991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911R - A Legend Is Born

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 03:16 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Manifold
The R strikes me as a way for Porsche to make a nice quick profit by doing some parts bin work and changing some software.

For people who want a brand new manual 911 which is meant for the road rather than the track (but is still plenty fast), the base 991.2 Carrera comes to mind. You can get one without begging, costs half as much as the R, and decals can be added.
Originally Posted by Whoopsy
I have one coming, but

I still think the R is parts bin special. There is nothing special about it. The only thing special is that it is a beta car for Porsche to test out parts.

The manual does nothing for me, it's just another chore that stands in the way of driving and enjoying a car. Porsche might as well put back in carburetors for the engine if they keep doing manual, the dinosaurs that likes manual would LOVE tuning carburetors.

There is nothing the R can do that an RS cannot do better, way better. Hell, even a GT3 can do better than the R.

It's a limited version simply because Porsche doesn't want to **** off more than 1000 customers with their beta car, especially when most are 918 owners who don't mind missing a car for 3 weeks or 3 months when they have 10 other cars to drive.

The main draw was the manual transmission, and everyone and their aunties can have one by ordering the next GT3. The R is just the testing platform for the transmission.

IF only Porsche would make the R a convertible or with back seats.........
I couldn't agree more

and let s be honest the R is
technologically
nothing more than an RS
with a Base Carrera (poor and heavy) manual gearbox
ironically already tested in pre- production 991.1 GT3 which at the end opted for PDK S

and Porsche is (should be) all about technical avangarde
not Audi' decals marketing...

OP change the thread title to

991 chassis - Another Porsche legend was born
whilst 991 R is just a marketing exercise...
Old 06-10-2016, 03:41 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Whoopsy (I wish I could address you by name), I have read what you wrote several times over and while I would never deny you or anyone else the right to an opinion, why the heck are you getting something you think so little of?
Old 06-10-2016, 04:01 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

P. S. "Look" is a very personal thing. I very much like how GT3 and GT3RS look, but I like the subtlety of the R even more. This is not to say that one is better than another, it is just a preference and my long term like and respect for my favorite of all Porsches, the 1967 R.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:05 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NYCone
I think this is a critical point.

The real classics don't have numbered plates on them. The numbered car is a marketing ploy to give the owner a false sense of exclusivity.
The term "classic" is arbitrary in my opinion. To most it simply means a car is old or out of production and some people collect them. Eventually all cars will fall in that category.

The beauty and legend of this 911R is the revival of the three pedals and a stick mated to the latest 4.0 engine. The biggest feature of this car if I were to summarize it is the "Fun Factor", as others would put it "Driver Engagement." I am still in firm belief the the 991 GT3RS 4.0 is the reigning "King of the Track", the affordable one as opposed to the 918 Spyder.

The 997.2 GT3RS 4.0 is the first "Numbered" Porsche car that I recall in recent history (600 copies). Followed by the 918 Spyder (918 copies), and now the 911R (991 copies). No doubt the 911R is nothing original, but the composition of many great qualities put into one (a.k.a. parts bin), coupled by a "numbered" production literal truly makes this 911R legendary in its own right.

Sad to say only 991 special owners are privileged to own this future if not instant classic.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Last edited by GT3RS-Fan1; 06-10-2016 at 04:20 AM. Reason: typo correction
Old 06-10-2016, 04:13 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
P. S. "Look" is a very personal thing. I very much like how GT3 and GT3RS look, but I like the subtlety of the R even more. This is not to say that one is better than another, it is just a preference and my long term like and respect for my favorite of all Porsches, the 1967 R.

Let s say calling the R a legend might be exaggerated

it might be a legend only coupled with your weight saving kit + a lightweight manual gearbox (only something special from I. e. Ricardo custom made)

so far the R is just decals and Base Carrera gearbox...
Old 06-10-2016, 04:27 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 561 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by gmgracing
I am a sucker for houndstooth seats, therefore I am a fan. The fact there is a new Porsche attached is icing on the cake.
It's possible to order the car with another kind of cloth, or leather.
Well, at least, it is possible for the PTS cars

And no, I'm not in position to order such a car, but I know someone who is
Old 06-10-2016, 04:38 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 561 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by NYCone
I think this is a critical point.

The real classics don't have numbered plates on them. The numbered car is a marketing ploy to give the owner a false sense of exclusivity.
The definition of classic is quite personnal. For me, this means this car is a benchmark, so all others of the same category are compared to it.

And I personnally dislike the numbered edition trick, especially when you have only the choice between one or two colors external colors and few options.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:15 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
The R has hit the sweet spot for some for sure. The "niggly" issues you mentioned allocation etc. are actually a very big deal for many of us. Time will tell if it ends up in great pantheon of rare and original Porsche designs. Personally, I am a one car guy simply out of monetary restrictions! That said, I would never put this car in front of most any RS version regardless of year. Just me. As a second car? for sure. As many of us have said, the key to this car is the exclusivity not necessarily the originality of it's design. Glad you dig it though!
Totally agree with this! It will absolutely be a fun car, but Porsche is making it out to be as if it is a landmark vehicle, when truth is, it is far from. I would love one, but it's just not special enough to be given the exclusivity that it has been given. I'm sure the engine is wonderful, I'm sure rowing through the gears will be fantastic, but it's really just a well sorted super fun canyon car. Nothing more, nothing less.
Originally Posted by manouk
Just got a gt3rs to replace a gt2rs. No way I'd replace the r for any gt
Why on earth would you replace a GT2RS?! Only 500 made, appreciating like wildfire now that they're finally getting the respect they deserve and beautiful history with Jeff Zwart having won Pikes Peak and setting a record in doing so with one that almost completely stock.
The R was conceived for a purpose very different from that of the RS.
Here's the problem for me with the new R. The original is a legend! It deserves every ounce of weight that the word Legend carries. This is because the 67 & 68 R's were purpose built to compete in motorsport! They were not salacious cars trying to simply part one's money from their wallet by trying to conjure up a faux connection to the historical importance. The new one is basically everything that the original one wasn't! The new one has no motorsport roots of any kind. The true "R" is the GT3R race car. The street R should have been called something else. Perhaps the 911T for Touring? Afterall, that is what this car is for isn't it? Touring, through the canyons and countrysides? It will be fantastic for that. But it is NOT an R and in my opinion, just dilutes the namesake. Now, my only hope for a true "R" street legal car would be for them to come out with a 911-ST since they soiled the usage of the "R" moniker.
Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
The term "classic" is arbitrary in my opinion. To most it simply means a car is old or out of production and some people collect them. Eventually all cars will fall in that category.

The beauty and legend of this 911R is the revival of the three pedals and a stick mated to the latest 4.0 engine. The biggest feature of this car if I were to summarize it is the "Fun Factor", as others would put it "Driver Engagement." I am still in firm belief the the 991 GT3RS 4.0 is the reigning "King of the Track", the affordable one as opposed to the 918 Spyder.

The 997.2 GT3RS 4.0 is the first "Numbered" Porsche car that I recall in recent history (600 copies). Followed by the 918 Spyder (918 copies), and now the 911R (991 copies). No doubt the 911R is nothing original, but the composition of many great qualities put into one (a.k.a. parts bin), coupled by a "numbered" production literal truly makes this 911R legendary in its own right.

Sad to say only 991 special owners are privileged to own this future if not instant classic.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
The 997.2GT3RS 4.0 isn't the first numbered series car from Porsche. Heck, it wasn't even the first numbered 997.2. That distinction goes to the 997.2 GT2RS. Yes, they were technically the same model year, but the GT2RS came out considerably earlier than the RS 4.0. But, Porsche has done a few numbered series vehicles, including the 2000 911 Millennium Edition of which there were only 911 made. I know there was only 408, 911 Weissach Editions made, but I don't think they were individually numbered ???/408. I think they just simply made 408 of them, so you would have to look at the VIN's to figure out which number of the 408 built you have. I feel like there's also another special edition numbered car that I'm missing, but it's escaping me right now.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:28 AM
manouk
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Why on earth would you replace a GT2RS?! Only 500 made, appreciating like wildfire now that they're finally getting the respect they deserve and beautiful history with Jeff Zwart having won Pikes Peak and setting a record in doing so with one that almost completely stock.
Unfortunately can only afford 1 gt car at a time and not a collector try to drive my cars had almost 19k on gt2. For now happy with decision. Gt3 looks better imo and sounds way better. The 2 was great also just different. Maybe one day will have both but with 2 kids trying to keep one is a gift.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:12 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,502 Likes on 2,561 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
I agree completely with you Robert. This car touches a nerve in me as well. This is what the 'regular' Carrera should be after 50 yrs of development...and it should be available to everyone. The regular Carreras are looking pretty anemic these days compared with the competition.
Jim
Here are some quotes from the review of the 991.2 base Carrera by Pete Stout in Panorama:

"The Carrera is unexpectedly sharp yet confidence-inspiring, one of those rare cars that doesn't bite but is still fun and deeply rewarding to extend. That puts it up there with some of the best Porsches of the last 20 years. Think 987 Boxster Spyder, 997 Carrera GTS, and 991 GT3 - but more compliant than any of them. Those who buy on badge might miss this 911's brilliance."

"The 991 platform's biggest downfall is its size, and any version other than the standard Carrera adds width or weight - or both. We'd think long and hard before adding PDK or rear steer to a Carrera S, but we'd also think long and hard about buying an S over a Carrera. Time with a Carrera on its standard 19-inch wheels is limited, but the takeaways are predictable: They offer a slightly softer ride with slightly more playful handling."

"... Carrera is not only this tester's favorite 991 for the road, it's the most complete Carrera to date. It's perfect for daily use, and more than enough car for an occasional track day. Yes, you can buy more 911 - but you don't need to. Just be sure to tick the box for Sport Exhaust."

Seems that the manual 911 many people want for the road already exists, but it's a lowly 'base' car which doesn't cost enough, lacks exclusivity and bragging rights, and lacks a false historical connection conjured up by people preying on our lust for Porsche and our nostalgia.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:54 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
The R strikes me as a way for Porsche to make a nice quick profit by doing some parts bin work and changing some software.

For people who want a brand new manual 911 which is meant for the road rather than the track (but is still plenty fast), the base 991.2 Carrera comes to mind. You can get one without begging, costs half as much as the R, and decals can be added.

Turbo vs naturally aspirated 4.0? Please. Not even in the discussion.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:55 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

While I don't profess expertise in picking or determining what cars will be classics my experience has pointed me in the direction of some common factors.

1. Universially desired when new.
2. Universially lauded by motorIng journalists.
3. Built in limited numbers.
4. Roots and a real connection to motor sport competition and success.

Not convinced the new R has all these factors. To me and many others it's "meh". But for the 3rd pedal which some "have" to have it's more of a sticker and decal package IMHO with a cloth interior.

Conversely, I can't think of one RS that doesn't satisfy all factors.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:33 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,502 Likes on 2,561 Posts

Originally Posted by zirrah
Turbo vs naturally aspirated 4.0? Please. Not even in the discussion.
Latest generation 991 isn't your father's turbo. I haven't driven one myself, but reports consistently indicate no noticeable lag, redline still fairly high, good low and medium rev torque, continues pulling strong all the way to redline, and sounds good. Base 991.2 Carrera 0-60 times from Porsche are 4.4 s with manual and 4.0 s with PDK. So unless you have prejudice against turbo, the comparison is valid.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:24 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There is something about the R that I find wonderful -- and this has nothing to do with its future status or financial worth. Of course, like most any car, it would be nice to take a few hundred pounds off.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:44 AM
Dante
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 37 Posts

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There is something about the R that I find wonderful -- and this has nothing to do with its future status or financial worth. Of course, like most any car, it would be nice to take a few hundred pounds off.
I agree
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 911R - A Legend Is Born