Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your First Real Car: Why It's Probably Special

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 11:58 PM
raymoni
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first car was an 86 Cavalier, and thought it was a horrible distant memory until this topic reminded me....
Old 07-15-2016, 12:06 AM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 293 Posts

Haha, omg I had a 86 Pontiac Sunbird which I believe was the same just rebranded. I had 4-15" subs instead of the back seats on a 4 door. That was my second vehicle, first and only ever to be impounded...memories

Originally Posted by raymoni
My first car was an 86 Cavalier, and thought it was a horrible distant memory until this topic reminded me....
Old 07-15-2016, 12:13 AM
raymoni
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FLT6SPD
Haha, omg I had a 86 Pontiac Sunbird which I believe was the same just rebranded. I had 4-15" subs instead of the back seats on a 4 door. That was my second vehicle, first and only ever to be impounded...memories
LOL. The sunbird was definitely the cooler version!! and had a kicker box no less!! Mine was en ex government car. Puke brown, with brown vinyll interior.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:02 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jennifer911
When I was 16 my dad bought me an ancient 1967 MGB. He didn’t let me drive it until he went through all the mechanical and safety related systems. It had the odd dent and scratch, and the no first gear synchromesh design made it a challenge to drive. But I didn’t care, I just wanted a cool convertible sports car to tool around in. My Dad being my dad, decided he would schedule the little MG into his shop for a full paint, but first he would stop all oil leaks, which is pretty difficult since they are part of the DNA of English sports cars. When he also told me he had acquired the parts to convert the transmission to an all synchromesh and build an additional overdrive, I was in despair that I may never get to drive the car.

Just when I though things couldn’t get any worse, I was summoned to help with the machining and final assembly of the transmission. I really didn’t enjoy smelling like gear oil for a week.

The body prep and painting were more hard work. Again I didn’t like smelling of paint thinner for a week, but the car was now beautiful. Dad said learning all this was a good investment and that caring for your car can be very satisfying.

A few weeks later just as the paint was almost fully cured, my stupid high school boyfriend was leaning/sitting up against the car with his scruffy blue jeans. I was in a panic to save my car from any hurt. I opened my mouth to yell, but what I had recently learned about the workings of the teenage boy’s mind made me realize that would be counterproductive. Instead, I lunged at him with a vicious sucker punch to the gut sending him reeling. Dad was right. Caring for your car can be very satisfying.
That's an awesome story!
Old 07-15-2016, 01:06 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by allans
Good to know some of us are still alive. Cheers.
...and kicking.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:18 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts

Mine was a '68 Mustang. I drove that car through four years of Binghamton, NY winters and then for more punishment through another few years of Buffalo winters. Great way to learn car control. Now I curse everyone on the road who is constantly on their brakes driving in snow and ice.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:32 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Am I the oldest wheezer here, with a '58 VW? I didn't start that early. Come on where are the really old guys?

An old story about that VW, one of the brakes locked pretty soon after I bought the car from my dad. So I took that brake apart and did the same to the other three. When I was done I proudly pointed to my dad that I had saved a ton by rebuilding them myself. He then saw a shoebox that I had with some bolts, parts etc that was near the car and asked what those were. I explained that once I was done with rebuilding the brakes those parts were "leftover." My dad took the keys away and forced me to redo the brakes, clearly telling me that unless I found where those parts were used that the car would not move again. Needless to say I worked day and night till I found their use. If he had not forced me and allowed me to keep the keys maybe I would not be posting here today!

Last edited by Just in time; 07-16-2016 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:20 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
Am I the oldest wheezer here, with a '58 VW? I didn't start that early. Come on where are the really old guys?

An old story about that VW, one of the brakes locked pretty soon after I bought the car from my dad. So I took that brake apart and did the same to the other three. When I was done I proudly pointed to my dad that I had saved a ton by rebuilding them myself. He then saw a shoebox that I had with some bolts, parts etc that was near the car and asked what those were. I explained that once I was done with rebuilding the brakes those parts were "leftover." My dad took the keys away and forced me to redo the brakes, clearly telling me that unless I found where those parts were used that the car would not move again. Needless to say I worked day and night till I found their use. If I had not forced me and allowed me to keep the keys maybe I would not be posting here today!
I know the feeling. Sounds like your dad is similar to mine.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:41 PM
John Elliot
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1962 Austin Healy Sprite. Loved that car.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:46 AM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine was a 1995 Volvo 850 T5-R. Loved that car, had so much character.

Quick Reply: Your First Real Car: Why It's Probably Special