Doh!!!!

Here you are....

http://www.torquenews.com/106/michel...-move-car-cold
Old 12-24-2016, 02:55 AM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Ok- update and background:

Here's what started this whole topic...my tech had mentioned something about it in passing, some time ago. Something to the effect that Porsche won't deliver if it's too cold. It was several months ago when I first spec'd the car and it was in passing. I didn't put any thought into it figuring he was certainly mistaken or I misunderstood.

Then today I get this text while we were chatting:
"Please be prepared for the cold weather scenario; cold temps = no touchie"

At first I simply challenged the whole notion stating I drove my GT3 several miles, this time last year, in cold temps (with caution). Then he sends this article:

http://www.torquenews.com/106/michel...-move-car-cold

Little more back and forth, and then he writes: "can't even roll it'

That's when I straight up asked: "are you telling me Porsche won't sell me the car if it's too cold?" (Once it's mine I'll do as I want)
He then replied: "No. We'll figure something out. Don't worry."

Maybe he was at a holiday party embibing in too much egg nog...???? ; ) LOL

Originally Posted by racer959
Get a new tech
Originally Posted by Waxer
What article?
Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
He's partly right. I looked into this with Michelin. I've taken delivery in MN at 5 degrees. If they are properly inflated and you are essentially only taking delivery you will be fine. It's all about whether or not you are actually driving the car in those temps. My car sits in an unheated garage in Mpls and it gets very cold and it's just fine..
Originally Posted by RSRRacer
Thats the stupidest **** I ever heard. As if the DOT would approve a tire that cracks at 45 degrees.

Maybe -20 degrees, but you can drive in 45 degrees all day.
Originally Posted by bronson7
Just do what's called, "common sense". Drive it into the trailer and back to your home, just don't go crazy, you'll have enough time for that. All will be well.
Originally Posted by mqandil
PHIL I own 3 cars with cup tires(GT3, GT4 & Spyder). You can drive the car all the way down to freezing 32F without damage to the tires as along as you don't store them in frozen environment. Below 45F the grip is reduced drastically and especially if it is also wet and you can get your self in trouble if you are not careful, but you won't damage the tires. I have lost one set in 2014 when I left the car parked outside for 3 weeks at temperatures ranging between 10 to 25F. Aside from this bad experience, the tires in very cold weather will not damage if you drive on them above freezing but again be careful as grip is low. Just make sure they car is not parked outside when temperatures dip below freezing. I typically would garage the cars if the temperatures dip below 35F.
Even occasional use of the tires when temperatures slightly below freezing (e.g 25 to 30F) is also ok as long as you don't park the car outside for more than couple of hours max. and just keep the car moving until safely stored inside garage. So tires sitting in below freezing temperatures are actually worse off than being driven in same weather providing temperatures are not lower than 25F. Gained lots of experience with the set I lost and asked too many questions so I don't do the same mistake again.

Finally your tech is off the mark on this as he is just rolling the car onto your trailer. That's 1 to 3 minute task. You won't even damage these tires doing the same at 20 deg below zero. The damage to tires happen at prolonged exposure and not 15 minutes of exposure at moderate low temperatures. You have noting to worry about. Mark
Originally Posted by zedcat
According to Michelin there is a risk of surface cracking if the tires are below 20F. Should not be moved if they are below 20F. If they are allowed to get that cold, should be warmed up before attempting to move the car. From Michelin support. I've driven them at 40F and just take it easy.
Originally Posted by mgerber
^ This. IIRC GM recently stopped winter deliveries of its cars with R compound tires due to this issue.
Originally Posted by ilko
I've seen high performance summer Michelins crack on Corvettes in sub-freezing temps. It is a known issue and not to be taken lightly. Not only are the tires not to be driven on, but also they need to be gradually exposed to temperature fluctuation, even in storage. As in not brought in from the shed where is 10º into the house where it's 72º.

That said, I see you're in the Northeast where the weather is quite balmy currently and will be for the next few days. It won't kill your tires to go pick up the car on Monday or Tuesday for instance.
Originally Posted by Spyerx
Phil. Ship that thing out here. I'll keep her company :-)
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Or here lol.

I've driven my car in slush and freezing temps.
No grip but no big deal. I call BS.

Or stick it on a truck to my AC warehouse!
Originally Posted by German_Saint
Had a Z4 coming out of PA on a dealer trade the other week sitting in my buddies office. Equipment froze and they couldn't lock down the vehicle.

Sounds reasonable but I'd find a warm day & get it done.
Originally Posted by loopsandsounds
Correct procedure for winter delivery:
Inflate to max PSI. Roll on trailer. Sport a poop eating grin the whole time now that you have an RS.

I followed this last week in 30 degree weather. Worked like a charm.
Or not..
Old 12-24-2016, 03:05 AM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by German_Saint
Had a Z4 coming out of PA on a dealer trade the other week sitting in my buddies office. Equipment froze and they couldn't lock down the vehicle.

Sounds reasonable but I'd find a warm day & get it done.
Hey bud! How ya been!

Can you expand on your commentary? I'm not following.....

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2016, 03:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I call BS too...

Did my ED in Europe in December 2013 for the GT3 on MPSC2. Traveled mostly above 7c but had a few icy sideways moments - that said no dramas even at 0C.
Attached Images  
Old 12-24-2016, 05:52 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

You better double check this but the MPSC2 works down to 14°F (-10°C).
Old 12-24-2016, 07:55 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Phil: Does water crack at 45*? I've driven mine up to recently in 45* weather. Let it sit outside in cold while I had a nice hot coco playing on RL then drove it home. I did have to wait for the little blue "i'm too cold to drive me yet" light to go off.

Did go a bit slower knowing traction not maximized.

No issues.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:48 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

I call BS as well. Ask yourself this, does Porsche stop delivering GT3/RS on un-heated transports when it's cold?

Practically speaking, your RS should be in the dealership's heated garage until delivery and as soon as it starts rolling tires start generating internal heat.

To be fair, I wouldn't leave it outside in 10 degree temps and hop in and go but just how often does that happen to someone's RS??
Old 12-24-2016, 10:53 AM
rsierra
Banned

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

My GT3 was delivered when it was 10 degrees F. No problems.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:28 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Or not..
Peter, one of my all time favourite pics.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:35 AM
loopsandsounds
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kobalt
You better double check this but the MPSC2 works down to 14°F (-10°C).
^This is the official recommendation from Michelin themselves.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:36 AM
loopsandsounds
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Name:  photo527.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  274.5 KB
Old 12-24-2016, 01:50 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I have driven on the R compounds down to about 28F in the dry and 35F in the wet. They worked well as long as I was careful. Figured you guys would enjoy the pic (Stevens Pass WA)...
Attached Images  
Old 12-24-2016, 03:44 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't bother to look and see what tire was on the car at the Porsche Sport Driving School in Finland.

Name:  IMG_5715.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  205.0 KB
Old 12-24-2016, 04:07 PM
EST
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

At the Porsche Sport Driving School in Finland they use winter tires not mpsc2
Old 12-24-2016, 04:10 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
I didn't bother to look and see what tire was on the car at the Porsche Sport Driving School in Finland.
Actual I think they ordered bespoke tires from a Swedish tire company, I can be wrong of course.

Quick Reply: Can't drive RS if too cold??