Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone moved from GT3 / GT3RS to a real race car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 02:45 AM
pelo911
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default anyone moved from GT3 / GT3RS to a real race car?

i used to have 991 GT3 (i loved it so much)
replaced it with 675LT

today after the first time with the 675LT on the track
i'm thinking to myself , how is it to drive a real race car
i'm feeling that i can't really enjoy those track focus cars on public roads anymore
the GT3 it's a better car (for me) for public road , not sure why
the 675LT it's unbelievable on track , i enjoy it today very much
the amount of grip , the handling and the steering feedback , so much power shredding the tires (Trofeo R amazing!) out of the corners

anyone here felt the same and moved to real race car?

trying to get an idea
Pros / Cons

thanks
Old 11-05-2016, 11:01 AM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 687 Likes on 324 Posts

Get a Radical. After experiencing a car that's 1,300 pounds, has aero and slick tires - you'll never think about tracking another street car again. At least, that's what happened to me. My GT4 felt like a truck in back to back sessions at Calabogie this summer. The same was experienced by other (3+) members of my series who started out doing track days in 991 GT3's. All of them sold their Porsche after getting a Radical.

It's also ultimately cheaper to run if you consider that an off track excursion/collision, even a small one, will cost you a fortune to repair in a 675. Not to mention that a light car is easier on tires, brakes and the engine is cheap to repair and rebuild (stock motorcycle engine).

Here's an in car from a track day I did a few months ago at Mosport:

Old 11-05-2016, 12:36 PM
pelo911
Racer

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
Get a Radical. After experiencing a car that's 1,300 pounds, has aero and slick tires - you'll never think about tracking another street car again. At least, that's what happened to me. My GT4 felt like a truck in back to back sessions at Calabogie this summer. The same was experienced by other (3+) members of my series who started out doing track days in 991 GT3's. All of them sold their Porsche after getting a Radical.

It's also ultimately cheaper to run if you consider that an off track excursion/collision, even a small one, will cost you a fortune to repair in a 675. Not to mention that a light car is easier on tires, brakes and the engine is cheap to repair and rebuild (stock motorcycle engine).

Here's an in car from a track day I did a few months ago at Mosport:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I90nIf0NCs4
beautiful track you have in Canada !

thanks for you reply , you are right
make more sense to get real race car.

i think this model of Radical won track car of the year at EVO magazine
Old 11-05-2016, 12:46 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

GT4 Porsche race car seems like a good buy and entry into a race car. One is listed in classified section.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:54 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts

Have been thinking about this subject off and on the last 2 years. Race car with proper cage, seats, etc. is safer (need to practice fast exit though as it will take longer to get out in case of fire.) Depending on the car also lower running cost. But then have to get a trailer, tow vehicle etc. or have a shop/ team to do arrive and drive. So far I keep coming back to the convenience of driving to/from the track and can still learn a lot in a street car. At some point the slope becomes too slippery though
Old 11-05-2016, 01:41 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pros and Cons

If you are thinking about a cup car they are a lot more fun on the track.
Performance of a Cup car is not comparable to a GT3. A GT3 max tempo is cool down tempo in a Cup car
The feel is a big part of the experience as well.

Pretty much eveything else is in favor of a street car.
It's cheaper. A cup car is high maintenance and the tyres... if you want to be on top... that costs a fortune.
It's more work. Less convenient. I trail my street cars but don't HAVE to. Then swapping slicks after each weekend can get old if you have a job to attend as well from time to time.
Less driving opportunities. Some events don't accept pure race cars.
In DE you will feel alone most likely as nothing keeps up with you which is not fun (unless you are into winning the DE )
It's difficult to do everything on your own, you need at least a freind or better a small team.

You need to really want to race to get a cup car.
I have no experience of other cheaper race car but I sold my soul to the Germanz a while back PORSCHE

I still miss my cup car, the best toy I have ever owned, hell every man should have one once in his life, but going back to a track car went well. After a few DEs you adapt back to the lower corner speed and I enjoy the street cars as much or more than before.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:56 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

One of the best parts of driving a pure race car is just how direct the feedback is compared with a street car. I dislike the body roll and overall squishiness of street cars - even track focused ones. I'd even go so far to say that not only is a pure race car more fun, but it's also easier to drive (and safer). You literally feel everything the car does through the seat and steering wheel.

I recommend finding a way to try one at a race school or whatever and form ones' own opinion. Suspect many will feel like they've had an epiphany and feel ruined for anything but a purpose built race car.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:57 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 101 Posts

Have a app built you a race car. I'd suggest a Cayman (987 or 981). You can do PDK or manual. I moved from a fast street car to a full race car for track and Club Racing. Haven't regretted it. Just as fast, safer, and frankly if you bang it up it's not a $200-$400k car. Street cars have way to many compromises you will find when you move to a race car. My suggestion is find a nice Cayman already built for $80-100k. Very little downside. Good ones pop-up in the RL classifieds or I know of two very good cars for sale, shoot me a PM. One is 987.2 the other a 997.2 GT3RS turned into a club race car.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:54 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Agree with all of the above. Scrappy also nailed it. Spot on. A dedicated race car for track work is head and shoulders above even a track oriented streetcar from its responsiveness, lightness, its rigidity and safety features.

There are good alternatives to Porsche also that are more economical and just as fast in many cases. I looked at Porsche cup cars which I love however what turned me off was the expensive maintenance for engine rebuilds and especially the maintenance costs for sequential transmissions. Parts are also very expensive not to mention repairs.

You should also consider Trans Am American iron and Trans/Grand Am Boss 302's Camaros and Z06s. Many very nice builds can be bought for less than $80,000. They are fast competitive safe and comparatively economical to maintain, run and repair.

Scrappy, excellent video. That was a hoot to watch.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:42 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Thanks Waxer. I think some people are intimidated by the idea of committing to a competition car due to the perceived level of skill and finances required. Obviously, it's not for everyone but some will definitely wonder why they didn't do it sooner. The same can be said about competition vs lapping, but that's a whole other subject!
Old 11-05-2016, 06:08 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Well we have a Cayman R and a 991.1 GT3 for the street and a Spec Miata and a ChumpCar BMW e36 for racing.

My wife tells me I have a problem.

Ryan
Old 11-05-2016, 06:21 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by pelo911
i used to have 991 GT3 (i loved it so much)
replaced it with 675LT

today after the first time with the 675LT on the track
i'm thinking to myself , how is it to drive a real race car
i'm feeling that i can't really enjoy those track focus cars on public roads anymore
the GT3 it's a better car (for me) for public road , not sure why
the 675LT it's unbelievable on track , i enjoy it today very much
the amount of grip , the handling and the steering feedback , so much power shredding the tires (Trofeo R amazing!) out of the corners

anyone here felt the same and moved to real race car?

trying to get an idea
Pros / Cons

thanks
Pelo- You need to give us more information on what you want- more speed and racing feel, or a more competitive environment? I made the switch some time ago and stopped tracking my street cars. For me it was all about competition and not so much about ramping up the speed on the track. In fact I moved to a class of cars where they are slower in lap times to my GT3 so in terms of 'feel' I would say it was not much different. However in terms of effort and challenge it became a huge change due to:

1. Cost. The cost of the car is low enough that I don't worry about going off track and causing damage. Of course I don't drive over the limit, but I am pretty much on the limit most of the time. However, the cost of maintaining and supporting a race car professionally is fairly high, figure $1000/hr of track time and you won't be far off in the lowest class (like me) to $10,000/hr of track time for a GT3 Cup car.

2. Competition. You are racing, not lapping. You are in a competitive environment where every lap counts, even in practice.

3. Commitment. Racing is a full immersion activity. It's a hobby for me but much, much different than lapping on DE days. You must be 100% focused to do well, much less have a chance to win.

Racing isn't for everyone, if you want to go faster a track day special like a Radical is awesome and you will get an adrenaline rush from the speed and feel of lapping it. You get the same adrenaline rush from wheel to wheel racing, your pocket book determines how fast!
Old 11-05-2016, 06:41 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 423 Likes on 251 Posts

Old 11-05-2016, 07:46 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Name:  IMG_2829.jpg
Views: 1543
Size:  257.2 KB

Race car above. 2012 Boss 302 Tran Am TA3 build. Build cost approx. $80K. All Ford Racing Components and seam welded chasis. Build beyond Boss S specs to comparable Boss R spec.

Fast street and track car to left.

Name:  image1.jpeg
Views: 1628
Size:  404.1 KB

Name:  image7-min.jpeg
Views: 1582
Size:  252.9 KB

Main reasons for a dedicated race car. SAFETY.

Motivator. Boss 302 with Oliver Forged Rods and Cobra Jet intake with appropriate tune for TA3. Dyno at 526 hp.

Name:  image3-min.jpeg
Views: 1551
Size:  252.3 KB
Old 11-05-2016, 08:38 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I had a PDK 3.8L 981 Cayman race car made and my only regret was not doing it sooner. Cup car is a step up obviously, but very good place to start.

No regrets at all - will probably add an aero car (maybe a F3) next year.

Quick Reply: anyone moved from GT3 / GT3RS to a real race car?