Sponsored by:

Cars.com

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 05:21 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Cars.com

IT is interesting that all customer ordered GT3RS cars are listed "for sale" at MSRP on Cars.com even though they are ordered sold customer cars. Dealers claim that Cars.com lists all cars whether they are pre-sold or not. It would seem the dealer could specify a listed car as sold or not. Clearly there is a game here just not sure what.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:45 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 647 Likes on 309 Posts

It means they are open to offers.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:50 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dealer backend tools can pull all incoming info and post it on other sites. Mine showed up on the web etc and got lots of calls although it was built to order by myself.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:08 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
I have to disagree as I had at least 2 dealers tell me the car I requested information about were customer ordered cars and never were available. I am now starting to question Cars.com period as I have also spoken to dealers who had cars listed at a specific price on their site and the actual asking price was dramatically different (higher). There is a game here I am just not sure who is driving the bus.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:39 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe it's the way that cars.com and Autotrader get there info from the dealers data base. They have contracts with the dealers to list all of their cars. And technical that car hasn't actually sold yet.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:51 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
I don't believe this is always true, when searching for my GT3 I found many listings in cars.com and auto trader for cars that were sold long before they hit the dealerships - very frustrating as i wasted time chasing cars i could not buy.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:17 AM
JQ11
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It automatically lists those incoming (even customer ordered/sold) cars at MSRP - this is not rocket science.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:52 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

The Car resale websites simply print what they are given by the Dealer. The Dealer's motivation is quite simple: To put the dealership in contact with as many potential customers as possible. The lower-than-actual prices are meant to compel customers to call the dealership. It is the old "BAIT AND SWITCH" game and reveals the Ethics of the dealership. It is not only Porsches. Sadly it is used by all brands. Personally, It tells me all I need to know about the dealer and will studiously avoid them in the future.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:27 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
The Car resale websites simply print what they are given by the Dealer. The Dealer's motivation is quite simple: To put the dealership in contact with as many potential customers as possible. The lower-than-actual prices are meant to compel customers to call the dealership. It is the old "BAIT AND SWITCH" game and reveals the Ethics of the dealership. It is not only Porsches. Sadly it is used by all brands. Personally, It tells me all I need to know about the dealer and will studiously avoid them in the future.
This is very false.

There is a feed directly from the dealership to Cars.com / AT. It pulls everything that is in their system at the time of the pull, including ordered sold cars. It will also list a tradein at the price they paid for it, until the UCM goes in and puts a price in.

full disclosure, I work for a division of AT
Old 09-06-2016, 03:26 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

BMW is the same as Porsche as I had newly ordered cars appear on sites. If you look at the dealer site it does the same, and the way to tell it's an ordered car no picture will be posted because it's not in inventory. It appears to be an automatic function it's not unique to Porsche.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:07 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 66mustang
This is very false.

There is a feed directly from the dealership to Cars.com / AT. It pulls everything that is in their system at the time of the pull, including ordered sold cars. It will also list a tradein at the price they paid for it, until the UCM goes in and puts a price in.

full disclosure, I work for a division of AT
You conclude the poor dealer has no control over what is advertised and the price it is advertised for????????? And is so illiterate that he can't read his own ads and correct misinformation. Really??????
Amazing coincidence that somehow most ethical dealers very seldom advertise cars and prices which are not available to callers and yet it seems to happen VERY frequently and repetitively to a certain small subset of dealers.
I Guess there is just no controlling those computers once they contract Artificial
Unintelligence and don't have a good "UCM" or IT Doctor to cure them. ROTFL!
Old 09-07-2016, 04:27 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I think you guys are arguing about the difference between active fraud and passive fraud...

Quick Reply: Cars.com