Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 08:14 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
Not really, the price point will be smaller than the price point between the GT cars and the McLarens. If you can afford the 600LT you can afford the 750LT. It will be here sooner than you think
You are wrong. Two much different price points.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:22 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmd

You are wrong. Two much different price points.

Exactly this.

The 600lt optioned "normally" will be a 270k car (which is 30k in options...so a really nice amount of fun stuff even still). The 7XXLT is going to be a 450-500k car ALL day long, completely different price brackets for a car like this, and not everyone will want the 7, as the sport series size works better for most people (Coming from a 650s right now and thats how I feel after spending time in the 570 and a 720)
Old 07-14-2018, 08:58 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by moab

I’ll get disagreement on this board for sure. But in the real world, for every one person who has commented that they love my 911, I’d get 10 saying the same thing about the mclaren.
Sure, the average lemming on the street sees the spaceship suoercar styling and they love it. But they typically don’t know their *** from their elbow when it comes to cars. People who know cars know the trade offs and pros cons of both cars. And a lot of those people would disagree with you.

Last week there was a 12C parked in downtown Carmel I was standing next to when dude bro walking by pronounced to all his entourage that it was an F1... The conversation just got goofier from there.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:16 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

Very good points and info above.

Since i I own both I’ll try and add my perspective.

Ive had my 570S longer than any “exotic” I have ever owned. It just does so many things right and at a “reasonable” price point. It looks amazing, has great steering feel, and does both street driving and track well. As for the track, you must put both the power train and handling in track mode. More importantly you have to press ESC off to put it in ESC Dynamic mode. Totally different car in this mode. With all that said there is still a touch of turbo lag that you do not get in a GT3 of course. The boost on the McLaren is thrilling. The 570S in comfort mode is better on the street than the GT3.

I love both the GT3 and the 570S. Different looks and different driving experiences. It’s nice to have an alternative.

Porsche dealers have changed. I’ve been buying from the same dealer for 7 years always at MSRP on GT cars. Lately, they have found ways to make some money back on you. I won’t get into it, but Nizer is correct. The longtime customer no longer is as valued as he/she used to be. Buying a GT car nowadays is more stressful and the games being played can be exhausting. There is something to be said to walk into a McLaren dealer and buy a fabulous car with F1 heritage at MSRP or less. The car is exotic. The car is more an event to drive. In addition, McLaren stands by their tracked cars like Porsche does in my experience.

Everyone’s comeback to all this is that McLaren depreciation is brutal. Yes, it’s not great. Has anyone here bought a Turbo S at MSRP or less and tried to sell it a year later? I have. Just as brutal. Actually worse than 570S depreciation. GT3 and GT3 RS are of course a different story. The McLaren LT versions are better, but still not GT3/RS category.

Porsche is more available, more common, and easier to have serviced since dealer network is superb. I have 4 local Porsche dealers and a McLaren dealer so I’m lucky this is not an issue. My second 570S has been bulletproof. Only visited dealer once in last 6 months for its service. My first 570S was a disaster with electrical gremlins and paint damage from transport/Sterling McLaren in VA. I was ready to bail from the brand after that experience, but I did not. McLaren of Dallas helped make it right.

I have owned a multitude of cars including Porsche, McLaren, Ferrari, and Lamborghini and I can tell you that the McLaren 570S is the most photographed and videoed car I have ever owned. This is both good and bad. The driving experience is second to none and it is always an event driving it. This is not for everybody and some days not for me either.

So, would I choose a 600LT or a 991.2 GT3 RS? I don’t know. Hard question to answer. Financially, RS for sure. I want both! However, I can’t afford both.

If you want to keep a car for a while, do not lose sleep about resale value, and want cutting edge F1 technology and heritage with killer looks, the McLaren is fantastic.

If you want 911 styling, kick *** track performance and reliability, and easy dealer access, the GT3/RS is awesome. The dealer mark ups and games sour this experience nowadays.

I enjoy both. It’s hard to pick a favorite. This is also dependent on the owners mood, personality, and life satisfaction. The current Porsche games really decrease this enjoyment unfortunately.

I love the manual transmission. Porsche 911 GT3 gives me that. I tend to keep my manual cars longer and enjoy them longer.

If I was forced to pick one car and only one car to own, it would have to be a PDK GT3 RS (street/track/emotion). It’s a good thing I’m not forced to.

Last edited by kyrocks; 07-15-2018 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:40 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

I get a lot of people ogling my Mac. A lot more than my gone 2015 GT3, but not near as many as my 07 Frogger GT 3RS. Meh, don't care one way or the other. But yesterday at work I was in the parking lot with my guys on break and an armored car slowed down and turned into the small lot. Driver headed straight for my car to look at it. For sure I motioned to him but he took a very short look and got the hell out of there. I did not expect him to open his window and he did not. May have lost his job because of GPS tracking. This morning a couple pulled in and asked me a lot about it because I was again outside. They will be coming to BMW autocross very soon I think.

Not buying a car because there will be a better one coming out shortly? When your doc says you have 10 days to live be sure to buy your car at 9 days 23 hours. How long are you going to be alive? How long are you going to be dead? Do the math and buy the frigging thing. Drive it and enjoy it. Let some others have a crack at getting "the next big thing". Let them have their glory. Then start the process over.
Asl me if I give a flying s*it.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:18 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Exactly this.

The 600lt optioned "normally" will be a 270k car (which is 30k in options...so a really nice amount of fun stuff even still). The 7XXLT is going to be a 450-500k car ALL day long, completely different price brackets for a car like this, and not everyone will want the 7, as the sport series size works better for most people (Coming from a 650s right now and thats how I feel after spending time in the 570 and a 720)
The Clubsport Pro Pack alone is 35K and decent paint will cost you 7K plus some "mild" macca carbon bits put you at 280-290K. The 675LT was what 350K, 375K for the spyder? The 720S starts at 290K why would you think the LT will be 160k more? My bet is 400K will be a barrier and likely for them to keep the price under that mark 375-390K this keeps is well in 488 Pista territory and GT2RS. McLaren are looking to increase production and sales....not just production but hey, right or wrong, no one on this forum knows anything at this point
Old 07-15-2018, 12:52 AM
rollsroy
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

The Clubsport Pro Pack alone is 35K and decent paint will cost you 7K plus some "mild" macca carbon bits put you at 280-290K. The 675LT was what 350K, 375K for the spyder? The 720S starts at 290K why would you think the LT will be 160k more? My bet is 400K will be a barrier and likely for them to keep the price under that mark 375-390K this keeps is well in 488 Pista territory and GT2RS. McLaren are looking to increase production and sales....not just production but hey, right or wrong, no one on this forum knows anything at this point
Are you saying $100k difference in price is small?
Old 07-15-2018, 09:52 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,382 Likes on 2,493 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks

Ive had my 570S longer than any “exotic” I have ever owned. It just does so many things right and at a “reasonable” price point. It looks amazing, has great steering feel, and does both street driving and track well. As for the track, you must put both the power train and handling in track mode. More importantly you have to press ESC off to put it in ESC Dynamic mode. Totally different car in this mode. With all that said there is still a touch of turbo lag that you do not get in a GT3 of course. The boost on the McLaren is thrilling. The 570S in comfort mode is better on the street than the GT3.

Thanks for this informative post. A few questions for you and other 570S owners with track experience:

- Does it need or benefit from a track alignment (camber increase, rear toe-in to stabilize the rear under braking, etc.)?

- What are the options to make it less oversteery/loose? Are the sway bars adjustable?

- Besides the Trofeo R, are there any other good tire options which provide more grip than the Corsa?
Old 07-15-2018, 11:14 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Thanks for this informative post. A few questions for you and other 570S owners with track experience:

- Does it need or benefit from a track alignment (camber increase, rear toe-in to stabilize the rear under braking, etc.)?

- What are the options to make it less oversteery/loose? Are the sway bars adjustable?

- Besides the Trofeo R, are there any other good tire options which provide more grip than the Corsa?
A track alignment will definitely help. I have stock alignment because I drive it mostly on the street.

Sway bars are definitely adjustable. I really like the oversteer, though. It makes the car easy to rotate but if you gently lift off the throttle then get on it when straightened out, the car goes through the turns very well. Keep in mind, the drawback to this car is the lack of aero. It is twitchy at high speeds and sometimes under hard braking. It was engineered for the street. It is not a hardcore track car, but it is a more than capable DE car.

I use Trofeo R. Way better than the Stock pirelli p zeros or the corsas. Some people use Hoosiers but I have not.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:25 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,875 Likes on 970 Posts

Old 07-15-2018, 01:37 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

675lt coupes were 380k-400k and spiders were 395k-450k... A lot of people aren't going to just lop on the club sport pack. Most are going to be a little more choosy. So you're definitely looking at a 110k plus swing btw the 600 and the 675, and the new 7 variant will most certainly only be more. Pretty big difference at those price points!
Old 07-15-2018, 01:49 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer

Good LORD THOSE SOUNDS.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:08 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 293 Posts

Thanks for that !

As far as service mclarensf will pickup and deliver in enclosed trailer for for free, that alone is a huge plus for me aand my lschedule!

Originally Posted by Nizer
Old 07-15-2018, 07:29 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

So that 720S that was destroyed yesterday in Virginia, one day after purchase, someone on here? Reports say driver was not seriously injured but the car was wrapped around a tree.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:29 PM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Very good points and info above.

I love both the GT3 and the 570S. Different looks and different driving experiences. It’s nice to have an alternative.

Porsche dealers have changed. I’ve been buying from the same dealer for 7 years always at MSRP on GT cars. Lately, they have found ways to make some money back on you. I won’t get into it, but Nizer is correct. The longtime customer no longer is as valued as he/she used to be. Buying a GT car nowadays is more stressful and the games being played can be exhausting. There is something to be said to walk into a McLaren dealer and buy a fabulous car with F1 heritage at MSRP or less. The car is exotic. The car is more an event to drive. In addition, McLaren stands by their tracked cars like Porsche does in my experience.

Everyone’s comeback to all this is that McLaren depreciation is brutal. Yes, it’s not great. Has anyone here bought a Turbo S at MSRP or less and tried to sell it a year later? I have. Just as brutal. Actually worse than 570S depreciation. GT3 and GT3 RS are of course a different story. The McLaren LT versions are better, but still not GT3/RS category.

Porsche is more available, more common, and easier to have serviced since dealer network is superb. I have 4 local Porsche dealers and a McLaren dealer so I’m lucky this is not an issue. My second 570S has been bulletproof. Only visited dealer once in last 6 months for its service. My first 570S was a disaster with electrical gremlins and paint damage from transport/Sterling McLaren in VA. I was ready to bail from the brand after that experience, but I did not. McLaren of Dallas helped make it right.

I have owned a multitude of cars including Porsche, McLaren, Ferrari, and Lamborghini and I can tell you that the McLaren 570S is the most photographed and videoed car I have ever owned. This is both good and bad. The driving experience is second to none and it is always an event driving it. This is not for everybody and some days not for me either.

So, would I choose a 600LT or a 991.2 GT3 RS? I don’t know. Hard question to answer. Financially, RS for sure. I want both! However, I can’t afford both.

If you want to keep a car for a while, do not lose sleep about resale value, and want cutting edge F1 technology and heritage with killer looks, the McLaren is fantastic.

If you want 911 styling, kick *** track performance and reliability, and easy dealer access, the GT3/RS is awesome. The dealer mark ups and games sour this experience nowadays.

I enjoy both. It’s hard to pick a favorite. This is also dependent on the owners mood, personality, and life satisfaction. The current Porsche games really decrease this enjoyment unfortunately.

I love the manual transmission. Porsche 911 GT3 gives me that. I tend to keep my manual cars longer and enjoy them longer.

If I was forced to pick one car and only one car to own, it would have to be a PDK GT3 RS (street/track/emotion). It’s a good thing I’m not forced to.

Thank you for this post KY. Mclaren has had my eye for quite a while and this confirms my Porsche experience and my reading about Mclaren. I’m in a position where I have no current street car (multiple race cars) and I do have a new RS on order. I’ve really wanted a Mclaren and it is only a matter of time before I sink my teeth in. Now just to decide whether I cancel my RS order and get a Mclaren of buy both. Neither will see much or any track time.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success