Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unobtainium x 2 at Goodwood FOS

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 11:53 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder. That said, some designs are beautiful to more eyes than others.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:36 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Is it wrong I feel the same way?
NO, it's not, I feel the same way. Now, I must admit if one fell on my lap, I wouldn't throw it out.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:00 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
NO, it's not, I feel the same way. Now, I must admit if one fell on my lap, I wouldn't throw it out.
Bronson,you must be ecstatic with Italy's performance! Well done!
The biggest shock was England-Iceland. That is absolutely amazing for the country with amateur players that have day jobs and 350K population!!!
Old 06-27-2016, 09:21 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Bronson,you must be ecstatic with Italy's performance! Well done!
The biggest shock was England-Iceland. That is absolutely amazing for the country with amateur players that have day jobs and 350K population!!!
I'm so ecstatic that I'm watching the game again right now. Have an English fella who works for me that is simply ready to.... well I'd rather not say. England clearly did not play well enough. Rooney was awful, most of the free kicks were pathetic. Now it's off to another match vs Germany.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:31 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Singer proves that different people see and want different things in their cars.

For me they have lost the original Porsche character and DNA and are an "English tourer" with a big engine.

If you enjoy picnics in the county side and bird watching, cruising the country lanes so you don't shake the wine too much cannot think of a more perfect ride.

I rather be blasting the county lanes in a lightweight car, with its smells, rattles, shakes and noise.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:46 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
991R is basically an GT3 without a wing....total MEH. NO AERO = NO CARE!
+1
Old 06-28-2016, 01:15 AM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I apologize but I cannot see it. In any case, enjoy.
I feel with the RUF unveiling earlier this year with all the different models as a whole really captured the many ins and outs of the road going 911s through the years.

I like the Singer but I would never buy one. If I could I would rather go to MOAL and have a one off 964/993 Amalgamation with Mr Linton's 4 Valva NA Engine. Besides with the placement of the fuel cap reminds me of a big fat zit on a teenager's nose. I would much rather go with the flush mounted and painted motorcycle gas cap like Kindig-It designs does with most of his builds.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:32 AM
Marvinta
Pro

Originally Posted by m42racer
Singer proves that different people see and want different things in their cars.

For me they have lost the original Porsche character and DNA and are an "English tourer" with a big engine.

If you enjoy picnics in the county side and bird watching, cruising the country lanes so you don't shake the wine too much cannot think of a more perfect ride.

I rather be blasting the county lanes in a lightweight car, with its smells, rattles, shakes and noise.
You've never driven one.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:45 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

singers are exquisite pieces of craftsmanship and superlative effort in striving for perfection as seen by one air cooled 911 customizer/fanatic - whether they are worth the cost is another issue

but if you don't appreciate what things of beauty they are, as an expression of what the essence of a 911 is to see, feel and drive, then i must say i think you are either in denial or just choosing not to see the obvious... just my opinion of course
Old 06-28-2016, 09:47 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

I wonder what kind of "bird watching and picnics" they had when Road and Track tested the Singer

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...ned-by-singer/
Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2016, 12:43 PM
charles06
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
And, yes, I have seen Singers. As to weight reduction, of course, they have certain carbon fiber body panels but that is more about cost than weight and, other than those panels, I see very little real weight reduction engineering (taking things out is not engineering, it is removal). Finally, I am concerned about safety of Singers. Have any crash tests been performed? Were the airbags in the 964s replaced by Singer? If one of the wealthy people buying a Singer has an accident will their insurer cover them as the air bags seem to have been removed and not replaced? Further, and as you point out, as so many parts have been replaced from the original 964s, has the crash integrity of the vehicle been altered? I do not dislike Singer, I only look behind the curtain.
Couldn't the same be said about an Ariel Atom, Pro Street Camaro, luxury pre-runner truck, etc.? I don't know that I'd buy a Singer if I was actually in the position to do so, but I DO appreciate the quality of work and attention to detail.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:54 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marvinta
You've never driven one.
Exactly to my point. If its a driving experience you want, then a 2700 lb car with 390 HP is not for me. I rather have a 2200 lb car with 390 HP. A lighter car changes direction quicker, accelerates quicker and stops quicker. That is more fun to ME. I like chocolate, some like vanilla.

I can do without all of the fancy stuff, when I'm looking out through the windscreen going through a corner quickly. I don't see all of the fancy trim then, and my fun meter is about the driving experience not what I'm sitting on and surrounded by.

Not for all, and some want and appreciate the interior trim over the performance.

Choice is a wonderful thing.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:35 PM
The New 911
Pro

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
singers are exquisite pieces of craftsmanship and superlative effort in striving for perfection as seen by one air cooled 911 customizer/fanatic - whether they are worth the cost is another issue

but if you don't appreciate what things of beauty they are, as an expression of what the essence of a 911 is to see, feel and drive, then i must say i think you are either in denial or just choosing not to see the obvious... just my opinion of course
As per the discussion goes... I do understand the Singer is a Superlative undertaking of Craftsmanship and as Stated is always a Five Star execution in Quality, Assembly and Materials. From the perspective of Mr Singer, it truly is a 'Love Letter' written to the 911 as James May, former BBC TopGear Presentor put it.

If someone gave me one I would keep it, that's never going to happen yet I wonder how much longer Singer will keep making this version and move on to a remodel or something else?
Old 06-28-2016, 02:46 PM
Marvinta
Pro

Exactly to my point. If its a driving experience you want, then a 2700 lb car with 390 HP is not for me. I rather have a 2200 lb car with 390 HP. A lighter car changes direction quicker, accelerates quicker and stops quicker. That is more fun to ME. I like chocolate, some like vanilla.

I can do without all of the fancy stuff, when I'm looking out through the windscreen going through a corner quickly. I don't see all of the fancy trim then, and my fun meter is about the driving experience not what I'm sitting on and surrounded by.

Not for all, and some want and appreciate the interior trim over the performance.

Choice is a wonderful thing.
Nice try. Saying a Singer is Vanilla and all about the interior is laughable.

Last edited by Marvinta; 06-29-2016 at 01:43 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:33 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 386 Posts

For those of you who are unsure about the Singer, I suggest you watch this.

This is not some anodyne car that is all about show. Rather, it's all about go, mixed with giant dose lust and emotion.

As Dickie Meaden says, "If I had to choose one car to own and drive until the day I die, it would be this".

Quick Reply: Unobtainium x 2 at Goodwood FOS