Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Faults on brand new RS after 128 miles from takin delivery

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 07:41 PM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a 1981 SC and a 1996 993TT. Both run great. If interested, let's cut a deal!!!
Old 09-18-2016, 07:52 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 371 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Jockey
I just saw an RS blow an engine on the track. So much about German reliability
If you have more details would love to hear more. Is the 2nd time I've heard an engine going on an RS, the other was in Hong Kong...
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 09-18-2016, 08:06 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 641 Likes on 423 Posts

To be clear, neither the PDK issue nor the software update were "recalls", thus likely wouldn't show up on that Porsche site. My '16 GT3 had the software update which adjusted oil pressure along with some other things. Best way to check is to call your dealer. Those with PDK issue should have already been notified. I heard less than 50 cars (GT3 and RS) in the US.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:13 PM
GT3 Jockey
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
If you have more details would love to hear more. Is the 2nd time I've heard an engine going on an RS, the other was in Hong Kong...
I'm really not comfortable sharing details as the owner or the event organizer might be on this board and they may not want details disclosed. Suffice it to say that it was a 2016 911 GT3 RS with low miles. Track conditions were great and ambient temperature about 75 degrees.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:32 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 175 Posts

I have a 2016 991 GTS. Had similar PSM/ABS and ebrake failure traced to a bad wheel subharness and parking brake control module that needed to be replaced.
Jim
Old 09-19-2016, 04:30 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
I was there with the HK car when it happened. Will confirm that particular MA176 failed catastrophically and under circumstances entirely within operating parameters for the track crowd.

PAG quickly hush-hushed a replacement engine for said owner.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
I was there with the HK car when it happened. Will confirm that particular MA176 failed catastrophically and under circumstances entirely within operating parameters for the track crowd. PAG quickly hush-hushed a replacement engine for said owner.
I have been told of one in Germany exactly the same but I'm struggling to get specifics so cannot confirm it was 100% valve train related though I was told it was the misfire code. The car is an early build and run in the NTC series in Germany. They are production Porsche - only allowed wheel change, geometry and seat change. I'm told there was another with same fault earlier in the season. The HK car sounds more serious than the misfire quote. Early on there were two cars caught fire on tracks in Europe - not rod bolt failure I have the pictures I'll dig up...
Old 09-19-2016, 06:40 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Ok a bit OT, looks like I have 4 different cars on file and two additional reports with no pictures so 6 all up. More than the original GT3? They were reported as "engine failure" but it looks like an electrical or oil fire issue on left hand rear side of engine each time....there is a separate thread posted on this somewhere...
Attached Images      
Old 09-19-2016, 05:23 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not liking all this bad news.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:44 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Ok a bit OT, looks like I have 4 different cars on file and two additional reports with no pictures so 6 all up.
Holy crap man. And like you said, those don't seem related to the valvetrain wear issue at all indeed. Only the first 2014 GT3s had the potential for that from the oil cooler. What the hell can it be? Are there any lines that could be checked for tightness for those tracking their cars? Finally, any links to the thread you mentioned? Couldn't find anything. Curious if vehicles with latest upgrades (built 07/16) are not prone to that at all. Since Porsche doesn't say anything, until you start doing your number-crunching on VINs and such, nobody will know if their cars are potentially affected. Hey, you probably are Porsche's worst nightmare right now. But you definitely are the poster of the year just for this thread.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:24 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There was an engine failure in an RS when an Australian magazine did a review. "wheelsmag" I believe. PAG determined that a valve keeper became loose.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:41 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Holy crap man. And like you said, those don't seem related to the valvetrain wear issue at all indeed. Only the first 2014 GT3s had the potential for that from the oil cooler. What the hell can it be? Are there any lines that could be checked for tightness for those tracking their cars? Finally, any links to the thread you mentioned? Couldn't find anything. Curious if vehicles with latest upgrades (built 07/16) are not prone to that at all. Since Porsche doesn't say anything, until you start doing your number-crunching on VINs and such, nobody will know if their cars are potentially affected. Hey, you probably are Porsche's worst nightmare right now. But you definitely are the poster of the year just for this thread.
Ill see if I can find the link. These pictures are not new, most date back to late last year (summer European season). I assume by now PAG have rectified this issue. It looks like something electrical or friction related thats catching fire but PAG have been very hush on it. As its relatively old news and I havent seen any recent occurrences I assume its been dealt with but we will probably never know the real cause.

The RS is new, earliest examples were delivered in Europe July 2015 so have only seen one full year/season. With teh improved G engine valvetrain these should be a little more robust. I dont think we will see larger numbers of issues till next season when some of these cars have done larger track mileages, and mostly from Europe I suspect. The two cars I know on RL that have seen decent track time (Joe & Peter) have been changing oil very regularly and I think this definitely helps keep the wear at bay.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:36 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Agree with Macca that this may be a case of certain "early build" cars having issues. With inevitable increased use on track, I imagine most issues would've been shaken out by now.

Trakcar and various others' continued track adventures give me comfort that these things aren't made out of Tofu

Our cars will inevitably have more and more electronics in them. Just gotta live with that, or buy a 996 and retire to our "old men" bunkers...
Old 09-20-2016, 02:55 PM
Apolo1
Pro

Received 375 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Not liking all this bad news.
Its not all bad, mine, July 15 car done 8k, today was its 20th track day....Apart from the ABS cable that came lose not missed a beat...Each track day is like a fair ground ride......epic cars......
Old 09-20-2016, 06:17 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

I see that JRCNRING hasn't had time to update his post, but I know the local Porsche indy mechanic couldn't find anything amiss with any of the 4 ABS sensors, therefore car will have to be sent to dealer in a flat-bed. I don't know if he checked the connector side, however. Car also had a noise of something loose under the car behind the seats (transmission) since leaving dealership, and nothing found loose either. We thought it was something loose with the wing, but it was rock solid when checked at lunch. Right after that is when all the warnings showed up, going straight on the highway.

The good news is after disconnecting the battery (it was fully charged, as expected), everything functioned properly en route to the local shop for a few miles, until a pot hole triggered all 4 warnings yet again. That suggests the tranny is NOT an issue, but something electronic. Let's see what JRCNRING tells us after dealer gets its hands on the car.

Quick Reply: Faults on brand new RS after 128 miles from takin delivery