Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

.2RS release date

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 02:02 PM
991PTSRS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still curious where and why people think there's more RS's produced than GT3's... Where is that proof?
Old 08-02-2016, 02:02 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

Ok yes there will be 4.2 GT3RS but it will be SE and only 918 owners. How long is the actual 918 VIP program? Didn't they take it down from 10 years to 5 years?
Old 08-02-2016, 02:09 PM
Four Liter
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All this '' no .2RS'' talk has me in a tough spot . I'm next on the list for the current car and suspect an allocation will come in before production ends , but I won't get PTS and CXX options may get limited near the end . I could pass and be first on the next generation and get everything I want , but it won't mean much if there isn't a next one . The dealer lists are set up so that you don't move over to another model and push your way into the line. Looks like the adage about a ''bird in the hand .... '' applies .
Old 08-02-2016, 02:44 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Four Liter
All this '' no .2RS'' talk has me in a tough spot . I'm next on the list for the current car and suspect an allocation will come in before production ends , but I won't get PTS and CXX options may get limited near the end . I could pass and be first on the next generation and get everything I want , but it won't mean much if there isn't a next one . The dealer lists are set up so that you don't move over to another model and push your way into the line. Looks like the adage about a ''bird in the hand .... '' applies .
I wouldn't pass on any RS allocation.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:04 PM
Four Liter
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
I wouldn't pass on any RS allocation.
I won't - just somehow wish there was that magic 30 PTS slots to see the old girl out . Dealer says no although PTS is apparently open for other regular '17 models . I'd pay double or triple the PTS charge if I could get it .
Old 08-02-2016, 03:35 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
u didnt' tell me you wanted msrp GT4. i just dumped one of our group's car at dealer. i didnt have interest answering idiotic questions. dealer paid me 5k over on the spot. it's now marked 10k over what he paid me. and it will sell. there's a red GT4 selling on GT4 board, chrisF's car. that's a hell of a GT4 for his asking price.

i have GT4 and 991RS. manual has it's place so does PDK. i prefer both

but if i can only have one, i will take PDK-S.
i am selling all my antiques bc they dont have pdk-s
the 4.0 is spared b/c it was a gift, can't really sell it.
but that's just me getting lazy shifting. it distracts me from sexting and posting on RL.
Mooty, your garage is sick. I want to be you when I grow up.

Originally Posted by silverrules
My birdie says 4.2L on next RS as well and sure hope MT and PDK is offered on RS so we have a choice.
I'm told it's very likely going to happen. My guess is they will go the route similar to BMW and others, with a more stout twin clutch setup....but maybe not. Porsche moves very slow. BMW has been using clutch stops, and self adjusting pressure plates, and twin disc clutch packs for years to reduce drivetrain wear and damage....Porsche JUST started using them with the GT4.

I think this, along with the rev-match has given them the confidence to offer them for the entire range again. That along with the fact that the market has spoken and there is clearly room for a 6-spd in the lineup.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:47 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 80 Posts

They should give us a way to turn off rev match completely a la Chevy instead of forcing it in lockstep with sport mode.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Ok yes there will be 4.2 GT3RS but it will be SE and only 918 owners. How long is the actual 918 VIP program? Didn't they take it down from 10 years to 5 years?
A final "Hurrah" perhaps. Maybe they will even stuff a MT in there for old times sake. Sounds like it will be truly unobtainable however. Much like the 997.2 4.0L in our part of the world - never seen one being actually used for what it was intended! Became collectors car from day dot....
Old 08-02-2016, 06:22 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hopefully the rear wing will be changed and I don't mean bigger.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:23 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,741 Likes on 2,702 Posts

Originally Posted by tqevo
They should give us a way to turn off rev match completely a la Chevy instead of forcing it in lockstep with sport mode.
You can in the GT cars (both GT4 and 911R have Sport button that only controls rev-matching, and also opens the cooling radiator a little sooner).
Old 08-02-2016, 06:43 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,812 Likes on 2,173 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
A final "Hurrah" perhaps. Maybe they will even stuff a MT in there for old times sake. Sounds like it will be truly unobtainable however. Much like the 997.2 4.0L in our part of the world - never seen one being actually used for what it was intended! Became collectors car from day dot....
Man, how many more numbered GT cars will Porsche throw into the VIP/918 circle jerk?
Old 08-02-2016, 08:19 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
You can in the GT cars (both GT4 and 911R have Sport button that only controls rev-matching, and also opens the cooling radiator a little sooner).
I understand. That's my gripe with it. You can't turn off rev matching and have sport mode on.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:40 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tqevo
I understand. That's my gripe with it. You can't turn off rev matching and have sport mode on.
It also "rev holds" on upshifts using sport mode.

We ran a loose experiment at our local track with a GT4. Using sport mode it gave away 0.4-0.5s a lap to my GT3 due to 3 upshifts per 1.4 mile lap. My 993 gives away 1.2s on 6 upshifts same lap (Lower gearing). It's a relatively tight track. Turning sport mode off the same driver in the GT4 will loose another 0.3-0.4s a lap, not so much from the auto blip downshifts although they aid stability much like PDK but in the rev hold on upshifts!

The secret to the manual GT4 lap times on track is twofold. Tall gearing for less upshifts with similar torque to 911/GT3 but also the BIG factor is rev hold on upshifts.

In sport mode the GT4 is acting more like a PDK than a true manual.

If you want to try this yourself ask a mate at the track who times his laps and is competent and consistent to turn sport mode off and see what it does to his lap times. I 100% guaranty they will be slower. No matter how good he is at heel and tie he cannot emulate the "rev hold" benefits on up shift.....

This is one reason why the delta on track between GT4 and GT3 is relatively small. The rest is down to the GT4 superior dynamics and slightly lower weight.

Many wax lyrical about GT4 manual transmission being so involving. But they only use sport mode especially in the track. Having driven all of them my opinion is an air cooled manual is a vastly different MT experience. It's slower, move involving and it doesn't help you. Of course this can work against a poor MT driver who doesn't know how to H&T...
Old 08-02-2016, 08:48 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Does this mean no more regular allocated RS in the 991 line up?
Old 08-02-2016, 08:49 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

No one knows but it sure seems possible with the 2017 RSR being mid-engined and likely turbo charged that the current RS is the last one.

Quick Reply: .2RS release date