Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Salomondrin's Predictions on GT3 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016 | 11:32 AM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
Turbos don't give a car better MPG, it's displacement and weight. That's why the new C2/S engine is a 3.0 (smaller than previously) they just add a turbo to keep the HP numbers up to sell more cars than before. Not many people (if any) want to buy a less powerful Gen then before. It goes against marketing strategy.
This is correct. It is incredible how so many people link lower MPG to turbos. Like all that power is free. Turbos guzzle more fuel per liter of engine displacement than NA cars. More power means more fuel. Compressing air into a cylinder with its added, and increased, stoichiometric equivalent fuel increases power output (torque more specifically).
Old 07-21-2016 | 12:06 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997s07
This is correct. It is incredible how so many people link lower MPG to turbos. Like all that power is free. Turbos guzzle more fuel per liter of engine displacement than NA cars. More power means more fuel. Compressing air into a cylinder with its added, and increased, stoichiometric equivalent fuel increases power output (torque more specifically).
Of course you're right, but the Euro (and US to a smaller extent) emissions and consumption testing protocols are bogus and give an unrepresentative advantage to small displacement turbos. Manufacturers are forced to use small displacement turbo motors to pass these testing protocols, not because they save fuel and emit less.
Old 07-21-2016 | 12:12 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GrantG
Of course you're right, but the Euro (and US to a smaller extent) emissions and consumption testing protocols are bogus and give an unrepresentative advantage to small displacement turbos. Manufacturers are forced to use small displacement turbo motors to pass these testing protocols, not because they save fuel and emit less.
Makes you wonder how the relative agencies don't revise their testing protocols. Not that I want them to since it would mean even smaller engine displacements in future cars.
Old 07-21-2016 | 01:34 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
Turbos don't give a car better MPG, it's displacement and weight. That's why the new C2/S engine is a 3.0 (smaller than previously) they just add a turbo to keep the HP numbers up to sell more cars than before. Not many people (if any) want to buy a less powerful Gen then before. It goes against marketing strategy.
Captain obvious, I never said turbos give the car better MPG. Of course they don't. It's not some magical device. I said they moved to a more efficient engine, identifying it as the turbo engine in the Carrera. That is where Porsche will meet the MPG requirements in their sports car lineup because it is higher volume production. That benefit is not in the GT line because it's a smaller volume line which is counter to Salomondrin's wrongly based argument.
Old 07-21-2016 | 01:45 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

He's upset because he wants to sell his 4.0 and he only bought the 911R for resale and future value.. -New age owners..
I just want to drive the car I grew up dreaming about. I don't care if it retains significant value, as long as I get to enjoy it while I can.
Old 07-21-2016 | 02:37 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RealityGT
He's upset because he wants to sell his 4.0 and he only bought the 911R for resale and future value.. -New age owners..
I just want to drive the car I grew up dreaming about. I don't care if it retains significant value, as long as I get to enjoy it while I can.
Agree. Not the world of today though.
Old 07-21-2016 | 02:42 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
I made the first comment about his mouth being bigger than his brain. It was a bit harsh (even though it's obviously true!) as he is an ok guy.

The thing that really drives me up the wall with these guys is the vids are way too long. You watch a Shmee review and it takes 25 mins for him to say next to nothing. Any of the proper motoring journalists tell you way more in 5 mins. JWW is the same. Salo's proper episodes like Hyper 5 are actually pretty good though
and yet somehow.. we watch them from start to finish.. there must be a perverse pleasure we don't understand in ourselves in watching a narcissist talk about nothing for 30 minutes.. even when we catch all the factual mistakes and fanboy platitutudes.

Originally Posted by BetaPro
This is my first post on this forum and I don't even own a Porsche.
But I just had to chime in and say that this is so accurate. I feel like the whole English gang of car youtubers all have the same style of repeating "awesome", "incredible", "insane" etc. while not saying anything useful. People seem to like it though. Salomondrin actually has some contents in his talks imo. However I think in this vid he's basically trying to protect his own investment ie. 911R.
The only thing interesting with salomondrin, is he has real humor, and he is self deprecating.. that makes him likable. he also has the ***** to trade his cars, and talk about them, and expose problems where they lie.. the video on why he sold the Pagani and the incredibly forthright way in which he called out Horacio Pagani and every employee in that company by name was impressive.. virtually guaranteed to never own one of those cars again. He also was incredibly honest in his video talking about the reality of hypercar prices, which ones are worth it, which ones aren't.. when he basically laughed at David Lee for buying his Huayra for $1.8M that was the cherry on top.. the dude just doesn't care about making enemies.

Favorite of all videos, was the informative one where he added up all the money one needs to spend in order to partake in the scam which is the process of becoming a ferrari VIP. he ended up doing the math and figured out that paying the premium on a LaF for example, is waaay cheaper. No one else gets into silliness like this, which is why I watch his stuff. (and the fact that he doesn't give a **** about smoking weed online while doing it.) YouThe dude is "Different".. and that works, even when his focus is just wraps and colors.
Originally Posted by consolidated
Schmee and Salomondrid in a cage match would be a good video, short one but the internet demands it.
you have to hand it to schmee though.. he was one of the original kids in London who would run after the arabs in their supercars when that was a thing.. then he put a little catchy tune to his videos and just kept the format the same (people love predictability) and just put out massive amounts of empty content.. but it got people into a habit. Little by little he earned his way into the minds of OEM's and soon the people who's cars he chased, now asked him to be in them and to drive them. He's annoying as ****, but you have to admire his persevierence. Reminds me, that by definition, failure is only possible when you quit.. he's terrible, but he just never quit and now he's living his dream. good for him. "Hi, I'm Schmee..... bla bla bla amazing day.. bla bla bla..)

Last edited by CAlexio; 07-21-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-22-2016 | 01:53 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Favorite of all videos, was the informative one where he added up all the money one needs to spend in order to partake in the scam which is the process of becoming a ferrari VIP. he ended up doing the math and figured out that paying the premium on a LaF for example, is waaay cheaper.
Which video is this? Linky link?
Old 07-24-2016 | 11:20 AM
JonA85
Racer

Fast forward to 5:25

Old 07-24-2016 | 01:57 PM
Kills Bugs Fast
Advanced

Originally Posted by jo_ker
right as said on RL: that Salomondrin is scared about his 997 4.0 value.

as some here are scared about their 991.1GT3+RS values. understandable.

Why such a hudge demand on 991GT models? Because of value of 997GT models. So resale/values are a topic. Also in Zuffenhausen. But not that priority as the year to year balance sheet.

i hope it will be Manual and Turbo.
but even more i hope a regular and N/A 991.2GT3RS is NOT comming (based on GT2RS comes and will set the needed magazin laptimes (why a nostalcig N/A RS? (because people buy thousands of this too..))).
hopefully only a limited 991.2GT3RSCupEdition will come.
why i hope this? because than i would own and drive an even more special car.
egostic. not good. but logic.

another big point for salomondrin his opinion is clickbaiting.
mr Salomondrin himself confirmed this in his latest video - that his prediction was what he was hoping for and that he got it wrong...fast forward to 5:25...RL shoutout included!

Old 07-24-2016 | 02:02 PM
Kills Bugs Fast
Advanced

Originally Posted by JonA85
JonA85 - you beat me to it - totally missed the post sir!

Quick Reply: Salomondrin's Predictions on GT3 991.2