Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 GT3 Engine Fault code

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016 | 02:02 AM
GT63TT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Princealidds
You are correct. I bought it from Porsche dealer in NY with 7000 miles. So I cannot lemon the car in CA since I'm not original owner??
Yes, I believe this to be true. You must buy or lease the car from a dealership new to qualify for a buy back. If the car is a 2014 on the lot and hasn't been sold or registered you're in the green, but if its a 2016 with 1 mile and you're the second owner lemon law buy back program wont work. I know there is a large class action lawsuit against BMW for their S65 (E9X M3) rod bearing issues. Honestly most high revving engines have issues; the just the nature of the beast. With that said it would be nice to have a lifetime warranty for a piece of mind. When considering a 991 TTS I knew they would be bulletproof and they are, but GT3 is their race engine with different internal physics.
Old 12-15-2016 | 02:20 AM
Princealidds
Rennlist Member

I was reading online. Since I purchased the car from Porsche dealer in NY with less than 18k miles it would qualify for lemon law. I'll call my attorney buddy tomorrow to double check. I was just reading the work order performed by dealer. It doesn't say they replaced parts. Rather it says they " removed & reinstalled ". Please tell me I'm reading it wrong. I hope They did place new spark plugs. Not simply removed them, and put them back. ???? I'll ask the SA tomorrow.......
Old 12-15-2016 | 02:40 AM
GT63TT
Instructor

I was reading online. Since I purchased the car from Porsche dealer in NY with less than 18k miles it would qualify for lemon law. I'll call my attorney buddy tomorrow to double check. I was just reading the work order performed by dealer. It doesn't say they replaced parts. Rather it says they " removed & reinstalled ". Please tell me I'm reading it wrong. I hope They did place new spark plugs. Not simply removed them, and put them back. ???? I'll ask the SA tomorrow.......
I guess you'd have to check the lemon law in NY as you've suggested. I believe you should not panic too much about the intricate details of the service. Porsche is taking full liability at this point so the worst that could happen is they don't fix it correctly the first time ultimately have to replace more if not the entirety of the engine.. I know it maybe hard to hear that you should don't care about it or lose sleep over it but it's the truth. Unless you've done something to void your warranty (refer to magnuson moss warranty act) its safe to assume it's still intact and they will eventually get things right. So stay calm and use the rental car whilst you've got it 🤘🏽
Old 12-15-2016 | 03:02 AM
Princealidds
Rennlist Member

I've only done Sharkwerks bypass....... I can't imagine it affects warranty??
Thank you!
Old 12-15-2016 | 08:28 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GT63TT
I am not sure I totally understand your question, but, I too had a faulty plug replaced. The service manager stated in person, off the record, that the plug had delaminated. I will never know if scraps or particulates entered the engine. I wonder if this is the case with OP.
What I'm saying is, the service manual recommends you do the spark plug change after xx years or xx miles, which ever comes first. If you choose to ignore this and get a code popping up after this time could it do the same damage as a faulty plug code?
Old 12-17-2016 | 05:53 PM
GT63TT
Instructor

Originally Posted by bronson7

What I'm saying is, the service manual recommends you do the spark plug change after xx years or xx miles, which ever comes first. If you choose to ignore this and get a code popping up after this time could it do the same damage as a faulty plug code?
What's the service intervals on plugs, 15,000 miles?
Old 12-17-2016 | 05:55 PM
GT63TT
Instructor

Was doing canyon runs today. Towards end of the run, was heading to 8000 rpm when all the sudden engine went into limp mode. Got 2 messages pop up. Turned car off. Let it seat. But still. I read up some guys here said the Vacuum valve seal was the problem. Or misfire? I'll take it to BH Porsche dealer this week. Hoping it's nothing Major.
Sorry pix are sideways!!!
In the photo you've posted it indicates speed limit above fault code. Off topic, but; what is that?
Old 12-18-2016 | 12:49 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

In Canada, which I'm sure it's the same as USA, it recommends every 18K miles, but no later than every 2 years. Apparently there has been an update for some of the service maintenance schedules, including the spark plugs to be changed annually. Now I've not received any notification, but others have posted this. I would ask your dealer for any maintenance updates.
Old 12-18-2016 | 10:50 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

I check with two south Florida P dealers this past week , as I thought it had been changed to an annual interval for plugs :

Porsche's service print-out for: " additional maintenance - Replace spark Plugs (labor operation 03 81 00 ) every 12,000 miles/ 20,000 km or 2 years"

oil change is now every 6,000 miles / 10,000 km or every year
for GT3's built from week 45/2014
Old 12-18-2016 | 11:56 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
I check with two south Florida P dealers this past week , as I thought it had been changed to an annual interval for plugs :

Porsche's service print-out for: " additional maintenance - Replace spark Plugs (labor operation 03 81 00 ) every 12,000 miles/ 20,000 km or 2 years"

oil change is now every 6,000 miles / 10,000 km or every year
for GT3's built from week 45/2014
It's amazing that in Canada vs USA there is different recommendations on service intervals. I don't get it.
Old 12-18-2016 | 02:38 PM
Princealidds
Rennlist Member

In the photo you've posted it indicates speed limit above fault code. Off topic, but; what is that?
It knows the posted speed limit..... so it displays it.
Old 12-21-2016 | 05:58 PM
Princealidds
Rennlist Member

Ok gentleman. Here's update from SA
"the misfire in your GT3 is caused by the camshaft lining wearing off and causing premature wear on the camshaft and the rocker.
When a heavy repair like this is required we have to have Porsche involved. We have sent them all the information and we are waiting back to hear from them. "

What do you guys think......
Old 12-21-2016 | 06:27 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Ok gentleman. Here's update from SA
"the misfire in your GT3 is caused by the camshaft lining wearing off and causing premature wear on the camshaft and the rocker.
When a heavy repair like this is required we have to have Porsche involved. We have sent them all the information and we are waiting back to hear from them. "

What do you guys think......
You're getting a top end rebuild.
Old 12-21-2016 | 06:31 PM
Princealidds
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
You're getting a top end rebuild.

Is that not as ideal as getting new engine? Will the top end rebuild increase warranty?
Old 12-21-2016 | 06:38 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Is that not as ideal as getting new engine? Will the top end rebuild increase warranty?
As far as I've been reading no extra warranty,but I might be wrong on that depending on your market.

Getting a new engine is always going to be better. I've said this in the past,all the metal from the damaged area travels inside your engine and could cause blockage of tiny oil passages,score cylinder walls etc. For some reason Porsche thinks it's " ok " to just do a rebuild...

Quick Reply: 2015 GT3 Engine Fault code