Sponsored by:

Purchase .1 GT3 or wait for .2... indecision...advice appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 01:39 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by brownan
I'll go a different direction and say go find yourself a 997.1 GT3. Full experience, manual, not depreciating, all time classic. Also dimensionally more appealing.
Yeaaah, I think you might find some people that disagree with that statement.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:17 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 703 Posts

Originally Posted by vodavoda
Let me clarify: when I made the comment "the dealer described the GT3 as “bullet proof” ", this comment was from a Porsche dealership salesman when looking at a car they had. This is not the car I'm currently in negotiations on though.

The car I'm negotiating on is a private party sale. It's '15 with 8K miles and the "perfect" color and options. My initial thought was this is perfect! Totally excited. Then read the misfire thread and I became a bit deflated. Now after getting everyone's feedback, I'm 70% back to excited.

Going to call the dealer tomorrow about the .2 allocation and weigh my options. The thing is with the .2, I'll be paying substantially more since have to pay sales tax, so build similar to the '15 I've found will probably end up costing me about $178K after taxes, etc. Versus, the '15 .1GT3 which will be $143K all-in. Maybe a moot issue though as sounds like I could drive the .2 for a few years and then sell it for my initial purchase price. '15 may drop further.

2 more questions:

1. Has a poll been done to determine how many .1's have issues and how many don't? I mean with my '06 997, the IMS issues seem blown way up in online discussions, but in talking with three different Porsche dealer techs at three busy locations, none had ever seen a single one in an '06 or newer. I didn't like the idea that it may happen, but it didn't stop me from enjoying the car, and it didn't happen. Is this similar to the .1 GT3 where it is a small percentage?

2. Is there an option to extend the warranty through Porsche if done before initial warranty expires? (realize can't be CPO'd since private party sale)
1-Very small percentage of .1s have issues. To get the most exact number, do a search for a fellow named macca, and then send him a PM.

2-my understanding is that its very hard to get an extended warranty through Porsche on a GT3, that you bought privately. Some dealers won't even do it on their own cars.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:19 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 703 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Yeaaah, I think you might find some people that disagree with that statement.
Agree with archimedes, while the 997 GT3s certainly offer a different driving experience compared to 991s, the 991 GT3s are definitely more attractive cars cosmetically.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:12 PM
Norcal_GT3
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
1-Very small percentage of .1s have issues. To get the most exact number, do a search for a fellow named macca, and then send him a PM.

2-my understanding is that its very hard to get an extended warranty through Porsche on a GT3, that you bought privately. Some dealers won't even do it on their own cars.
Soon after I bought my CPO 2014 GT3 with 4k miles, I began reading about the problems on Rennlist and was initially very concerned though I ultimately reached a similar conclusion.

Only a small percentage of .1 cars have been affected by the follower issue and Porsche has been handling these under warranty when they come up. There are many stories about heavily tracked .1 cars that are doing just fine. The fix, should one be required, is generally a top end rebuild to the newer G spec as the bottom end on these motors has been bulletproof since the defective bolt issues were addressed under the early recall.

The reality with any performance cars is that the more aggressively you drive them, the more frequent and extensive will be the associated maintenance. Based on what I've seen reported here, it is unlikely that you will see anything less that the expected service life if you don't encounter problems during the warranty period.

The car is incredible and a significant improvement in looks (IMO) and performance over the awesome 997 GT3. The .2 car will offer even more performance and the option of a manual transmission at a significant time and cost premium for those who haven't been assured a launch allocation. Who knows what gremlins will reveal themselves with the new car, it will take a couple years to assemble any meaningful field data.

YMMV but I'm willing to accept the statistically minimal risk of a top end rebuild post warranty and keep my .1, that's really what all of this worry boils down to.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:01 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well said. Great insight from all
Old 02-26-2017, 06:42 PM
strettyend
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts

Just to offer my 2 cents but I just picked up a .1 under CPO and it is without a doubt the best car I have ever driven. I would pull the trigger on a .1 and in a year or two you will have a much better shot at getting an allocation for a .2 or beyond. Seriously the car is amazing!
Old 02-26-2017, 08:11 PM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another option is to purchase an aftermarket extended warranty such as EasyCare. That's what I did on my 2015 GT3. Do a search on for this as I have disclosed details on this previously. By doing so, you can purchase a 991.1 GT3 and not have to worry once the factory warranty expires
Old 02-26-2017, 10:29 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Originally Posted by OCturbo
Another option is to purchase an aftermarket extended warranty such as EasyCare. That's what I did on my 2015 GT3. Do a search on for this as I have disclosed details on this previously. By doing so, you can purchase a 991.1 GT3 and not have to worry once the factory warranty expires
Going to look into for sure. Thanks for the tip. Obviously you checked into and misfire, etc.... Engine covered? Assuming that track use would void.?
Old 02-26-2017, 11:38 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it's possible that knowledge of these issues hasn't really reached the wider general market, and dealers trying to sell you a used car will have a vested interest in minimizing the potential issue. If you're comfortable with the purchase, consider the premise that the wider market hasn't yet priced this issue in and try to renegotiate price with seller. Always be ready to walk away.. lots of 991.1 GT3 for sale, and soon many more will hit market as owners upgrade because of 991.2 or because of warranty expiry fears. If you have the patience to wait, you will win... buying this today hoping for the best is ok, but paying too price while having this nagging concern in your head is not ok.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:18 AM
vodavoda
Racer

My criteria that I'm looking for is:
1. Private party purchase (not dealer) for tax reasons
2. Sapphire blue
3. Around 8k miles or so
4. Must have front axle lift
5. Must have 18-way seats
6. Must have extended leather

Options I want but can go without :
1. Heated seats
2. Sports chrono
3. Gun metal wheels

Well the car I'm pursuing has all my "must haves" and all my "extras"... and I have the price at $143k.... Maybe the price will be less when. 2 releases, but....
Old 02-27-2017, 12:36 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by vodavoda
My criteria that I'm looking for is:
1. Private party purchase (not dealer) for tax reasons
2. Sapphire blue
3. Around 8k miles or so
4. Must have front axle lift
5. Must have 18-way seats
6. Must have extended leather

Options I want but can go without :
1. Heated seats
2. Sports chrono
3. Gun metal wheels

Well the car I'm pursuing has all my "must haves" and all my "extras"... and I have the price at $143k.... Maybe the price will be less when. 2 releases, but....
I know your are looking for SB, but for comp purposes, my local dealer has a GR 2015 CPO 8k miles, 18 ways, leather, etc (MSRP of 152k) for 146k.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:24 AM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As others have mentioned a vast majority (my guess is 90%) of people who have gt3's or are in the market for one, have no idea there are potential problems with the 991 gt3 motor. I spoke with my service advisor and he is unaware of any wisespread problems or of any catestrophic engine failures.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:20 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 114 Posts

My dealer while smaller than some in larger cities has never had a GT3 engine issue.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:17 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OCturbo
As others have mentioned a vast majority (my guess is 90%) of people who have gt3's or are in the market for one, have no idea there are potential problems with the 991 gt3 motor. I spoke with my service advisor and he is unaware of any wisespread problems or of any catestrophic engine failures.
Originally Posted by white6speed
My dealer while smaller than some in larger cities has never had a GT3 engine issue.
A few months back I asked the same question with two of the top dealers here and both gave me the same answer, never had any issue's with the engine or heard of any. Now they might have been told to keep things quiet but I'm sure they've at least been told of it.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:13 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

When I bought my GT3 I gave this some thought and decided I didn't care about it. What happens, happens. The car is amazing and if it burns up on the track the likelihood is Porsche will stand behind it. Regardless - cross that bridge when I come to it.

If one thinks that this issue would continue to be on their mind. Each time they turn the key they would wonder. Then I think passing on the .1 GT3 is the right move. The car is designed to be hammered on the track. If fear of an engine failure lingers in the mind it probably ruins the experience. And at that point, what are you buying?

Quick Reply: Purchase .1 GT3 or wait for .2... indecision...advice appreciated