Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3/RS tires - Pirelli P-Zero?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 03:55 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 364 Posts

While I tend to agree with you, your response sounds more like Porsche marketing than an open discussion. By your logic, I should have stuck with MSCP's on my 997.2 GT3 since the MSCP2's weren't designed for it. :P

I've run many tires on GT cars, ranging from street (MPSS, Hankook RS3's, RE11's) to R comps (MSCP, MSCP2, Trofeo R's, NT01's) and they were all perfectly complimentary to the chassis when setup properly for their grip, wear characteristics. If tomorrow, Bridgestone made the RE71's for the RS, I'd immediately switch.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:17 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

^^^ agree with chris

the no/n1/n2 nonsense is just that, marketing nonsense

i have had zero problems with non-n rated tires on any of my porsches... ZERO PROBLEMS

but everyone shd go ahead and do what they need to do to sleep well at night... restful sleep more important than lighter wallet
Old 12-20-2016, 07:41 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
While I tend to agree with you, your response sounds more like Porsche marketing than an open discussion. By your logic, I should have stuck with MSCP's on my 997.2 GT3 since the MSCP2's weren't designed for it. :P

I've run many tires on GT cars, ranging from street (MPSS, Hankook RS3's, RE11's) to R comps (MSCP, MSCP2, Trofeo R's, NT01's) and they were all perfectly complimentary to the chassis when setup properly for their grip, wear characteristics. If tomorrow, Bridgestone made the RE71's for the RS, I'd immediately switch.
Forgot to include that caveat - tires that supersede the OE tire; I am eagerly awaiting the next MPSC evolution, and will upgrade when they are available.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:13 AM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
^^^ agree with chris

the no/n1/n2 nonsense is just that, marketing nonsense

i have had zero problems with non-n rated tires on any of my porsches... ZERO PROBLEMS

but everyone shd go ahead and do what they need to do to sleep well at night... restful sleep more important than lighter wallet
Well said!!!
Old 12-22-2016, 03:29 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
The N1 MPSC2 is the OE tire; there is no reason whatsoever to run any tire other than the OE selection featuring a compound that was developed specifically for the chassis through a collaboration between Michelin and Porsche Motorsport division.
I can think of two reasons - cold and rain.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:34 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PhilT3 (PT3)
Hello - who's tried the Pirelli P-Zero's on their GT3/RS? I'm wondering how they would work for STREET USE. Not bad at about $1,300 for a full set. I'll stick with Cup2's for track use.

From Tire Rack:

PIRELLI
P ZERO
Front: 265/35R20
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Load Range: XL
Serv. Desc: 99Y
QtyPrice EachItem(s) Total For 2016 Porsche 911 GT3 RS

$245.20
Special
$490.40 Free Road Hazard Protection ($38.24 value. Exclusions apply.)
Pirelli P Zero
Availability: Back Order

PIRELLI
P ZERO
Rear: 325/30R21
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Load Range: XL
Serv. Desc: 108Y
QtyPrice EachItem(s) Total For 2016 Porsche 911 GT3 RS

$387.70
$775.40
P Zeros are normally vastly inferior to MPSS. But the new 4th gen P Zeros (OEM on some '17 models) match or beat MPSS according to most reviews. No idea how to check which gen P Zeros are these, but I'd be willing to give the new gen a try.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:47 AM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Agreed. The way I see it is I'll never be able to take full advantage of the Cup2s abilities on the street. So if I can find a quality tire that performs within the limits of spirited street driving than I'm all for giving them a try.

However, when it comes to track I'm 100% Cup2's for the exact reason that Porsche and Michelin designed the Cup2's to wring maximum performance out of the GT3/RS. Though there will be a time when I will experiment with Hoosiers...and such.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:48 AM
Jangobipbip
Instructor

Received 155 Likes on 34 Posts

In my opinion, MPSC 2 is a fantastic tyre. Compared to the old MPSC, it really sticks not too bad under the rain, and it lasts twice better.
I ran 8 trackdays this year principally on Spa and Nordschleife (these are very runny and fast track which do not attack tyres like a small "turnny" track) and it only will be time to change it.
I do not see a best road legal tyre than MPSC2 especially with GT3 RS sizes, today on the market.

One thing i realized too is that the MPSC 2 on my ex 991 GT3 got used a way faster than on the GT3 RS. I believe it is due to the sizes which are bigger and the grip difference between the two cars. The less the RS slides, the less the tyre get used.

We can conclude saying the RS saves the types better. We could call the RS the economic choice in fact lol
Old 12-22-2016, 01:02 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by smookey
In my opinion, MPSC 2 is a fantastic tyre. Compared to the old MPSC, it really sticks not too bad under the rain, and it lasts twice better.
I ran 8 trackdays this year principally on Spa and Nordschleife (these are very runny and fast track which do not attack tyres like a small "turnny" track) and it only will be time to change it.
I do not see a best road legal tyre than MPSC2 especially with GT3 RS sizes, today on the market.

One thing i realized too is that the MPSC 2 on my ex 991 GT3 got used a way faster than on the GT3 RS. I believe it is due to the sizes which are bigger and the grip difference between the two cars. The less the RS slides, the less the tyre get used.

We can conclude saying the RS saves the types better. We could call the RS the economic choice in fact lol
i thought i had heard all the possible rationalizations to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on sports cars, but this one is BRILLIANT

seriously though, the added contact patch on the rs does give it substantially more grip than the non-rs gt3... i agree that this actually helps save the tires some as most drivers will slide less on track trying to extract the best possible laps

that being said, i would need to hear and read A LOT of positive reviews and experiences before I give P-Zeros another shot... they are batting 0 for 3 in my book over the last 10 years... maybe the new one is a new dog with new tricks but the old ones are/were an embarrassment as a 'premium sport tire'
Old 12-22-2016, 04:54 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
MPSC2 is really a very kind tire in cold and rainy conditions, especially when compared to the original MPSC.

I recently had mine out on a spirited backroad drive in below freezing weather with no issues; plan to do it again next week, regardless of weather.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:00 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Guest89
MPSC2 is really a very kind tire in cold and rainy conditions, especially when compared to the original MPSC.

I recently had mine out on a spirited backroad drive in below freezing weather with no issues; plan to do it again next week, regardless of weather.
I daily drove my GT3 for 2 years, rain or shine. On colder wetter mornings (by Nor Cal standards) GT3 would break traction at lower speeds than my Cayenne on all-seasons. It was not undrivable or dangerous, at least in my hands, but the traction penalty from tires was big enough to make driving the car less fun. MPSCs have a very broad range.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:09 AM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

I guess I have a different perspective. I go to track for fast fun, yes but I also go to understand how the car handles at the limit and how that limit feels to my butt and hands. If some one or thing makes a stupid move on the road near me I want to know how far I can push the car to avoid it or whether I am just along for the ride and need to speed dial my insurance company. In central Florida this can be a daily adventure. That is why I like a dual purpose car and resist buying a dedicated track car. Changing tires defeats that purpose for me. YMMV.

Carmen
Old 12-23-2016, 04:31 PM
Howaboutthat
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

Riiiiight....
Well, maybe .... I have a set of Super Sports on a rebuilt and modified 996 -- the rears (no tracking) are at 23,000+, and still have some life in them. P-Zeroes wore out at 11,500.

Quick Reply: GT3/RS tires - Pirelli P-Zero?