Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Dundon headers or GMG headers have cats. Will they void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 01:51 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts
Default Do Dundon headers or GMG headers have cats. Will they void warranty?

Thinking of headers. Do they come with cats from Dundon or GMG? Will they void warranty?
Old 10-07-2016, 02:24 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,403 Likes on 823 Posts

You can order them with cats but they can void your engine warranty if something fails in relation to the modification installed on your car.

World's Largest Retailer/Distributor of BBS Motorsport & Street Wheels from 2015-2023
Huge Inventory: BBS, Kline, Brembo, Soul, Recaro, KW, Akrapovic & 200+ brands. Installation available
** Retail & Wholesale ** Global Delivery ** We match/beat any authorized dealer's price **

SupremePower.com // SupremeForged.com // Follow SupremePower on IG

Last edited by SupremePower; 10-07-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:33 PM
FJSeattle
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nothing voids your warranty.

A dealer can deny a warranty claim due to an aftermarket part contributing to the failure of XYZ. But nothing voids your cars warranty outright.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:43 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,403 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by FJSeattle
Nothing voids your warranty.

A dealer can deny a warranty claim due to an aftermarket part contributing to the failure of XYZ. But nothing voids your cars warranty outright.
True I should have been more clear. Updated.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:15 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

In EU it will definitely void the watrranty of the engine. i have no clue why but checked that with two dealers. I requested this information with regards to akrapovic system which is often OEM part provider for many models.
This and sound level are only factors that holding me back from getting DMS system (even that I am quite skeptical about power gains ).
Old 10-07-2016, 04:06 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 369 Likes on 204 Posts

We offer no cats and catted version
Race is for race cars, doesn't void the warranty, Porsche doesn't mind exhausts, tuning is another question.

Race setup for GT3 is 40whp
Catted (Street) setup for GT3 is 31whp gains

Customers happy all over the world and many real world (drag race) and dyno confirmations of the power gains from Dundon Headers.

Put it this way, we offer a 30 day 100% money back guarantee and not a single one has come back for our 996/997.1/997.2 or 991 systems
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 10-07-2016, 10:14 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Thinking of headers. Do they come with cats from Dundon or GMG? Will they void warranty?
Great question and I think there are several answers but my first thought would be to get friendly with your local dealer and ask them how they feel about certain aftermarket upgrades?

We have local dealer to us here in So Cal that have no problem warranting any item on a car with our exhaust upgrades but again, your dealer might have a difference of opinion.

But I do know that we sell our products through many Porsche Dealerships through North America and they are installing them at their service facility before delivering them to their customer, so most dealer seem to be ok with it, but again, it helps to have a strong relationship with your local dealer.

Good luck....and your timing couldn't be more perfect as we are launching our new Motorsport header for the GT3 and RS next week!

PM if you would like some more info.....Cheers!

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 10-08-2016, 12:02 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

No tune no issue with my dealer. I spent about an hour behind Matt, Money2536, during the Smokies event. The sound of the Dundon headers is amazing.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:41 AM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A dealer may say "No problem!" but might be a different story once the territory service rep from Porsche makes a little visit to the dealership. Just a thought.
The following users liked this post:
PDKMEH (02-07-2020)
Old 10-08-2016, 10:21 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,741 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Yoskin
A dealer may say "No problem!" but might be a different story once the territory service rep from Porsche makes a little visit to the dealership. Just a thought.
Exactly.

Porsche NA (or AG) makes the ultimate decision on a warranty claim. If the dealer decides to fix a problem without first clearing it with the corporate offices, then it's on the dealer to either eat the costs or bill the owner for it.

Now, a dealer may massage what the actual problem is when submitting the claim to Porsche NA, but if the labor hours and materials don't jive with the warranty claim paperwork, then all bets are off.

Of course, all that said, at least in the US it is initially Porsche's burden to demonstrate that an aftermarket modification was the cause of the problem. Usually not that difficult, but it is their initial burden.
PDKMEH (02-07-2020)
Old 10-08-2016, 11:15 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

Keep in mind that these aftermarket headers WILL NOT stand up to the abuse the OEM ones will. Eventually something will fail, a CEL will come on and/or an O2 sensor will need replacing. When that doesn't work, the aftermarket company will refurbish the header for $1000 or so because it isn't warrantied. Ask me how I know.
The performance advantage is not worth this headache for me and neither is a possible warranty denial.
PDKMEH (02-07-2020)
Old 10-08-2016, 11:25 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Keep in mind that these aftermarket headers WILL NOT stand up to the abuse the OEM ones will. Eventually something will fail, a CEL will come on and/or an O2 sensor will need replacing. When that doesn't work, the aftermarket company will refurbish the header for $1000 or so because it isn't warrantied. Ask me how I know. The performance advantage is not worth this headache for me and neither is a possible warranty denial.
Unless they are 321SS with lifetime warranty like DMS.

Our dealership sees cracked factory headers on regularly tracked 997 GT3. It's certainly a known issue along with the third mufflers cracking on the welds.

Nothing is forever I guess...
Old 10-09-2016, 12:01 AM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Keep in mind that these aftermarket headers WILL NOT stand up to the abuse the OEM ones will. Eventually something will fail, a CEL will come on and/or an O2 sensor will need replacing. When that doesn't work, the aftermarket company will refurbish the header for $1000 or so because it isn't warrantied. Ask me how I know.
The performance advantage is not worth this headache for me and neither is a possible warranty denial.

This pretty much this sums it up:
If you don't have tolerance to deal with paying for the claim yourself then leave it stock. Dundon and other vendors will have plenty of customers that will be tolerant.

Last edited by Nick Yoskin; 10-09-2016 at 12:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Do Dundon headers or GMG headers have cats. Will they void warranty?