Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove my 2015TTS and a 2016GT3RS back to back.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 11:18 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I'm looking for a good commuter, that my son could also drive to high school some days. Would the RS be good for that?
I had a brief moment of anger followed by a legitimate laugh. Thanks for that.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:38 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymission
I had a brief moment of anger followed by a legitimate laugh. Thanks for that.
I read that and I am thinking "What the hell are you thinking? Get them a 918."
Old 02-01-2017, 11:45 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I read that and I am thinking "What the hell are you thinking? Get them a 918."
My business partner bought his 16 year old a Panamera Turbo for his birthday and two weeks later it was in the shop for almost $5k in paint repairs because of getting keyed all over the place at school. Maybe needless to say: he's the founder and majority owner of the company. I'm the young guy taking over (+ learning lessons from him) and my daughter is getting a used Jetta. LOL
Old 02-01-2017, 11:51 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

My business partner bought his 16 year old a Panamera Turbo for his birthday and two weeks later it was in the shop for almost $5k in paint repairs because of getting keyed all over the place at school. Maybe needless to say: he's the founder and majority owner of the company. I'm the young guy taking over (+ learning lessons from him) and my daughter is getting a used Jetta. LOL
16 and a Panamera Turbo. Damn. It was Honda and Toyota for my kids. And the next one is on them. But a used Jetta works! Let them learn with something that is safe, and inexpensive. Panamera Turbo? Really?
Old 02-01-2017, 12:53 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Yup. My son wanted to drive my Porsches to school and I told him that I wasn't worried about his driving at all. I was worried about the car getting vandalized by some jealous dicks. He understood.

Funny story though, I finally relented once and told him I'd let him take my Cayman S to school one day. He said no, he wanted the Carrera, because the Cayman's brakes squealed sometimes and it would embarrass him driving into the parking lot and have the brakes squeal. You can guess what I told him to do at that point...
Old 02-01-2017, 06:04 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Yup. My son wanted to drive my Porsches to school and I told him that I wasn't worried about his driving at all. I was worried about the car getting vandalized by some jealous dicks. He understood.

Funny story though, I finally relented once and told him I'd let him take my Cayman S to school one day. He said no, he wanted the Carrera, because the Cayman's brakes squealed sometimes and it would embarrass him driving into the parking lot and have the brakes squeal. You can guess what I told him to do at that point...
Hopefully you told him we pay extra for the squeal.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:06 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Hopefully you told him we pay extra for the squeal.
I told him to enjoy driving his base model Camry to school.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:19 PM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
If daily - Turbo. If special occasion driving - RS.
Originally Posted by bronson7
This would be my exact response.
If i could afford one: RS all day, every day
Old 02-02-2017, 03:44 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Harry Da Hamster
If i could afford one: RS all day, every day
I daily drove GT3 for over 2 years. It's great but Turbo is better for daily, especially longer drives. But then I lived in California, where a Cayenne is faster than GT3 90% of the time due to road conditions.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:06 PM
TimeWaitsFNM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test drove the TT then went with the GT3 due to depreciation and finding a great mint 2015 just how I'd have ordered it.

I would DD the GT3 to work but I don't want to leave it un-attended for that long in a parking garage. It has the 18 way seats FWIW.

My work car is a supercharged custom 700whp Challenger (nothing from intake to exhaust tips isn't modified). It was my garage queen baby before the GT3, now it feels like driving a pickup truck in comparison.

I drive the GT3 to the store, to pick the kids up from school (1 at a time), date night, picking up dinner, etc.

The Challenger literally drives me to work and back. I'd drive the GT3 to work daily if I had spacious covered parking.

Maybe it depends on the roads, here in Frisco/Plano, everything is new concrete and wide lanes. It rides likes a steel roller-coaster.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:29 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

Dealer probably forced him to buy the Panamera so that he could get a GT3 RS at MSRP. . .

Quick Reply: Drove my 2015TTS and a 2016GT3RS back to back.