Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protecting your investment with Clear Bra - make an educated decision before you buy

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 03:54 PM
TimAD
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 996C2S
Wow, incredible write up. I need to be on this site more often!
Thanks for taking the time to view!
Old 10-21-2017, 05:47 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Bartron
So how crazy would it be to run NO PPF? is there anyone doing that? what were people doing with cars in the 90's? Did the 993tt's selling for crazy prices all have PPF?
No, you would not be crazy. I think clear bra is for those that are **** about their car (I am not). To me its like wrapping lawn chairs in plastic.

I have owned many exotic cars and tried clear bra and going naked. It did not make a difference particularly on resale.

That said, those that fuss over dirt spots and possible chips should get the bra installed. Keep in mind that bra's also chip.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:00 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
No, you would not be crazy. I think clear bra is for those that are **** about their car (I am not). To me its like wrapping lawn chairs in plastic.

I have owned many exotic cars and tried clear bra and going naked. It did not make a difference particularly on resale.

That said, those that fuss over dirt spots and possible chips should get the bra installed. Keep in mind that bra's also chip.
+1
Old 10-23-2017, 05:22 PM
TimAD
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Nick

Yes correct, it is not a ONE SIZE FITS ALL solution. Although very minimal, there can be limitations and drawbacks for having PPF applied to your car. For someone looking to drive their car without caring what type of wear and tear will happen, then it wouldn't be worth the $$ to them. For a large portion of the public PPF has been a great investment based on the feedback we've received.

Expectations also play a large part into the satisfaction of any PPF installation. I've heard of many owners getting upset at the fact their film shows signs of wear and tear over time such as chipping or knicks in the film. This can largely be avoided with proper education at the start setting real world expectations of the products and their limitations.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:18 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Any issues with gloss wrap over matte paint?
Or stick with matte wrap over matte paint---or does that make it look too dull rather than a satin sheen?
Old 10-26-2017, 03:07 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Hello Tim,

Thank you for the informative post, I see lots of recommendations for good shops in CA but can you recommend any shops in the Philadelphia area?
Old 10-26-2017, 07:54 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TimAD
We are located in north San Diego county. It is a little drive from West LA but we have clients come down from LA often for our work. We can arrange pick up or drop off as well if its more convenient. Let me know if you'd like some more info!
Hey Tim. Thanks for the info. We chatted on the phone previously. I'm still on the fence about my GT4. But curious about arranging the pickup and drop-off....do you use a flatbed or covered truck. Extra cost to that service?

Amir
Old 10-27-2017, 01:42 AM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 93 Posts

What about ceramic coating. Is a multi layer application as efficient as the film? Looking for some protection for track use.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:34 PM
TimAD
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
Any issues with gloss wrap over matte paint?
Or stick with matte wrap over matte paint---or does that make it look too dull rather than a satin sheen?
I'd stick with matte film over a matte finish. Technically a gloss film will work, but will make the finish glossy vs. the original matte finish.

Originally Posted by tgibrit
Hello Tim,

Thank you for the informative post, I see lots of recommendations for good shops in CA but can you recommend any shops in the Philadelphia area?
Thanks for reading through!

I know Oakes detailing is in the area, I've known the owner Nick Oakes for some time.

Also start here:

http://www.xpel.com/clearbra_install...a/Philadelphia

and do a vetting process with the criteria described in the article. Find a shop you can trust and that will take the time to explain their installations to you.

Originally Posted by shaytun
Hey Tim. Thanks for the info. We chatted on the phone previously. I'm still on the fence about my GT4. But curious about arranging the pickup and drop-off....do you use a flatbed or covered truck. Extra cost to that service?

Amir
Hey Amir, was nice chatting with you last week.

We can totally arrange pick up and drop off as well, feel free to shoot me an email and we can discuss further.

Originally Posted by aalencar
What about ceramic coating. Is a multi layer application as efficient as the film? Looking for some protection for track use.
For protection against road debris, there is no way around paint protection film. Ceramic coatings, no matter how many layers installed will NOT protect against chipping. There just isn't the thickness nor the absorbency in coatings that PPF can provide. Another alternative to PPF is "TracWrap" which is a DIY temporary protective film, it doesn't look the best but does the job for track day protection.

http://www.xpel.com/xpel-tracwrap-temporary-ppf/
Old 11-01-2017, 04:14 PM
ms550
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ed at Detailing Dynamics did a full body Expel and added this cool detail. Looks great with red stripe rims.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:15 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by ms550
Ed at Detailing Dynamics did a full body Expel and added this cool detail. Looks great with red stripe rims.
I️. Can think of a few other edges on the car which would look cool with this red detailing, including the leading edge of plastic on front bumper, and trailing edge of rear diffuser. Nice touch!
Old 11-01-2017, 07:24 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

why cant i just get a leather bra like in the old days. lol
Old 11-01-2017, 07:33 PM
CYKBC
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

it's the commoditization of the clear bra. it's a wear item. it's not paint. so long as it's there and doesn't look like crap, i'll go for the cheapest 3m option possible. that's just me.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:42 PM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

When you say there is a 10 year life expectancy on the newer films, does that mean all films should be replaced after 10 years?

On my race car, it came with a nice wrap on the front of the car; I'm assuming that because of the wrapped seams looking like your good examples. I don't know exactly how long it had been on, but I had some minor body damage, and removed it to get it ready for paint work. It was a bear to remove! The leading portion was thinner and pitted from track debris, so I expected that to be difficult. The hood portion was not pitted, but still difficult. At first I thought it was from using 3m adhesive remover to get off rubber marks, but even the parts for the bra that didn't get debris or adhesive remover were tough. I thought I was doing it wrong until I removed the clear from a used bumper that had clear, and it was easy.

This may be an extreme case, but I have a Ferrari with a full clear bra of unknown age. The bra looks great, and I seal it twice a year, but I'm afraid of leaving it on too long for risk of paint damage if it's anything like removing the clear from the race car. Same concern goes for the xpel headlight kits I've put on my cars....

What do you suggest for the people that keep cars long term?

Thanks,
David
Old 11-04-2017, 04:52 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

how long should one wait to wrap the car. So new car, 30 days? or more

Quick Reply: Protecting your investment with Clear Bra - make an educated decision before you buy