep en eye on the tires. They will start chunking on the outside edge after the start cording. Should be good till they start chunking. It looks like little pieces of the edge missing here and there, easy to spot.
Okay will do. Thanks. Btw, I was watching a video of you driving at Sebring.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:36 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I think you are right! I think i was scaring the crap out of this car with talk of keeping it forever, yet no tracking in 14,000 miles!
LOL
Old 03-15-2017, 10:51 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 625 Likes on 299 Posts

Speaking to Michelin engineers at Amelia this weekend the Cup 2 must get to 205-215 for it to count as a heat cycle. Anything below doesn't count. Also look out for something above the Cup 2 by the end of the year. And it won't be a 2 lap special tire either. Wear rating will be at least as good as Cup2 currently.

Quick Reply: Understanding Tire Wear After Track Day