Sponsored by:

r, 4.0, and gt2rs at manhattan motorcars

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 10:56 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Two previous owners and only 130 miles, this car will not see 200 by the looks of it.
Who owns a car like that and puts 130 miles on it in 6 years? I would be at 1,000 miles the first weekend.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:30 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Who owns a car like that and puts 130 miles on it in 6 years? I would be at 1,000 miles the first weekend.
Exactly. "Hey, I have a 997 4.0 but I don't know what it drives like". I guess to each their own.
By the way Rob, that was 2 owners and 130 miles.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:58 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly. "Hey, I have a 997 4.0 but I don't know what it drives like". I guess to each their own.
To each their own, as you suggest. Circumstances change, motivations change, who knows.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:26 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,784 Likes on 2,371 Posts

hahaha
Old 03-11-2017, 10:03 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

The 4.0RS is very clean...made offer I thought was fair.

They want more $$$

Going to look at a Rennlister's CGT this morning.

First class problems...unfortunately the CGT isn't black but you never know.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:06 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 865 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
People have decided to make a collectors market in rare/numbered Porsche's. So it has become "art" instead of what it was designed to be - an awesome driving vehicle. The market now states that low mileage, black ones are rare and therefore the price is high. A large percentage of the original batch made will not be driven as they are "collectible". The higher the price goes the more they will not be driven as moderately wealthy people cannot pass up the opportunity to make a profit to sell to collectors. They would rather have a $400K profit and drive something else e.g. a 675LT (with $300K in the bank for tires etc.).
Old 03-11-2017, 10:46 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tracked (DE's) my 4.0 for 2 seasons.
Car was a monster
No regrets enjoyed it immensely
Attached Images  
Old 03-11-2017, 11:07 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Anyone see the 4.0 RS sell at Gooding and Co today for $748!

Hammer is down! The highly optioned, legendary 2011 #Porsche 997 #GT3 RS 4.0 leaves the block for $748,000!
The 911's were the only cars which seemed to sell. I would say yesterday was a bit of a bellweather event which signaled the end of the bubble.. first auctions of the season, some really high ticket cars like the xkss going across the block, and nothing got even close to minimums. Check that CGT... 100 miles on it if I'm not mistaken.. didn't sell at $700k. If I had a collection I wanted to get rid of, I'd do it fast.
Attached Images       
Old 03-11-2017, 02:41 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
The 911's were the only cars which seemed to sell. I would say yesterday was a bit of a bellweather event which signaled the end of the bubble.. first auctions of the season, some really high ticket cars like the xkss going across the block, and nothing got even close to minimums. Check that CGT... 100 miles on it if I'm not mistaken.. didn't sell at $700k. If I had a collection I wanted to get rid of, I'd do it fast.
I'd LOVE nothing more than CGTs to come off in meaningful way (no harm meant to current CGT owners including good friend and RL'er). I know I'm short that car; just don't have the proper time or space it would deserve. But have to own one before it's over.

I think the car market was fun/easy a few years ago to pick awesome cars to drive that you felt had limited downside in near-term and plenty of upside over the long-haul. Even once the overall car market started to heat up, it was slow to react and inefficient. There were some obvious cars that didn't have the spot-light at a given moment, that clearly had every ingredient to pop; and as soon as the WTB adds popped up, they went. That was fun too but it was the beginning of the end of these cars being priced to be a driving hobby. Today the market has forced me to keep only things that I want somewhat "permanently". It's tough to "rent" an experience on an amazing machine w/out out-laying a lot of capital and taking a lot of downside and bid/ask.

IMO, It was probably mispriced before and it's mispriced now on the opposite end of spectrum and it spent very little time in between. A correction to wash out some of the non-enthusiast fast money and the start of a slow grind higher over long haul would be a much better market for those that want to drive and enjoy these machines for a long time. I'd like to see them return to being high dollar machines again instead of art that is rolled from spot to spot. May not happen? Plenty of othet people with different opinions.

Good luck on any three of the cars listed in this thread. I've owned 2/3 and they are amazing. And can't ever go wrong with CGT as one of most thrilling drive experiences on the planet.

Quick Reply: r, 4.0, and gt2rs at manhattan motorcars