R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I know what happened. There is a video on Youtube to prove it:

Old 02-28-2017, 11:10 AM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 180 Posts

OP there's only one "right thing" to be done here. The shop should either buy you a new GT3RS or give you full replacement value. And the owner should take care to make sure that this is done fast.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:11 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
OP there's only one "right thing" to be done here. The shop should either buy you a new GT3RS or give you full replacement value. And the owner should take care to make sure that this is done fast.
You can't buy a new GT3RS right now.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:17 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,519 Posts

I think this car will be fixed (only if, hopefully no frame damage, and no salvaged title) and someone will be able to buy a beautiful GT3RS at a big discount to market, keep it very long term and drive the wheels off it. And Ccapx gets an unblemished car and satisfactory settlement. That would be lemonade for all.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:34 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
In the States there's roughly 16 for sale as new with delivery miles only, and at least 20 more for sale with <1,000 miles.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:39 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,881 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
In the States there's roughly 16 for sale as new with delivery miles only, and at least 20 more for sale with <1,000 miles.
Yup, there are two brand new ones within 10 miles of me right now.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:30 PM
chio4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think Bob even owns the shop anymore! They were great in the 80-90's for sure with Porsches.. he would be the only one who would be able to fix some of our race cars and he even drove some for us, my dad got turned on to them by a Guy names Paul Robinson who owned GR restaurant group!! Just WOW...

Originally Posted by Ccapx
Yes people clearly figured it out. At this point, it is now fairly well known around KC (where I am located) because I'm having to call and get estimates and talk to people about the car. I am still holding out the shop does the right thing (not even sure what that is anymore). At this point the leverage seems irrelevant, they can't pay out of pocket, it's in insurance's hands and both companies are likely to be involved. Chio4, yes they are one of the well respected Porsche shops in KC and were recommended to me by Fabspeed to do the work. They also did my exhaust and tune on my 2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder (you'll see that on the facebook page as well) so I threw them A TON of work. This is clearly one of those cases were the temptation to do something stupid was too great. If I can't buy it, I won't even think about breaking it. Anyway from here, I am hoping to keep everyone updated on damage costs, replacement values, how the fight goes, if nothing else everyone here has been awesome so if I can provide a road map for any of the pieces happy to do it. Also will put together something more detailed. I own a business as well and so I know how hard it is to make it go and how one incredibly stupid decision can end that business. I am pushing to be in the same position I was in last Wednesday, nothing more and not get screwed. In my business we call this "tail" risk and we do everything we can to avoid it. Whole thing sucks.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:37 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,519 Posts

Originally Posted by chio4
I dont think Bob even owns the shop anymore! ...
Correct. Current owner is Aaron Holstrom.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:41 PM
chio4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexVan
Correct. Current owner is Aaron Holstrom.
UGH hate to hear that!!!
Old 02-28-2017, 01:57 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,087 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I bought a new one last week.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:59 PM
Ccapx
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Porsche of Downtown LA has 2 or 3, Circle Porsche also has a couple.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:47 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,466 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmd
You are a true gentleman.
Agree - I do not know if I could be the same but I guess once it is done there is really nothing you can do to reverse the accident. Cooler heads prevail they say so good for OP
Old 02-28-2017, 03:17 PM
Ccapx
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Worst part is when the owner called me, I started laughing because I was sure he was kidding (thought te car was ready to be picked up). Surely no one turns off the traction control and launches the car into a building???? Silence....... Then meltdown. I should have a damage number today.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:03 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,326 Likes on 617 Posts

Worst part is when the owner called me, I started laughing because I was sure he was kidding (thought te car was ready to be picked up). Surely no one turns off the traction control and launches the car into a building????
Ugh. What an awful call to get. I tend to believe people will take reasonable care with other people's cars—especially nice ones. It's just the right thing to do. Accidents happen, but this wasn't an accident. It was a high likelihood arising from a series of bad decisions. The first one was turning TC off. Sadly for everyone involved—most of all you, if no one was injured—things didn't get better from there. Then again, there are few of us who haven't made a bad decision.

Still, the burnout/drift obsession is interesting. Illegal on a public road unless it's closed, and idiotic since it's slower and half the car is no longer hooked up—leaving a microscopic margin for error...if you're really good at drifting. Any Mustang video online is enough to suggest you don't have to be going fast for it to go bad in a hurry. Meanwhile, no track day I can think of will allow one to drift the track. So...

The way you've handled this is admirable. Cars can be fixed. Relationships, too. I hope you'll stick around Rennlist for a very long time to come.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:06 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Surely no one turns off the traction control and launches the car into a building???

Not even a 19yr old valet at a hotel or whatever.

So you entrust your car with a shop that supposedly specializes in high end SPORTS CAR MECHANICS and are supposed to take care of these machines, but beat the **** out of them instead. Can't imagine what they've been doing to other cars in their care.

Thanks for sharing your story here. I'm sure will be a help to others here and to also be cautious where you leave your car.

So, is there a chance you'll keep it if repairable? Did you spec the build yourself?

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 RS Wrecked while at Speed Shop