Sponsored by:

2016 Audi R8 v10 plus vs GT3/RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 09:59 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
"LG - you rock for answering all my questions ... guess what, spoke to the dealer today and he confirmed test car will be in my city by the time i come back or one week after i return. Laguna_Dude: Nice! Keep us posted! Where i live i actually can push the GT3 all the time to red line or close to it. Also bec i put the DMS headers and gained a lot of whp and wtq it always pulls i feel. I have always been a die hard 911 fan but the RS seems out of reach. Laguna_Dude: Most be nice! CA is crowded and cops are everywhere... rarely do you get an open turn or opportunity to play around. Will test drive the R8 and see what happens. If i like it more than GT3 will go for it. If not then will either keep looking for RS or just wait till next .3 but i am very excited to test drive one after everything you have said and glad to know i can order it from dealer with cup 2. I know trofeo R are probably even more of a performance tire but on street the feedback i got is they won't last as long as the cup 2. I was very satisfied with cup 2 on my GT3. Laguna_Dude: Cup 2 should be fine for street. All you would need is a propery aligment/setup and your dialed. If you don't like R8; i would wait until more info on 991.2 3/RS is out.. looks like they are going to be N/A and manual; making the current cars come down to normal pricing levels. PS the camo green is not a exclusive color, it is a metallic no extra cost option. Dealer has your same red in showroom with black interior, has a blue one with red interior and white one with red interior. I would go for the blue if it was not for red interior. My DD has red interior so want a change from that plus my 3 has the red stitching and red gauges red sear belts so i am up for a change " Laguna_Dude: That is correct; I was only pointing out that any non-standard customizations will add 60+ days to delivery.. even something as simple as painting wheel black. i personally do not like color inside; that should be all business.. but that is personal taste. White is a solid color as well.. never go wrong with that!
Nowhere on configurator did i find a lift system? Does it come as standard or does the car have enough clearance that it is not needed?
Old 07-19-2016, 02:15 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 KSA
Nowhere on configurator did i find a lift system? Does it come as standard or does the car have enough clearance that it is not needed?
No lift option; front is not very low... no need. it does appear to have functional diffusers on bottom at tail.. maybe that's why it doesn't need to be so low on the front.

Last edited by Laguna_Dude; 07-19-2016 at 03:02 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:34 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 181 Posts

Congrats! I love white! Was torn to get white or the dynamite red.. went with red only because my last several cars were white.. that beast looks great! Are you loving it?!??
Yes, i am enjoying the car very much. very comfortable,great on the Autobahn.
Only problem i am staying in Vienna, 2hr 15 min to DE Autobahn
245/30/20 Pzeros suck, wish I could have ordered MSC2s.
3400 kms (2200 mi) and counting
Old 07-20-2016, 12:42 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Good news and bad news

Good news is dealer in my city confirmed he should have an R8 v10 plus for test drive within 1 week to 10 days after i get back from vacation

Bad news is i would have to spend about $40 k. I know it is not a lot but considering i only got my GT3 in Feb (less than 6 months ago) it is.

Yes it was a trade where i paid only $12 k but all the mods, protection as well as decals is around another $12-$18 k, that means if i do the switch, the $24-$30 k i spend since Feb would go to waste. I also think changing a car every 6 months would be too much!!!

I am still going to test drive it either way. If i really love it then i will consider it when the time comes to buy a new car but for sure now is too soon ... Sorry if i wasted anyone's time but it hit me yesterday over brunch
Old 07-21-2016, 03:25 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

Good news and bad news

Good news is dealer in my city confirmed he should have an R8 v10 plus for test drive within 1 week to 10 days after i get back from vacation

Bad news is i would have to spend about $40 k. I know it is not a lot but considering i only got my GT3 in Feb (less than 6 months ago) it is.

Yes it was a trade where i paid only $12 k but all the mods, protection as well as decals is around another $12-$18 k, that means if i do the switch, the $24-$30 k i spend since Feb would go to waste. I also think changing a car every 6 months would be too much!!!

I am still going to test drive it either way. If i really love it then i will consider it when the time comes to buy a new car but for sure now is too soon ... Sorry if i wasted anyone's time but it hit me yesterday over brunch
I sold my GT3 in private deal vs. trade in; as dealer was only willing to give me wholesale on my GT3... only took a couple weeks to sell. But since mine was a low MSRP GT3.. there was still quite a different in moving up to the R8. I would enjoy your GT3 a little longer then; but timing wise; if the new 991.2 GT3 is announced to be 4.0L with manual, that will have a negative impact on the resale value of your car. So if you're worried about taking a hit; be weary of that risk.. as it is looking more and more real as photos are leaked. Keep us posted on the test drive. Curious to hear your thoughts.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:24 AM
markow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good news and bad news

i don't know why you want to change from a special car like the GT3 to a bland-looking comfy-ish R8plus. the GT3 conveys real driving feeling which the audi cannot even get close to, inspite its nice engine.
peter
Old 07-21-2016, 08:45 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by markow
i don't know why you want to change from a special car like the GT3 to a bland-looking comfy-ish R8plus. the GT3 conveys real driving feeling which the audi cannot even get close to, inspite its nice engine. peter
Like i said many times i never intended to sell unless i can get Gt3 RS allocation or MSRP (both not possible) so when a private buyer approached me for a good price i looked at alternatives to the RS. Now that i think of it even if i got an RS at allocation i would still need to pay a bigger difference than $40k most likely with my build so either way would probably hold on to my car but if i got allocation of RS it would take 6-9 months to come and i'd need to sell my car now for that price which would mean no weekend car for a while
Old 07-21-2016, 08:46 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

I sold my GT3 in private deal vs. trade in; as dealer was only willing to give me wholesale on my GT3... only took a couple weeks to sell. But since mine was a low MSRP GT3.. there was still quite a different in moving up to the R8. I would enjoy your GT3 a little longer then; but timing wise; if the new 991.2 GT3 is announced to be 4.0L with manual, that will have a negative impact on the resale value of your car. So if you're worried about taking a hit; be weary of that risk.. as it is looking more and more real as photos are leaked. Keep us posted on the test drive. Curious to hear your thoughts.
I agree and i am aware of this but i cannot fathom changing a car after 6 months. I am only 34 i guess i have a long life (god willing) ahead of me to own i hope many cars like these

Will keep you informed after test drive
Old 07-28-2016, 09:38 AM
Road Racin
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Does the R8 push? I have a gt3 and a 16 tuned rs7 and find the front end pushes in turns. This is my first AWD car but have always heard that Audis ALL push because of the motor hung out past the shock towers...

So, does the r8 turn? My rs7 may be the best street family hauler I've ever seen. GT3 is my track car. So now I'm wanting an r8, huracan (60k more expensive r8?) or an ACR because racecar
Old 08-07-2016, 01:02 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Got back from vacation last week and only yesterday was able to make it to Audi as i had a couple of hours to spare on my Saturday

Unfortunately, the demo car for test drives has yet to arrive but probably next week. The good news is they had one v10 plus in stock that i got to see in person. Very nice looking car interior and exterior. Turned on the engine and revved it a couple of times. Sounded awesome!

I found strange though the redline was at 6-6500 but in youtube videos it was about 8,500+ is it bec the car was in park or is it bec it had zero mileage? I am not used to digital gauges so maybe they change thought i'd ask
Old 08-07-2016, 01:32 PM
fibredog
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 51 Posts

Got back from vacation last week and only yesterday was able to make it to Audi as i had a couple of hours to spare on my Saturday Unfortunately, the demo car for test drives has yet to arrive but probably next week. The good news is they had one v10 plus in stock that i got to see in person. Very nice looking car interior and exterior. Turned on the engine and revved it a couple of times. Sounded awesome! I found strange though the redline was at 6-6500 but in youtube videos it was about 8,500+ is it bec the car was in park or is it bec it had zero mileage? I am not used to digital gauges so maybe they change thought i'd ask
Audi redline is dynamic based on engine temp. Redline goes up as the engine temp goes up. Similar to my S6.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:39 PM
Road Racin
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep. Temp controlled. My rs7 does the same.
But I also wouldn't be free revving a cold oil turbo or motor
Old 08-07-2016, 02:13 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm an "Audi guy"... Have owned 10 in a row now and still have the 2017 Q7 and a 750+ HP stage 2 RS7. I was almost sure the new R8 was the next step for me, but the test drive didn't excite me the way I expected it to. Almost felt too refined, too planted, too easy... It didn't seem to have that rip your face off feel and the active noise cancellation gives it a more insulated feel like my RS7. I ended up adding the GT3 and couldn't be happier. There's a lot more raw feeling to the GT3; much more of a drivers car IME, but I could see the R8 being a better car for the guy who follows more of the traffic laws, drives it to work regularly and takes it out for dinners with the wife. Once I started driving the GT3 in manual mode while in town/traffic, I was able to tolerate it for getting around. Plus, i just couldn't get over the front end facelift of the R8. Just looks like they ran out of time on the front and slapped the big grill on there. Doesn't appeal to me visually enough and the look of the 911, as we all know, is timeless.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:45 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tonymission
I'm an "Audi guy"... Have owned 10 in a row now and still have the 2017 Q7 and a 750+ HP stage 2 RS7. I was almost sure the new R8 was the next step for me, but the test drive didn't excite me the way I expected it to. Almost felt too refined, too planted, too easy... It didn't seem to have that rip your face off feel and the active noise cancellation gives it a more insulated feel like my RS7. I ended up adding the GT3 and couldn't be happier. There's a lot more raw feeling to the GT3; much more of a drivers car IME, but I could see the R8 being a better car for the guy who follows more of the traffic laws, drives it to work regularly and takes it out for dinners with the wife. Once I started driving the GT3 in manual mode while in town/traffic, I was able to tolerate it for getting around. Plus, i just couldn't get over the front end facelift of the R8. Just looks like they ran out of time on the front and slapped the big grill on there. Doesn't appeal to me visually enough and the look of the 911, as we all know, is timeless.
what you said above makes me want to hold onto the GT3 for life!

I still think i owe it to myself and anyone out there who is curious to test drive the R8 and see what plays out
Old 08-07-2016, 03:40 PM
roger sf
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymission
I agree with this post. Tye r8 s a jekyl and Hyde car though. Very comfortable and usable below 5k and a different animal in dynamic mode and above 5k. Tame test drives will only reveal 1/2 the character of the car.

Quick Reply: 2016 Audi R8 v10 plus vs GT3/RS