Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 RSR details announced in LA

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 09:33 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

The mid body engine location is also usually conducent to better tire wear. That will allow these cars to double/triple stint their tires thus reducing overall pit stop times.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:04 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,987 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
That's a tasty post right there CJ. Can you elaborate on:

"I spoke at length with FSW and he explained why RSR engines are so good"?

Let's look at it from a Chevy V8 perspective. The more cylinders you have, the more surface area you have, therefore making each stroke slightly less efficient. you have more cylinders to cool, more surface area to cool, and lubricate, which means you need more plumbing, and more sensors, etc. The Vette engines are really hard to keep cool, which is why they have to go to such extreme measures to evacuate hot air from the engine bay, blow cold air across the exhausts, etc.

The reason why an 8 liter engine (like the viper) does not make 1000hp (without grenading, at least) is because with all that mass and surface area, it's not really durable at 8500rpm the way a porsche engine is.

The cooler you can keep the surface area of the pistons, cylinder sleeves, etc the more consistent you will make power- just because you have forced induction does not mean you are immune to this principle, in fact it is quite the opposite as a turbo engine requires even more cooling, even more plumbing, even more complexity...etc.

So, my understanding is that, Porsche is just fine running the smallest engine.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:12 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,815 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Let's look at it from a Chevy V8 perspective. The more cylinders you have, the more surface area you have, therefore making each stroke slightly less efficient. you have more cylinders to cool, more surface area to cool, and lubricate, which means you need more plumbing, and more sensors, etc. The Vette engines are really hard to keep cool, which is why they have to go to such extreme measures to evacuate hot air from the engine bay, blow cold air across the exhausts, etc.

The reason why an 8 liter engine (like the viper) does not make 1000hp (without grenading, at least) is because with all that mass and surface area, it's not really durable at 8500rpm the way a porsche engine is.

The cooler you can keep the surface area of the pistons, cylinder sleeves, etc the more consistent you will make power- just because you have forced induction does not mean you are immune to this principle, in fact it is quite the opposite as a turbo engine requires even more cooling, even more plumbing, even more complexity...etc.

Interesting info CJ. So does this mean GT cars might be staying NA for longer than we think?
Old 11-16-2016, 10:15 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

Thats great reading CJ... I have always held guarded optimism when it came to the GT division in the next few years.

I gotta ask... When did Porsche make the head lights yellow and why are they yellow?
Old 11-16-2016, 10:21 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Four Liter
I've been driving 911's since the 80's but the car should have gone mid engine when the 996 was introduced . I guess somebody uses the worthless back seats , but I'd prefer an engine there instead .
100% agree.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:51 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 518 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

I understand. Efficiency, packaging, simplicity etc. all good things in endurance racing. They clearly think they can be competitive. I hope they can return to form in GTE and GTLM. I enjoy the tech of LMP1 but I think we all enjoy watching cars that at least bear some lineage to the cars we drive. Thanks..
Old 11-16-2016, 11:51 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Really interesting car. New engine?
Old 11-17-2016, 12:25 AM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 146 Posts

Is it possible the 991.2 gt3 will have this engine rated at 510 hp?

Just referenced to this post from two months ago.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post13615827
Old 11-17-2016, 12:51 AM
trev0006
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 11-17-2016, 01:03 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,707 Posts

Originally Posted by MEM82
Is it possible the 991.2 gt3 will have this engine rated at 510hp?
I think it's possible. Seems like the next GT3 will make somewhere between the Cup and the RSR (485-510hp). That's only a spread of 5% and not likely to make a big difference either way. I'd like to know why the RSR makes 25hp more than the Cup. Is it something exotic like 6 Individual Throttle Bodies like past RSR's or just a matter of tuning, exhaust, intake restrictions, Rev Limits? Would be great if the power starts with a 5...
Old 11-17-2016, 01:07 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 518 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by trev0006
Thanks for this...
Old 11-17-2016, 01:30 AM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I think it's possible. Seems like the next GT3 will make somewhere between the Cup and the RSR (485-510hp). That's only a spread of 5% and not likely to make a big difference either way. I'd like to know why the RSR makes 25hp more than the Cup. Is it something exotic like 6 Individual Throttle Bodies like past RSR's or just a matter of tuning, exhaust, intake restrictions, Rev Limits? Would be great if the power starts with a 5...
But isn't the RSR engine running without variable valve timing? This won't happen in the production car.

I still think the 991.2 gt3 will be tuned more for torque than hp like the cup with a drop in max rpm. This is good for marketing to explain the 8500rpm limit without having to talk about durability.

No doubt it has a 911 profile (NASCAR requirement) but is that enough? I guess it doesn't really matter what they call it.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:46 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,707 Posts

I agree that the motor will more closely resemble the Cup, but doesn't mean the outputs of the two will be identical...
Old 11-17-2016, 02:51 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just thinking out loud here: I've been simmering over the words of FSW about this RSR not needing a waver or anything of that sort to run the RSR next year. I've been wondering and thinking that maybe they used a Cayman instead to homologate the car. After all, they Cayman shares much in common with a 911 from the rear bulkhead forward. Anyone with better insight could chime in...
Old 11-17-2016, 03:13 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by MEM82
Is it possible the 991.2 gt3 will have this engine rated at 510 hp?

Just referenced to this post from two months ago.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post13615827
Originally Posted by GrantG
Originally Posted by Loess
But isn't the RSR engine running without variable valve timing? This won't happen in the production car.

I still think the 991.2 gt3 will be tuned more for torque than hp like the cup with a drop in max rpm. This is good for marketing to explain the 8500rpm limit without having to talk about durability.

No doubt it has a 911 profile (NASCAR requirement) but is that enough? I guess it doesn't really matter what they call it.
It's 510 horsepower WITH the restrictor, no?

All of the GTE/GTLM engines can/would make vastly more than 500 bhp without the sonic restrictors that are used to, ostensibly, "equalize" performance through BOP.

The outgoing 2016 RSR redlined a LOT higher than the street cars, and I'm sure this one does too.

Quick Reply: 991.2 RSR details announced in LA