Sponsored by:

Alternative reality/facts, Porsche style

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 10:30 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts
Default Alternative reality/facts, Porsche style

DISCLAIMER: It's my first time starting a speculation thread, and I'm not on speaking terms with my cleaning lady (after she moved my carefully adjusted speakers), so this is for entertainment purposes only.

The release of the new Panamera Turbo S and the marketing/press narrative associated with it is opening up a very interesting direction for Porsche.

For those not in the loop - the new Panamera Turbo S is a 680HP hybrid. It's also not a terrible value - if you add all the options it includes as standard, it's something like $10K on top of Turbo for extra 130HP and better fuel economy. It's very likely that relative margin on this car is lower than on a well-optioned regular Turbo.

So it's strategic role is not exactly a money maker. It has a very different reason to exist. It's Step 1 in "training" Porsche buyers to accept a hybrid at a top performance option (918 seems more of a canary rather than the first step in full-on strategy, but what do I know). The press and marketing narrative makes it pretty clear that that's the case, and probably for ALL model lines.

So if we accept it as truth, how will the 911 line progress?

Could it be that we will see the following in the next gen:
3.8 Turbo (S) -> 3.0 Hybrid (can also take care of AWD this way)
4.0 GT3 (RS) -> 3.8 Turbo (RWD, no hybrid)?
Old 02-25-2017, 01:39 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Panamera Turbo S hybrid package its 226kg for 130HP
Old 02-25-2017, 02:40 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
Panamera Turbo S hybrid package its 226kg for 130HP
Yes, but it's not that far off from the weight difference between Carrera S and Turbo, and you do not need the battery size as big a smaller car (50km for a 5000lb of the car on electric alone is not a small battery), so it can be a lighter option for a 911.

Anyway, not saying it will happen, but it could make sense.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:04 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Yes, but it's not that far off from the weight difference between Carrera S and Turbo, and you do not need the battery size as big a smaller car (50km for a 5000lb of the car on electric alone is not a small battery), so it can be a lighter option for a 911.

Anyway, not saying it will happen, but it could make sense.
Absolutely sense eventhough Carrera S is not 4wd so the weight is an issue at least for GT lines

anyway from next September '17 afterall "only" 23km are the road test needed to pass EU6b emissions test

and remembering my last .1 GT3 at cold start
i wonder how any GT could pass it if not helped ...
Old 02-25-2017, 07:58 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I like the concept: engine plus hybrid. What's not to like about the 918 and 919. The 997RSR with hybrid was a monster too. What I have not interest in whatsoever is an electric only car. The biggest issue is addressing the extra weight. Does that mean a smaller displacement engine?

Quick Reply: Alternative reality/facts, Porsche style