Sponsored by:

bypass exhaust vs catless headers, which is louder

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 02:02 AM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default bypass exhaust vs catless headers, which is louder

I'd like a little more volume, but not too much, so checking to see which is louder.

thanks!
Old 10-06-2016, 02:31 AM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 369 Likes on 204 Posts

catless headers, no drone if used with valves and the center muffler... and volume while at low load is closer to stock. When you want the system to be louder ( getting on it on the onramp or track) it is a bit louder than stock
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 10-06-2016, 04:52 AM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

@ Jamie

When youn say catless headers + center muffler you mean also no side muffler, right? Isn't this very loud compared to stock with closed valves? I guess it may be perfect in loud mode vs. stock with open valves but with no real chance to switch it silent like stock.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
catless headers, no drone if used with valves and the center muffler... and volume while at low load is closer to stock. When you want the system to be louder ( getting on it on the onramp or track) it is a bit louder than stock
I agree with this. See my review post on DMS from last week...

Remember side muffler deleted from other manufacturers generally remove the valve with the muffler. DMS leave the valve (actually they upgrade it to their own which is larger and better quality than OEM) and the twin pipes going into the third muffler so I fact the car can be made only 15% more than stock in quiet mode...
Old 10-06-2016, 01:54 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cay_PI
@ Jamie

When youn say catless headers + center muffler you mean also no side muffler, right? Isn't this very loud compared to stock with closed valves? I guess it may be perfect in loud mode vs. stock with open valves but with no real chance to switch it silent like stock.
Our side deletes have valves that direct the gasses to the longer path of the center muffler to keep things quiet. It isn't very loud at all with the valves closed, in fact it's about the same as stock. It does get quiet and you can talk and have a phone call, in fact the tires are louder than the exhaust on the highway.

Our street (catted) system is setup the same way!

didn't see your post, Mark, thanks!
Old 10-06-2016, 02:44 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
I'd like a little more volume, but not too much, so checking to see which is louder.

thanks!
I think most of the center bypasses on the market fit this description pretty accurately. If you wanted to try ours (for example) and did not like it, I can give you a 100% refund including shipping. Most people who have used ours liked that it doesn't drone and isn't too loud (especially when the valves are closed) - something the larger center bypasses are not quite as good at, and all sound great when the button and throttle are on.

Here's a recent review from a guy that asked a similar question:

IMO - if the car is not a 100% track car, I would absolutely recommend not removing the cats. It's illegal, it puts out incredibly toxic fumes that are hazardous to you and everyone around (think idling in traffic, driving in parking garages, etc.), and it really undermines a lot of fantastic engineering that's been put into modern fuel injected engines. A stock 991 GT3 is a phase I and II Low-Emission Vehicle - something I'm sure Porsche engineers are proud of on this amazing vehicle. It would be completely flipping its profile and turning back 40 years of engineering by removing the cats. Mufflers control sound, cats control emissions. Maybe I'm just an old grumpy PNWer.
Phone: 510-651-0300
Email: dan@sharkwerks.com

SharkWerks' Latest Updates on Twitter
Old 10-06-2016, 05:54 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Extremely happy with mine. Just the right amount/quality of sound.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:22 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Extremely happy with mine. Just the right amount/quality of sound.
What setup do you have?
Old 10-06-2016, 07:57 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
What setup do you have?
SW bypass. Just enough loudness for an old guy.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:09 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,875 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan@SharkWerks
IMO - if the car is not a 100% track car, I would absolutely recommend not removing the cats. It's illegal, it puts out incredibly toxic fumes that are hazardous to you and everyone around (think idling in traffic, driving in parking garages, etc.), and it really undermines a lot of fantastic engineering that's been put into modern fuel injected engines. A stock 991 GT3 is a phase I and II Low-Emission Vehicle - something I'm sure Porsche engineers are proud of on this amazing vehicle. It would be completely flipping its profile and turning back 40 years of engineering by removing the cats. Mufflers control sound, cats control emissions. Maybe I'm just an old grumpy PNWer.
Well said Dan! And BTW our Cup cars use cats for the same reasons.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:09 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
SW bypass. Just enough loudness for an old guy.
Don't listen to Bronson,he's just trying to fool you,I've seen his pic and he's 38 years old.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:37 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan@SharkWerks
I think most of the center bypasses on the market fit this description pretty accurately. If you wanted to try ours (for example) and did not like it, I can give you a 100% refund including shipping. Most people who have used ours liked that it doesn't drone and isn't too loud (especially when the valves are closed) - something the larger center bypasses are not quite as good at, and all sound great when the button and throttle are on. Here's a recent review from a guy that asked a similar question: Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_V0bU5mhvk IMO - if the car is not a 100% track car, I would absolutely recommend not removing the cats. It's illegal, it puts out incredibly toxic fumes that are hazardous to you and everyone around (think idling in traffic, driving in parking garages, etc.), and it really undermines a lot of fantastic engineering that's been put into modern fuel injected engines. A stock 991 GT3 is a phase I and II Low-Emission Vehicle - something I'm sure Porsche engineers are proud of on this amazing vehicle. It would be completely flipping its profile and turning back 40 years of engineering by removing the cats. Mufflers control sound, cats control emissions. Maybe I'm just an old grumpy PNWer.
Thanks Dan. I had your bypass before DMS headers and loved it.

As for arguments on catless race headers - I won't comment on ethical grounds, after all many of us around the world are happily running around in old air cooled cars with no smog gear at all. We are just 0.000001 of the worlds driving population!

What I will say re the 991 GT3 and DMS race headers is this:

Firstly PAGs engineering prowess Euro 5/ carb compliant or not went straight out the window for me on this car when they replaced the first engine due to rod bolt failure then the second engine was replaced by the third due to poorly designed valve train lubrication....well enough said

Secondly In Defence of DMS race headers, mine have not thrown a CEL, they leave no more soot on the rear bumper than before and remarkably I have not noticed any very strong smells yet like I've done when removing cats on previous 911s (no doubt it's there but I haven't noticed as I haven't sat idling in the garage much). In our country there are no emission tests. If there were I would have purchased the DMS catted set up...

Lastly where as the bypass was an aural enhancement the 321SS DMS headers actually add power and torque - significant enough that you notice it immediately you drive away. From a Porsche NA engine for an exhaust alone to make a noticeable difference (not just a wallet supported one) is noteworthy IMO

Last edited by Macca; 10-07-2016 at 03:21 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:05 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by neanicu
Don't listen to Bronson,he's just trying to fool you,I've seen his pic and he's 38 years old.
Oooooh to be 38 again. All you young guys on here is what keeps me going.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:11 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Macca
Thanks Dan. I had your bypass before DMS headers and loved it.

As for arguments on catless race headers - I won't comment on ethical grounds, after all many of us around the world are happily running around in old air cooled cars with no smog gear at all. We are just 0.000001 of the worlds driving population!

What I will say re the 991 GT3 and DMS race headers is this:

Firstly PAGs engineering prowess Euro 5/ carb compliant or not went straight out the window for me on this car when they replaced the first engine due to rod bolt failure then the second engine was replaced by the third due to poorly designed valve train lubrication....well enough said

Secondly In Defence of DMS race headers, mine have not thrown a CEL, they leave no more soot on the rear bumper than before and remarkably I have not noticed any very strong smells yet like I've done when removing cats on previous 911s (no doubt it's there but I haven't noticed as I haven't sat idling in the garage much). In our country there are no emission tests. If there were I would have purchased the DMS catted set up...

Lastly where as the bypass was an aural enhancement the 321SS DMS headers actually add power and torque - significant enough that you notice it immediately you drive away. From a Porsche NA engine for an exhaust alone to make a noticeable difference (not just a wallet supported one) is noteworthy IMO
For those that want great gains and to keep cats, our catted system group buy is up, 31whp and 25ftlbs gains for $6950.00 same price as the Race system, for the first 20 guys...

Quick Reply: bypass exhaust vs catless headers, which is louder