Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Road Trip w Bucket-Seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 08:36 PM
donutcritic
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

It's doable - I drove my GT3 ~600 mi home on its first night - with a lot of backpain. Afterwards I installed some simple cut foam pieces ($2 at House of Foam in Palo Alto) and all back pain has been alleviated. Personally I would choose another car from the quiver for such a trip, but it's nice on the twisty bits.

I'm nominally 6ft in good condition.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:53 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 150 Posts

I've driven 500+ miles in my GT4 with LWBs and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

But, it all depends on the drive, roads, how much stuff I need to bring. If boring freeway driving, I would likely take a different car.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:44 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Uh oh???? To sofa or not to sofa?? Another LWB comfort thread....super wowzers, the only other topic that beats this one is resale value threads!!!!!???? Let me make this easy I'll find the lumbar pad from awhile ago someone recommended (I've never used one) but if you get your lower spine tucked against seat they work great....people tend to slouch which causes problems on long drives in these.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:50 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Try these classics...

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/903275-lwb-easy-lumbar-adjustment.html

Or this one..

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-and-911r/851421-improving-lwb-lumbar-support.html

And if you do search (LWB lumbar support) you can throw a dart at screen to pick another random thread and see if you find something useful.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:38 AM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I find the buckets to be very comfortable, with exception that I needed a little more lumbar when I first bought them. I unVelcro'd the covers and added a small sliver of Foam to lowest panel and now they are fine. I haven't done 500 miles, but I've done 100's at a time. Don't see the issue. Drive the car you'll enjoy the most for that particular drive.
Adding foam/padding is what I have done as well and find it works.

This may be more effective
http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/inseluinairc.html

an inflatable bladder for lumbar support that can be tucked behind the alcantara panel. This or similar product I think I have seen posted before
Old 08-07-2016, 04:30 PM
GT63TT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JPMD
Adding foam/padding is what I have done as well and find it works. This may be more effective http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/inseluinairc.html an inflatable bladder for lumbar support that can be tucked behind the alcantara panel. This or similar product I think I have seen posted before
I just ordered a pair of them I'll let you know how they go. Another 500 mile drive Tuesday.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:35 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

We did almost 3 weeks of Euro Delivery with the buckets. I have also done a 14 hour each way trip to Nashville (go Titans!) and back trip with them, not to mention several 5+ hour trips. I have added some padding under the lumbar area (seat cushions are just velcroed in, so easy to supplement). My issue hasn't been the buckets it has been driving the speed limit.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:17 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
My issue hasn't been the buckets it has been driving the speed limit.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:52 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Fentanyl and bourbon on arrival, HTFU.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:01 PM
dntlvet
Pro

I've driven both GT3 and GT4 900+ miles each car with "breaks" and was pretty comfortable.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:42 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
Fentanyl and bourbon on arrival, HTFU.
but will you live to tell the tale afterwards? fentanyl???
Old 08-08-2016, 12:10 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

but will you live to tell the tale afterwards? fentanyl???
"Fentanyl is estimated to have 50 times the potency as pure, pharmacy-grade heroin and about 100 times the potency of morphine." Whatever it takes to make the buckets work. Hard men.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:27 AM
Kodoc
Advanced

Fentanyl was good enough for Prince. Must be good stuff.

Jerry

Interesting factoid: in first 6 months of 2015, 50 people died from fentanyl overdose in Orange and Osceola counties Florida
Old 08-08-2016, 01:12 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Kodoc
Fentanyl was good enough for Prince. Must be good stuff.

Jerry

Interesting factoid: in first 6 months of 2015, 50 people died from fentanyl overdose in Orange and Osceola counties Florida
fentanyl has minted a few billionaires who managed to sneak that stuff under FDA regulations and into the market. check out the rise of John Kapoor, who started Insys pharma, #1 IPO of 2013.. took an old compound like fentanyl and bottled it in little spray bottles patients could spray into their mouths... literally zero cost to him as he just bought regular spray bottles and outsourced the bottling of the compound.. and marketed as a cancer pain drug, except 99% was sold off label for pain.. now you have people who could have taken an NSAID or a very mild pain med, who are taking THE most potent synthetic compound known to man and are totally addicted.. they go into surgery and there is no anesthesia which works for them. craziness.

sorry for the OT...

I'll stick to whiskey if the LWB's cause back pain.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:00 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

fentanyl has minted a few billionaires who managed to sneak that stuff under FDA regulations and into the market. check out the rise of John Kapoor, who started Insys pharma, #1 IPO of 2013.. took an old compound like fentanyl and bottled it in little spray bottles patients could spray into their mouths... literally zero cost to him as he just bought regular spray bottles and outsourced the bottling of the compound.. and marketed as a cancer pain drug, except 99% was sold off label for pain.. now you have people who could have taken an NSAID or a very mild pain med, who are taking THE most potent synthetic compound known to man and are totally addicted.. they go into surgery and there is no anesthesia which works for them. craziness.

sorry for the OT...

I'll stick to whiskey if the LWB's cause back pain.
On topic story: Wife would fall asleep in the LWB during 2000 KM of Euro Delivery. She thought they were more comfortable than she initially thought they would be.

Off Topic Story (Fentanyl): My sister was in a bad car accident in 2008 that left in her in an induced coma for 5 weeks. She was on Fentanyl for 3-4 weeks for pain. When they were ready to take her off the drug they put her on Morphine to ease her transition to no pain meds. She went crazy during this transition and they had to take other measures. To this day she is fine and never had an issue with pain meds but all I can say about Fentanyl is that I hope I never have to be on that stuff for pain.

Quick Reply: Extended Road Trip w Bucket-Seats