Stock tires, lots of tread no grip

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 12:42 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by gago1101
Sorry if this topic has been discussed.
It looks like I got lots of tread on the stock tires, but my last 2 track days, and worst the last one, the car was all over sliding. I have 4 track days and quite a few road miles. I have heard about heat cycle, which I would say these tires have gone through at least 9 times. Are they done?
It was frustrating driving the car, it seems I had better grip on my last m3 with super sports.

Edit: just hurts to see the amount of tread that is left, but have to cough up 2k for new tires. Another thing I did not mention, the cars seems it is driven on rocks. I thought I may suck in driving this Porsche, but it over steers under throttle, frustrating.
The harness of all rubber tires will increase as heat cycles are added.
As the hardness goes up the grip goes down. Anyone tracking should buy and use a Tire Durometer to measure Tire hardness.They are not expensive with prices starting at $25.00 on Amazon. That will take the guesswork out of when to buy new Tires, and YES - Road miles also play a role although not as large a role as Track Miles since the heat buildup will be less. My MPSC2's Tire pressures
rise 3-4 PSI on roads and 6-8 PSI on Track - all caused by heating. The Durometer
will also pick up Tires hardening with aging over time, even if unused.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...Tire+Durometer
Old 08-15-2016, 04:11 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gago1101
I average 3-4 sessions per day, so now they have gone through probably 12-14 cycles, including my last day at the track. But they were sliding really bad during my last 2 events as I mentioned.

I am running MSCP2
Doesn't summer temps cause these tires to get greasy feeling also?
Old 08-15-2016, 07:43 PM
Joe731
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default durometer

Hey Fastlaneturbo,

Do you use a durometer? What are the differences you are seeing between new tires and heat cycled out tires?

I am curious because I do have one and have not seen a lot of difference in hardness and maybe I am just doing something wrong.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:07 AM
pittspilot
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

So in the end, I went with the MSP4S. After burning up the P-Zeros. A few reasons why. I just felt that getting the sport cups up to temp would be difficult or impossible on the street, and that does not suit my driving. Also, driving P-Zeros that were almost out of Tread was fun. With lower grip I could feel the car move at subsonic speeds. A little bit of controlled sliding is good for the soul. I could drift my 1981 VW Scirocco S below the speed limit. I don’t have an opinion on the new tires because I am responsibly breaking them in but I’m sure that I will not need more grip than available from these for daily driving.

Quick Reply: Stock tires, lots of tread no grip