Sponsored by:

OT: LT Spider #908, and 911R thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 11:36 AM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
I've never been, nor ever will be in the position of you guys above, but after getting to know some of you with your buying history of Pcars, I think it was completely wrong for Porsche to ignore their good, long time customers.
+1. I wish all the loyal customers had the ability to buy any Porsche they wanted.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:42 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 974 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Coincident
How would you compare the Boxster S with the Spyder and the Spyder to the 911R?
Boxster S and Boxster Spyder can't be compared in the same sentence. To me, the Boxster Spyder is one of the best valued Porsche in the last 10 years. Like the R, it's not designed to go very fast around a race track (but it performs very well, only 5 secs slower than the GT4 at the Ring while on the standard PZero tires).

The R is more special than the Boxster Spyder, but it also costs twice as much.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:18 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

CJ - your 675 looks great. It's always nice to see a spec that's been thought through and is unique.

I didn't realise the thread had turned into another R allocating debate!

For what it's worth, I think that suitcase and myself both benefited from a sweeping up exercise by Porsche who found some later allocations for people who has missed out but had a good history. Not exactly sure where they came from - I was told China, but others have heard differently. (Suitcase and I live thousands of miles apart but our production numbers are consecutive, which suggests some kind of link in the late allocations!)

No doubt many equally worthy recipients still missed out, and I don't know if Porsche realised the extent of problems that were going to be created. (I do think a lot of it, for some people, is because of the supposed 'profit' locked in to the car. I don't think everyone who wants one would want it if it depreciated).

My guess is also that the 918 program (US only) is from another era, and will end up being over generous in time. If US owners keep their cars 3 years, they get 10 years worth of priority. It's causing problems now - thinks about 7 years from now when a guy who bought one Porsche in 2014 and sold it in 2017 for a profit, is getting priority on 2023's limited model!

Step back from that though and look at the potential upside for Porsche. Launching a near $1m car in enough numbers to pretty much satisfy demand, is a great way of self-identifying all the people on the planet who are willing to give you 7 figures for your product. They now have direct contact and a two way relationship with their highest value targets. "The whales".

Doesn't make it right that others have missed out just because they have spread their loyalty over a number of years, but you can see why it's attractive to Porsche finance department.

In other countries, where 918 program doesn't apply, the same thing happens, just more subjectively - who are the current. "best customers, with "current" being an important word I think. A long history of buying is great, but I'm sure the dealers are most interested in who is buying last year, now and next year.

The metrics no doubt show that on average there is a significant difference in the purchasing power of those allocated 911R, either just in Porsche terms or across the brands when it comes to multi-brand dealers' choice of allocation. I've also been told that the average 918 owner spends a lot more on options, which means that every car sold to them is worth more profit. Again, this doesn't mean there are no mistakes in here, or that spending power = enthusiast, but it makes business sense to keep them happy.

I'm sure Porsche has all the data it needs to work out what's best, and is fine-tuning the next campaign as we speak. It does seem that they have lost some very good customers (I was almost one of them), but none of us on this board consider how many new Macans or Panameras they have sold to people who have no interest or expectation in an R, but like to be associated with the brand behind the car of the moment.

So,on another level, maybe this is just an extension of the thinking behind their original SUV program, and a few 911GT customer casualties along the way don't make a difference anyway. Harsh, but possible, and it's naive to think it's not profit that is ultimately the main motive in everything they do, even if many individuals within the company are motivated by the cars and the history as much as we are.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:36 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,241 Likes on 610 Posts

I will cosign with the other posters in agreeing that the boxster spyder is more enjoyable to drive than the GT4
Old 12-29-2016, 12:37 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

but in the mean time here is my dedicated McLaren Scottsdale advertisement. Cerulean Blue, an MSO color, on a 570GT
Old 12-29-2016, 03:21 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Boxster S and Boxster Spyder can't be compared in the same sentence. To me, the Boxster Spyder is one of the best valued Porsche in the last 10 years. Like the R, it's not designed to go very fast around a race track (but it performs very well, only 5 secs slower than the GT4 at the Ring while on the standard PZero tires).

I owned a 2016 Boxster S and found it to be moderately enjoyable on a sunny, summers day with the top down but an extremely boring car to drive. Not fast enough, not exciting enough nor challenging in anyway. My wife even got bored with it.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:03 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,875 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Corvette C7 Grand Sport
C7 GS is seriously attractive package. Can't imagine what it's going to be like when it goes mid-engine and can really put down the power.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Nizer shouldn't have mentioned me in the same sentence as himself or Mooty..

All the others Porsches, including the 4.0 I bought used.
The 4.0 was at MSRP as that was the going price back then for low mileage cars, a few even sold used under MSRP.
I was grandfathering you in and IIRC your 4.0 was a modded, track-beater hence the low price.

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I cant believe the 4.0 went for msrp or below.. all I remember reading at the time was that it had been presold to long time Porsche customers before even being publicly introduced, none for sale left etc etc
All depends on what part of the country you live and your relationship with dealers. My current RS was MSRP; all my prior GT3/RS came with a modest discount.

More like 5x at current prices.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:56 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 83 Posts

Where were they when people like me who shelled out 200k on deposit when the potential for the 918 to depreciate like a CGT
When did the CGT depreciate? Don't remember they ever being near MSRP, but maybe in some areas.

I guess Porsche should have created a VIP, VVIP, and VVVIP programs, to make everybody happy. A lot more multi-millionaires and billionaires than before.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:49 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by elp_jc
When did the CGT depreciate? Don't remember they ever being near MSRP, but maybe in some areas.

I guess Porsche should have created a VIP, VVIP, and VVVIP programs, to make everybody happy. A lot more multi-millionaires and billionaires than before.
I bought my 2005, serial number 0967 CGT for 335k while still under warranty with 3,050 miles on it in 2009. Car MSRP was 440k plus tax, luggage etc.

What he means is that for 2-3 years the CGT was totally under appreciated AND the world economy took a dump and some guys lost 100k or more pretty quick, representing 25% of their equity.

I imagine when we all collectively found out the car was a go, we were happy. BUT, once they announced they would build 900...and it would cost 900k...I was gun shy. Didn't want to lose 200k on a car.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:37 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
What he means is that for 2-3 years the CGT was totally under appreciated AND the world economy took a dump and some guys lost 100k or more pretty quick, representing 25% of their equity.

I imagine when we all collectively found out the car was a go, we were happy. BUT, once they announced they would build 900...and it would cost 900k...I was gun shy. Didn't want to lose 200k on a car.
Exactly. I was on the list for the P1 as well at the time, but ultimately, my wife put her foot down and said "choose 1 but not both." I am a Mclaren fan (even flew to England to drive the P1 at Dunsfold), but I am a bigger Porsche fan, so I chose the 918 with the real potential that it might lose 25% of its value right off the bat. In the end, it worked out for me. I sold my P1 allocation to another guy and made a small profit, and the 918 held its value quite well.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:42 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,875 Likes on 970 Posts

Exactly. I was on the list for the P1 as well at the time, but ultimately, my wife put her foot down and said "choose 1 but not both."
Got this far in the post and thought your wife meant her or the P1....
Old 12-30-2016, 09:53 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Old 12-30-2016, 09:53 PM
stuntman
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Will the value of the 911R still be ridiculously high after the next GT3 is offered as a manual? I don't get the popularity of the car other than the fact that currently all GT3s are PDK.

CJ - GT4 or GT350R?
Old 12-31-2016, 01:40 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nizer
If that was the case, P1 then (don't tell my wife )
Old 12-31-2016, 03:56 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by bronson7
depends on what kind of chassis she has I guess?

Quick Reply: OT: LT Spider #908, and 911R thread