Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 04:01 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by stuntman
Will the value of the 911R still be ridiculously high after the next GT3 is offered as a manual? I don't get the popularity of the car other than the fact that currently all GT3s are PDK.

CJ - GT4 or GT350R?
The GT350R definitely makes better noises.

The value of the 911R will be directly proportional to the amount of "new money" guys and little broker/dealer dudes inflating the prices.

That being said- with only about 300 coming to the states...there are definitely 3000 People who can afford to buy it cash at MSRP. So, if the car really is as good as they say, it will stay above MSRP. Now, the question, how many people can really afford to pay 400k or 500k for it.

I have one coming (it's taking forever, was supposed to be done november 7th) but am not sure that I would pay 4.0RS money for one, simply due to the rarity of the 4.0RS being much higher.

I figure there are about 100-125 guys that are "sheikh" enough to just say YOLO and buy it no matter the price...but if you have not flipped your R yet, and you want to, you might be chasing a falling knife as only so many guys will really pay 300k over for a car.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:50 AM
Apolo1
Pro

Received 359 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Exactly. I was on the list for the P1 as well at the time, but ultimately, my wife put her foot down and said "choose 1 but not both." I am a Mclaren fan (even flew to England to drive the P1 at Dunsfold), but I am a bigger Porsche fan, so I chose the 918 with the real potential that it might lose 25% of its value right off the bat. In the end, it worked out for me. I sold my P1 allocation to another guy and made a small profit, and the 918 held its value quite well.
Same here, had great fun in my 12C coupe, was invited for an early P1, 2nd or 3rd slot in UK. Had a sneak Preview Aug 13, Did the P1 drive at Dunsfold, Nov 13 don't think I have ever driven car that feels so explosive even now.

But like you whilst I am a Mac Fan, I have been buying Porcshces for over 30 years. So went with 918. In Uk we were lucky with our 918s from a price prospective, ie by the time we had to pay in full for our cars, the £ had gained against the Euro, almost 40% in some cases.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:16 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Now, the question, how many people can really afford to pay 400k or 500k for it.
Plenty. But most are smart enough to know Porsche priced it correctly from the start.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:59 AM
stuntman
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

But will the value hold when the next GT3 is offered with a manual?
Old 12-31-2016, 12:38 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stuntman
But will the value hold when the next GT3 is offered with a manual?
Might soften a bit but generally yes, simply b/c it's a #'d car.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:22 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

I am a huge fan of the 911R. But the simple fact is the pricing is caused by the 918 VIP program and the fact there are so few cars available. It is a limited car but I have never seen a Porsche come out of the gate like this. Like many have stated before there were plenty of 4.0RS available at sticker.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:13 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by richk
Like many have stated before there were plenty of 4.0RS available at sticker.
Simply b/c it came out in a down market and there was no 918 VIP to deal with. Could you imagine if the 4.0 came out in todays market along with the 918 VIP. It would be a blood bath out there.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:28 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by richk
I am a huge fan of the 911R. But the simple fact is the pricing is caused by the 918 VIP program and the fact there are so few cars available. It is a limited car but I have never seen a Porsche come out of the gate like this. Like many have stated before there were plenty of 4.0RS available at sticker.
I was only 19 at the time, but IIRC when the 911 Speedster was introduced in 1989 to a very quickly escalating collector car market, triggered by Enzo's death the year prior, it was immediately trading for around double MSRP.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:45 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I was only 19 at the time, but IIRC when the 911 Speedster was introduced in 1989 to a very quickly escalating collector car market, triggered by Enzo's death the year prior, it was immediately trading for around double MSRP.
Really interesting to hear this. I never would have guessed that. I guess most cycles are bound to repeat over and over again but feel like it's "new territory" when the next cycle happens far enough down the road.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:30 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Difference is long-term GT customers that wanted RS 4.0 generally were able to get one - myself, Trakcar, Mooty, all were able to secure allocations. This time around nada and it was because of VIP.

I have no problem with the VIP program itself but if you want to do something like that it's probably a good idea to produce enough cars that you don't screw your long-term GT customers in the process.
it was HARD for me to get my 4.0 since i live in the independent nation of KALIFORNIA. a very fine Rennlister passed me his open allocation for free at MSRP from Schneider Nelson Porsche delivered it through Fletcher Jones Porsche for me. (Schneider Nelson now owned by penske. and i have very low view of Penske now. they still have my deposit and apparently lost track of it and cannot refund it. it's only $500, but it's a principal thing. if i am Roger Penske, i cut the damn check yesterday and leave no tarnish on my name)

i digress.

many ppl buy many p cars. unlike the uber 1% i dont buy (well, prolly b/c i cannot afford it) 4-5 new p car a year. though i do buy 1-3 GTx cars a year. since 2002 and my father did that since 1978. i was naive as i dont always hold the car under my name so maybe PCNA doesn't know it was i who was paying. i was also naive to be foolishly loyal to one dealership, carlsen. they repeated fk'd thus i fianlly gave up on them. now, be mercenary and i will cross shop everyone.

R is a great car. i didn't get one. i did try. but i didn't succeed. i know 4 ppl who got the car without 918. i am sure they all deserved it and i am happy for them. there is not much to complain about, my RS isn't too bad either. i will wait and at some point maybe, just maybe PCNA will reward me a car of importance it's almost 2017, so why not dream a little haha.

unotaz, many good points you made. i drive most of my cars, especially b4 kid #2. i used to drive kid #1 everywhere in RS, or lotus, or cayman. i illegally put her up front seat. dealer commented on my 7.1RS (do you ever shut the car down?) i didnt know what he meant. he said we have never seen car with this many mile so short time. 6 moths, 17000 miles. i drove to and from track, if it's thee day event , i would drive up, track, back home, tuck in my kid, then drive up again the next morning. now with 2 kids, harder to shove the little one into trunk, i did try. but neighbor reported me to child service. i had a lot to explain that day. some cars i kept like the 4.0 and 991RS others i tracked or drove a lot and sold then replace with a lower mile car. such as 996gt3 of which i owned 14 of them, i just bought another very low mile 996. some cars i bought and found i didn't like it as much, a boxster S which i bough and sold in 12 hours. that's not a flip more like a 10k loss over night. i did buy and sell many 7.1 7.2RS after i added many miles to them.

who knows, maybe one of the well known 911R, like you, suitcase, footsoldier, cj, and our canadian 918 expert (suddenly i forgot his handle, nick is the name) can whisper my name to PCNA and i end up with a more worthy car than RS, hint hint......

suitcase, great history on your cars.

anyways, i need to go find something to do to burn energy. HAPPY NEW YEAR to all. less arguing, more driving!!!!
Old 12-31-2016, 05:52 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,983 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Plenty. But most are smart enough to know Porsche priced it correctly from the start.
Porsche priced it right on MSRP if it didn't have that number on it. They would have easily been able to sell 1,500 or so in the US just like they did with the RS.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:15 AM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 225 Likes on 146 Posts

There is a 991R for sale at $599k CAD at Pfaff Porsche in Toronto if anyone interested.

Contact Jimmy or Lee there. It's white with red stripes I believe.

Just putting it out there since there seems to be some interest and with exchange rate it's more attractive for our American friends.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:39 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by STALKER99
There is a 991R for sale at $599k CAD at Pfaff Porsche in Toronto if anyone interested.

Contact Jimmy or Lee there. It's white with red stripes I believe.

Just putting it out there since there seems to be some interest and with exchange rate it's more attractive for our American friends.
Only interested in weird specs but that is a very good offer
Old 01-01-2017, 05:17 PM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Only interested in weird specs but that is a very good offer
How about Acid Green with Birch Green stripes?
Old 01-01-2017, 08:19 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
How about Acid Green with Birch Green stripes?
I drink tea but not absinthe

Quick Reply: OT: LT Spider #908, and 911R thread