lnirenberg
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 68 Posts

I will post more pictures and details as build moves along
Old 02-08-2017, 08:31 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Re: Crawford wing... How do you balance that in the front?
Old 02-09-2017, 09:50 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Fatigue is a huge factor. I usually spend the last session of the day in the shade with a cold one. Remember, your not the only one fatigued. It's not just your mistake that can be catastrophic.
Now THIS is good to hear. I'm virtually the only one that doesn't do the final session here at Spa francorchamps. I always feel utterly drained yet strangely reborn by the time the last session starts, if you know what I mean. Like my body and mind have reset, and discarded the daily life and business crap.
Depending on the weather I take a hot or a cold beverage, lean on the pitwall and enjoy the race and track cars that roar by.
I always feel like a ***** for skipping the last session, good to know I'm not the only one :-)
Old 02-09-2017, 10:48 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

The potentially dangerous cocktail of increased confidence matched with increased tiredness is a good reason why sitting out the last session on track days makes so much sense
Old 02-09-2017, 11:03 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,487 Posts

Sitting out the last session comes down to the driver.

Fatigue, dehydration, and sleep deprivation effects are often worse than we realize. Caffeine can help, and naps are even better. Regarding hydration, if you're not peeing every hour or two, you're probably not hydrating well enough.

When I evaluated safety incident data, I did find that there tended to be more incidents towards the beginning and end of events.

The incidents towards the beginning of events were more commonly advanced drivers and instructors, with overconfidence likely being a contributing factor.

The incidents towards the end of events were more commonly novice to intermediate drivers. In addition to fatigue, dehydration, and sleep deprivation, I suspect that pushing harder to get in some "best laps" before going home was also a common factor.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:26 AM
rxtrom
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lnirenberg
I will post more pictures and details as build moves along
Looks like you have a quality porsche race shop helping with the build. I hear nothing but good things about Musante. They are about 5 minutes from me too but I have never been there yet.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:02 AM
lnirenberg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rxtrom
Looks like you have a quality porsche race shop helping with the build. I hear nothing but good things about Musante. They are about 5 minutes from me too but I have never been there yet.
Chris is extremely knowledgable and shop does 1st class work. Big presence in racing support and is a big help in specing this build.

As to balancing the front per separate posts on Crawford wing it isn't necessary however the cup front theoretically has added downforce vs GT3 OEM.

As to fatigue and last session, I have always believed in my skiing approach which is quit before the last run of the day and I typically dial back the last session just working on line and hitting all the apexes etc. Unfortunately, this day was on the cool side and I hit some lap time targets I had been working on all season which made it challenging to not go for more. I was focused on physical fatigue which was nonexistent vs mental fatigue which clearly was while trying to bring more speed into turns. Hind-sight being 20-20 I live and learn.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:01 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Re: Crawford wing... How do you balance that in the front?
You could adjust the swaybars to increase oversteer or decrease understeer, but after testing the Crawford Wing on Track, I've never felt the need to make any further adjustments. The higher and more effective Wing reduces the oversteer on high speed sweepers and the tailwagging on high speed Threshhold braking while yielding a clear view of traffic through the back window. If their are any negatives to the Wing, I haven't found them yet in 3 years and 19,000 miles of Road and Track driving.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:58 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will second FLT's thoughts on Crawford. I added the RS America CF dive planes to my car, as well as a touch of rake to the suspension geo. It fits for my track.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:27 PM
GT3 Jockey
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Did this happen at Thompson? I was there. Happy to see that you're ok and the car is turning into a dedicated track car. Sounds like an awesome project
Old 02-16-2017, 07:35 AM
lnirenberg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3 Jockey
Did this happen at Thompson? I was there. Happy to see that you're ok and the car is turning into a dedicated track car. Sounds like an awesome project
Thompson it was
Old 02-16-2017, 11:44 AM
lnirenberg
Rennlist Member

The new door panels eliminate speakers & other weight and makes room to move the cage out.

Plus a simplified version of this to cover the opening when the hvac and double din units come out.
Attached Images   
Old 03-02-2017, 07:06 PM
lnirenberg
Rennlist Member

The project is moving along towards my goal of having it track worthy by mid-april.
Pics of Crawford Wing, Covers for headlights (in this case lack thereof), new 19" forgelines with 325 rear and 285 front. A little rubbing on front inner wheel wells on full lock, which won't be a problem on track, but plan is to modify enough so rubbing is a non-issue.
Attached Images     
Old 03-03-2017, 11:21 AM
fsts2k
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks really nice
Old 03-03-2017, 09:48 PM
cweed
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

Was down there the other day, coming along nicely! Looking forward to seeing it completed and wrapped.

Quick Reply: GT3 resurection