GT3 RS Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 07:21 PM
FLGT
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by lumber
I love Mac 650s.
But if you're going to actually put miles on the car, you'll get destroyed when you get rid of it.
Very co$tly to run outside of warranty, compared to pcar.

You can get an rs, drive the **** out of it, and get most of your $ back.
New Macs definitely depreciate much more than Porsches in my experience. I think a lightly used one will be far less painful in that regard, as will already have taken a big hit off msrp (maybe $100k if a 650S, unknown on 675s). I know of at least one 650 coupe that was asking $190ish with under 1000 miles. I definitely would not buy a new one near msrp if depreciation a concern.

Last edited by FLGT; 06-24-2016 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:22 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by 786
if you choose value above all things (as you state) i would put a deposit down on a 991.2 GT3RS at list and build it the way you like rather than purchasing that $300k current black example on impulse.
That. A friend ordered a .2 at MSRP for September delivery. And I understand it'll be available in manual, if desired. Seems to me buying an inflated .1 at this stage wouldn't be the smartest move, but it's only money, right?
Old 06-24-2016, 08:18 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
Wow your friend must have serious connections in order to get a car delivered in September at MSRP that doesn't even exist yet.
We're on the same page on that comment.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:37 PM
MJK-PurpleRS
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** just said it best- " I think the mark-up is there because the car was under priced and is worth it" My RS gets here in August, even tho I'am not paying the current mark-up on the RS, I'am paying 1/2 the current mark-up and happy to do it,and mine will be brand spanken new right off the boat.I'am glad that my other thoughts have been confirmed that the RS is just as good,if not better than whats out there right now. I still cant find an angle that i don't like on the RS,I cant say that for the rest(Lambo.Ferr.Audi)
Old 06-24-2016, 08:45 PM
thegoat
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
Wow your friend must have serious connections in order to get a car delivered in September at MSRP that doesn't even exist yet.
Seriously, or I got major suckered with a '16 .1RS being delivered in February '17!
Old 06-24-2016, 08:54 PM
CHADW
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Spending 300k because you like black you should at least consider a 488 coupe.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:46 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,373 Likes on 635 Posts

It's all about what type of experience you want.

If you want to drive on the track that rules out a few cars.

If you plan to get rid of the car then only the residual and mileage allowances matter- at that point you're just buying a payment.

Fwiw the most exotic cars are costly because they have more exotic technology- like 8400rpm v8 turbos, 9k rpm NA engines, carbon chassis, hydraulic suspensions etc.

The cheaper "supercars" are that price because they are less rare and older tech in some way.

The 650S and 991TT are very comparable in regards to cost of ownership and depreciation. If you buy a brand new 991TT cab for 225k you won't get the ROI when selling compared to a GT3RS.

The reason why people get things besides a GT3RS- (mclaren, lambo)

To be different
More horsepower
Custom options
Dealer dicked them over
Don't want to pay over msrp

The reasons people get ferraris

They sound good.
I don't know.

The reasons people enjoy whatever cars they own:

The drive them, bonus for tracking.
Instead of complaining about depreciation on RL, they work harder or take investment risks to try and make more cash to take the bull by the horns.

For me, the 675LT is an awesome car- the best. $400k not everyone can afford. So- a lease on a 650S, or buying a slightly used 650S, a 991GT3RS, or a used 997RS are the best bets. I'm not into the huracans or R8 for the same price and same depreciation schedule.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:50 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 413 Likes on 214 Posts

Keep what you have. Get on list for 991.2 RS
Old 06-24-2016, 11:41 PM
FLGT
Pro

Just listen to CJ. Great comments and well thought out advice. I particularly like this....

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

The reasons people enjoy whatever cars they own:

The drive them, bonus for tracking.
Instead of complaining about depreciation on RL, they work harder or take investment risks to try and make more cash to take the bull by the horns.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:44 PM
FLGT
Pro

Originally Posted by elp_jc
That. A friend ordered a .2 at MSRP for September delivery.
No disrespect intended, but I think your friend might be based in Colorado....
Old 06-24-2016, 11:56 PM
PTSRS
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FLGT
No disrespect intended, but I think your friend might be based in Colorado....
LOL
Old 06-25-2016, 12:43 AM
cwcsvt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the input guys.. Everyone made some darn good points and enjoyed the Rennlister banter... As much as I've considered an Italian brand.... I am a die hard Ford and Porsche guy... The only thing beyond the RS would be the 918 and well, I would need to be a little further along to consider dumping that kind of coin. I am still awaiting hearing if I can get a new GT as well, but my heart is set on a black RS. So many good points and all of them were very helpful, and some even comedic! Keep up the great work! As much as I hate the price drops on the Turbo S, damn they are great cars....
Old 06-25-2016, 12:57 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Many are assuming there will be a GT3RS .2

Many are assuming it will be NA.

Personnally, I wouldn't pay $50k over other RSs for any color but that's me. The RS looks stunning in all the colors.

I agree that the RS was underpriced for what it delivers. Chris Harris remarked it punches way above it's weight and recently commented the RS is the best street/track car of all time. Pretty heady praise from one of the most respected auto journalists.

If you can get on a list for a GT2RS at LIST that would be my play. I am in fact on a list at list. If not I would look for an GT3RS as close to list as possible. There are some nice RSs I think you can buy around $250k. You will love it regardless of color. Your down side is minimized and if there is no GT3RS .2 or if it's not NA you could see the .1 RS rise in value.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:15 AM
cwcsvt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Many are assuming there will be a GT3RS .2 Many are assuming it will be NA. Personnally, I wouldn't pay $50k over others for any color but that's me. The RS looks stunning in all the colors. I agree that the RS was underpriced for what it delivers. Chris Harris remarked it punches way above it's weight and recently commented tibias the best street/track car of all time. Pretty heady praise from one of the most respected auto journalists. If you can get on a list for a GT2RS at LIST that would be my play. I am in fact on a list at list. If not I would look for an GT3RS as close to list as possible. There are some nice RSs I think you can buy around $250k. You will love it regardless of color. Your down side is minimized and if there is no GT3RS .2 or if it's not NA you could see the .1 RS rise in value.
You make some VERY good points and I would rather have a GT2RS..... Now that would be THE car.... Thank you sir, very good points..
Old 06-26-2016, 09:02 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by cwcsvt
I wonder if you folks wouldn't mind chiming in on any compelling arguments in either pulling the trigger or just waiting until they come out with next generation and spare myself the ridiculous mark up they are currently asking.
What makes you think it'll be any different with 991.2 RS? Best to jump in now. Life is short.

Quick Reply: GT3 RS Purchase