Sponsored by:

BANGIN' GEARS: GT3RS vs SV vs 675 vs ACR vs speciale

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 06:44 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by RSA_27149
^^^ Could you please comment on why Ferrari decided on those wheel/tire specs? Does it have to do with the overall feel that they are going for, as it seems to me that could easily be remedied if their goal is track times? Or does it have to do with not stepping on the toes of other more expensive models?

Interesting to me as I've spent some time with Scuderia...same exact issues...under tired, but way fun to drive.
Yep. They want an exhilarating car to drive as opposed to setting the best time.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:39 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
Wink

We are a very serious bunch when it comes to reviews, they must be done the way we want/approve
Old 07-17-2016, 08:17 AM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Fair enough. But the thrashing the ACR dealt the Lambo SV in these vids does at least raise an eyebrow considering the ACR was 12+ seconds behind the Lambo at the ring.

This is a vid of lambo doing the sub 7 second ring: Aventador LP 750-4 SV Onboard ‪Nürburgring‬ lap in under 7m with P Zero Corsa - YouTube
That Lambo SV driver was on a sucide mission. He is running at the edge. Great driver no doubt.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:46 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by James-GMG
The other issue with the Speciale is that it's hard to put the power down out of the tighter hairpins. We tested the Speciale vs the Huracan vs the RS (both stock setup and modified setup) and I just couldn't put the power down on the 458 SP vs the obvious advantage of the RS out of the hairpins.

The RS had the same top speed as the 458 SP at the end of the long straight as I would gap the Ferrari out of the corner by 5+ mph and the 458 SP barely caught up to it at the end, plus the 458 SP didn't have the braking power of the RS, but we already knew that.... :-)
Very interesting James, thanks for the realtime feedback!

^^^ Could you please comment on why Ferrari decided on those wheel/tire specs? Does it have to do with the overall feel that they are going for, as it seems to me that could easily be remedied if their goal is track times? Or does it have to do with not stepping on the toes of other more expensive models?

Interesting to me as I've spent some time with Scuderia...same exact issues...under tired, but way fun to drive.
This is where my mind went as well. Ferrari can clearly build a platform capable of turning quick laps and that forms the basis for sold international competition. They even seem to be of the mindset "Price it and they will come" so I doubt budgetary restraints are driving this.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:25 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 423 Likes on 251 Posts

Same as the 991R, underlined for driving involvment
Old 07-22-2016, 04:30 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Having driven a 458 speciale and an RS back to back multiple times during same day back in December, at an admittedly small track called AMP in Georgia, I observed the following: 458 was always dancing, and without ultra-smooth throttle and steering inputs, it would plow or oversteer. Specifically there is an downhill then uphill off-camber hairpin right, where I utterly failed to get a smooth turn In the 458.

In the RS on the other hand, the front end was simply magical, masking my ham-fisted driving to a great extent, and the braking points were much much easier to hit consistently. Additionally (unrelated?) the shifting algorithm of the PDK-S was massively more intuitive than the Ferrari transmission which seemed to either always hold a gear too long, or fall out of the very peaky powerband.

Both fantastic cars, but the RS is way more forgiving, the Speciale is set to understeer or make you feel like an idiot if you try to overcompensate with throttle. I'm sure a better driver than I has a better handle on this, but this was my experience. (We also lapped with a 918 which was more like a video game than a car.. Different league in many ways but less enjoyable.. RS was my favorite hands down)
Attached Images   
Old 07-23-2016, 03:33 PM
991gtR
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ENJOY OR NOT

Quick Reply: BANGIN' GEARS: GT3RS vs SV vs 675 vs ACR vs speciale