Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Futura Tandem Axle trailer - anyone used it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 05:44 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Thinking about pulling the trigger, it’s time for a new trailer. Would be for my 996 supercup and other toys. Is the shorter ~17’ the one to get for a GT3?
Old 03-01-2022, 01:54 PM
PeteAZ
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

The shorter one is definitely the ticket unless you are going to be towing something ultra long.

I have had a 16.5' Futura Supercar for a couple years now and it has been fantastic for both my street and race cars. Width is more of an issue than length. The GT3 fits easy, but the 350 is tight side to side.

Best thing (for me at least) about the shorter length is that I can squeeze the loaded trailer into my ****ty AZ house garage (garages here are tiny) so if I have to leave for a race early AM, I can load over at the other garage the night before and stage everything indoors at the house. Also, no ramps needed for GT3.

The following users liked this post:
Apex Ace (05-04-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 12:53 AM
BruceAMG
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteAZ
The shorter one is definitely the ticket unless you are going to be towing something ultra long.

I have had a 16.5' Futura Supercar for a couple years now and it has been fantastic for both my street and race cars. Width is more of an issue than length. The GT3 fits easy, but the 350 is tight side to side.

Best thing (for me at least) about the shorter length is that I can squeeze the loaded trailer into my ****ty AZ house garage (garages here are tiny) so if I have to leave for a race early AM, I can load over at the other garage the night before and stage everything indoors at the house. Also, no ramps needed for GT3.

@PeteAZ if I may ask, what is your garage depth?
I currently have a refundable deposit on a new Futura SuperSport due to arrive in 2-3 weeks, but because of my very limited usage needs as well as an HOA that keeping it outdoors may turn into a pain or impossible, I’m kicking around letting it go…..your in garage pic has given me new hope as my garage lacks in depth.
Old 05-04-2022, 02:46 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 771 Likes on 393 Posts

Here you go. Found it on google in about 30 seconds. 22' garage is what is needed.
Old 05-04-2022, 08:24 AM
BruceAMG
AutoX

Originally Posted by joejenie

Here you go. Found it on google in about 30 seconds. 22' garage is what is needed.
I am still curious what HIS garage depth is since I have a visual of it he provided. If his is 22’ that’s great, maybe his is a different dimension.
Old 05-24-2022, 05:18 PM
ramans
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

For those using the shorter Futura trailers are you able to get fuel jugs onto it as well? I currently have an older Trailex (The 911 Trailer Model) and I have a toolbox for jack, jack stands, and a few extras, plus four fuel jugs on it which I need for track days because we have two drivers and can't run out and get fuel every other session easily. I'm getting sick of pulling the ramps out of the trailex and stowing them plus needing to use the race ramps to clear my 981 Cayman S. With a GT4 on the way I'm worried it'll be even closer. I've got a 5K weight limit on my motorhome which I sometimes use so enclosed is really not an option.

I saw the one post with the fuel jugs up front, wondering if they could also be somehow put in the rear if the car needed to be further forward for tongue weight considerations.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:30 AM
PeteAZ
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceAMG
@PeteAZ if I may ask, what is your garage depth?
I currently have a refundable deposit on a new Futura SuperSport due to arrive in 2-3 weeks, but because of my very limited usage needs as well as an HOA that keeping it outdoors may turn into a pain or impossible, I’m kicking around letting it go…..your in garage pic has given me new hope as my garage lacks in depth.
Sorry I missed this, Bruce. My garage depth is just over 23' deep. That said, one of the reasons it barely fits in the garage is because the rear wing of the race car extends past the rear of the trailer by a good 6". With the GT3 or any normal car on the trailer, it fits no problem.

Originally Posted by ramans
For those using the shorter Futura trailers are you able to get fuel jugs onto it as well? I currently have an older Trailex (The 911 Trailer Model) and I have a toolbox for jack, jack stands, and a few extras, plus four fuel jugs on it which I need for track days because we have two drivers and can't run out and get fuel every other session easily. I'm getting sick of pulling the ramps out of the trailex and stowing them plus needing to use the race ramps to clear my 981 Cayman S. With a GT4 on the way I'm worried it'll be even closer. I've got a 5K weight limit on my motorhome which I sometimes use so enclosed is really not an option.

I saw the one post with the fuel jugs up front, wondering if they could also be somehow put in the rear if the car needed to be further forward for tongue weight considerations.
I put up to 4 of the 5 gal VP square jugs up front wedged between the lower front splitter of the blue car and the rock guard. Never had an issue. When towing a street car, I tie them down through the handles and up through the holes in the rock guard to the winch mounts. Never any issues either way. Could also mount 2 of them on the tongue itself with the VP mounts.
Old 05-26-2022, 01:37 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

I have a 2021 Futura trailer and tow my GT4 Clubsport. My last trip I carried 4 fuel bottles and 4 wheels and 6 tires on the rack. i put my car within 4" of the front rail so the tongue weight works out. I tow with my Porsche Cayenne diesel which is no problem going over the passes.

The following users liked this post:
sgreer78 (07-19-2023)
Old 05-26-2022, 01:31 PM
ramans
Racer

Originally Posted by PeteAZ
I put up to 4 of the 5 gal VP square jugs up front wedged between the lower front splitter of the blue car and the rock guard. Never had an issue. When towing a street car, I tie them down through the handles and up through the holes in the rock guard to the winch mounts. Never any issues either way. Could also mount 2 of them on the tongue itself with the VP mounts.
Which VP Mounts work on the tongue. Happy to see them fitting between the front of the Cayman like that I was hoping that would work. It's interesting, the Trailex design just went from leaf springs to torsion bars which added signfigantly to the weight, so the Futura is now approximately the same weight (at least by the web sites), unlike the older Trailex which was 780-830lbs.

Has anyone actually weighed a 16.5' version with a tire rack (new version with the locking rod through it) and a front shield, mildly curious what it actually comes out too. My trailex works quite well, but it's a tight squeeze for my Cayman and if we ever went much wider I'm not sure it would fit. I have a GT4 on order, and supposedly a spot for a 4RS coming but I don't believe that right now.
Old 05-26-2022, 05:49 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

I haven't weighed mine yet but the tire rack is pretty light. You will need the weight to get the tongue weight correct. You will have room for fuel bottles on the trailer, I just lash my bottles down with bungee cords to the track system.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:34 PM
ramans
Racer

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
I haven't weighed mine yet but the tire rack is pretty light. You will need the weight to get the tongue weight correct. You will have room for fuel bottles on the trailer, I just lash my bottles down with bungee cords to the track system.
Curious about the comment on needing the weight to get the tongue weight correct. What do you do at the end of the day when your gas cans are empty, and the car is empty of fuel as well? For my trailer thats 6 gallons x 4 x 6lbs a gallon or 144 lbs, plus the 84lbs ish in the fuel tank on the cayman gone off the tongue
Old 06-01-2022, 01:12 AM
Need4Speedster
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 39 Posts

Stop at a gas station!
Old 06-01-2022, 12:52 PM
ramans
Racer

Originally Posted by Need4Speedster
Stop at a gas station!
Not really always an option, likely I could get the trailer in at the station near the Ridge, but going home from Pacific it's a bit before a station I could get a trailer into, and from ORP LIke an hour or so? Unlike the trailex it does look like you could fill the car on the trailer (The trailex blocks the front filler with the tire rack) that tire rack is pretty far forward too so maybe with 4 tyres on it thats 200lbs or so on the front. At the moment I have a 50lb plate on the trailex to make sure I keep enough front weight when the tanks are empty.
Old 01-19-2023, 07:59 PM
Fredman6
Track Day

@gene.will what are the hard mounted tie down points you used on your GT4? I just got a new 718 GT4 and have begun the process of looking for a trailer and tie down methods for it.

Quick Reply: Futura Tandem Axle trailer - anyone used it?