911R - A Legend Is Born

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 04:21 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,373 Likes on 635 Posts

Another note- the original 911R and period 60's Porsche cars in general were used a lot for over-road rallies and other races such as Tour de France, Mille Miglia, Targa Florio, Rally Monte Carlo etc.

The current 911R would be an amazing "road rally touring car" similar to the original...if only we still had those classic style races to use this car-

What other stock production car would be a better tool for a 1000KM blast over roads than a lightweight 500HP 911? And I am not talking about gumball or some douchey thing but a real professional road rally stage. Something with room to put some tools and luggage and something that can be pushed HARD for the whole race (on possibly terrible roads) What better than a Porsche 911R?

This spirit is really what the car is about. Some people get it, some will not and that is fine. Personally that is why I want to Euro Deliver the car- to experience some of that unrestricted speed with a codriver (wife in my case) while we rip through the alps or northern italian tunnels etc.

All the events that still take place like Tour Optik etc are only for vintage cars as far as I know.

Maybe one day we could change that.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:04 AM
DJM48
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi CJ

Come Down Under and have a look. I think you'll find what you are looking for.

The second link confirms Porsche have done very well over the years in this event. Mixture of GT and Turbo winners. Modern AWDs have dominated recent events.

https://targa.com.au/tc/page_standar...asset_id=19237

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Targa_Tasmania

Not sure if Eric Bana's movie Love the Beast got traction in the US - definitely worth a look for the diehard petrolhead. Follows his entry in Targa Tasmania.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1284028/
Old 06-11-2016, 08:16 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,502 Likes on 2,561 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I'm still struggling to see why this is such a polarizing subject.
Some people are so captivated with what Porsche markets the car to be that they start threads with titles like 'a legend is born'.

Others feel that Porsche is overhyping the car with marketing; that the R is nothing more than a mashup of the GT3 and RS with less aero, a manual, aesthetic bits, and tuning which it makes more lively on the road at the expense of being less capable on track; and that you have to go back one or more generations to find Porsche's 'purer' driver's cars, the likes of which will never be made again. Pricing the car so high and limiting access to it so sharply just adds salt to the wound.

I'm in the latter camp, but I'm not saying it's not a good car. I don't doubt that it's very good, and that I could enjoy driving one. I just don't think it's all it's cracked up to be. And as I've said a few times, if I was looking for a new Porsche for this purpose, I'd take a serious look at the base 991.2 Carrera with manual, and I find it odd that the Carrera generates so little interest among people who lust after the R.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:19 AM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 911 R

About a year ago and prior to any credible public information regarding the 911R I asked my salesman (at one of the largest dealerships) if they could even sell a manual transmission, no sunroof 911 with limited options. They laughed. In fact, they had a white base Carrera, MT, No roof. It sat at the dealership for months. There was no list and was one of the last 991.1s' sold.

What Porsche has done with the 911R is re-open a discussion regarding sports cars and driver involvement at real world everyday speeds and use. I test drove that base Carrera. It wasn't fast by today's standards but it was fun. And that's the point. Most of us are not making a living driving a race car. This is about fun.

The 991 RS is the most capable car Porsche has ever offered for public roads. And there is no equal on the track. But a lot of enthusiasts would "ewe and ah" over a 964 RS at C&C. There's no comparing a 964 RS with 991 RS track times. But something gained by modern machinery is also something lost.

The purity, feel and "visceralness" of a 964 RS is engaging and fun. It's what has been lost with all the incredible modern technology. The new 911 R is the modern equivalent of that "feel." And it is fast.

But If you can't get one for whatever reason, take a look at a used base MT 991.1 or even a base 991.2 Carrera. For me, it's not so much about lap times but about having fun.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:46 AM
maximus136
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

WELL SAID!!!!!
Old 06-11-2016, 10:31 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by DJM48
Hi CJ

Come Down Under and have a look. I think you'll find what you are looking for.

The second link confirms Porsche have done very well over the years in this event. Mixture of GT and Turbo winners. Modern AWDs have dominated recent events.

https://targa.com.au/tc/page_standar...asset_id=19237

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Targa_Tasmania

Not sure if Eric Bana's movie Love the Beast got traction in the US - definitely worth a look for the diehard petrolhead. Follows his entry in Targa Tasmania.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1284028/
and, www.targanewfoundland.com in canada
Old 06-11-2016, 10:39 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
I have one coming, but

I still think the R is parts bin special. There is nothing special about it. The only thing special is that it is a beta car for Porsche to test out parts.

The manual does nothing for me, it's just another chore that stands in the way of driving and enjoying a car. Porsche might as well put back in carburetors for the engine if they keep doing manual, the dinosaurs that likes manual would LOVE tuning carburetors.

There is nothing the R can do that an RS cannot do better, way better. Hell, even a GT3 can do better than the R.

It's a limited version simply because Porsche doesn't want to **** off more than 1000 customers with their beta car, especially when most are 918 owners who don't mind missing a car for 3 weeks or 3 months when they have 10 other cars to drive.

The main draw was the manual transmission, and everyone and their aunties can have one by ordering the next GT3. The R is just the testing platform for the transmission.

IF only Porsche would make the R a convertible or with back seats.........
I am not sure why so many folks get bent out of shape over this.
There is alot of truth to it, and for a R owner to admit that is being boldly upfront and honest. He is by no means feeding us cool-aid.

I like that about Whoopsy's posts.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:39 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm still struggling to see why this is such a polarizing subject.

1) life is a series of decisions, trials and tests
2) not every "thing" is for everybody
3) don't hate on someone for their success or their means to acquire things- they're just things and use it as an example of how to do the same.

Sample- my friend has a mclaren F1 and a 962. I am happy for him and in turn he lets me ask him a million questions and sit and take selfies in his car. He is happy for me to experience it.

Of course I want to drive them or own them but they are simply my carrot to find new ways to succeed. He worked hard, cars are his thing. That being said he is older and has been driving and buying longer so he got stuff when it was cheaper. Hopefully my CGT will be revered one day like those cars and people will gawk in 15 years when I show up in it with 30k+ miles on it.

So- how does that apply here?

Well- if you are uninterested in the 911R, move along not for you, enjoy a Gt3 or RS (this is the forum for those cars btw)

If you are interested in a 911R and you didn't get one, be nice to the people that are getting them and maybe someone will let you go for a ride, drive, or sit and check it out.

Cars have 2+ seats for a reason, they are for sharing. Don't be a jerk to people online or you will never get invited to share things.
Good morning,

Outstandingly articulated. Kudos to you C.J. Ichiban. You truly deserve to have one of this highly coveted 911R. To those who can own one, congratulations in advance. I truly admire the 911R and respect the viewpoints of all others.

I also know people who have highly collectable cars, and they serve to me an inspiration to acquire unique and well engineered cars as such.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Old 06-11-2016, 11:52 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

Cars have 2+ seats for a reason, they are for sharing.
The best single line I've seen on Rennlist for a very long time.

The whole sentiment of that post is spot on, too. Especially that bit about a 30,000-mile CGT...
Old 06-11-2016, 11:53 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by 786
Lol, what a ridiculous post. Sad its guys like these who end up with one and the people who'd really appreciate it sit on the sidelines.
You were being somewhat harsh for little reason. Its just a car. He didn't say he disliked it. My read was he didn't see it as "being a legend" but as a "special" issue Porsche was going to give it a go anyway.

While the R doesn't excite me as it does some and don't think it will be a "legend" (but could be wrong) I still think its a special car and would love to own one if I had the chance....whick I do not.

I was going to make the same offer 96LT4 did but he beat me to it. Always a day late and dollar short.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:03 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Of course I want to drive them or own them but they are simply my carrot to find new ways to succeed....
Uh, CJ, look around. I think you already hit that mile marker.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:06 PM
Pro

Received 170 Likes on 86 Posts

Not bad. Did I hit a nerve? Oops. Sorry, did't mean to out you as a entitled one. But I guess you just confirmed that. If only you have this drive to work hard like you are trying to do now and be a internet keyboard warrior.

I never said I lost trust in Porsche making good on the 911R, I guess you can't read either, so maybe you should brush up on reading comprehension too btw. I said It does nothing for me, not much interested.
Not at all, normally I can't be bothered to out those of your ilk, but this was too easy. If you want to verbally spar with me in the future I'd suggest you take an ESL course.

I can read quite well, hence why I was able to so easily pick apart your 'argument.' I don't really care what you think of the 911R, but when you make a post bashing a car that it sounds like you've not even received yet, it makes people roll their eyes. You're not Chris Harris, people tend to take the comments of random dudes on the Internet with a grain of salt.

You don't know what's engaging to drive a car until you get to drive a Cup car at full throttle around a circuit, THAT'S engaging. Nothing else come close. Not even driving a 918 around a circuit. Or driving a manual for that matters. But I might change my mind if I can get my hands on a 919.........................

In any case, think of me as whatever you like, if it makes you feel better and sleep soundly. Many here have met me in person and know me. I won't lose sleep over what you say of me. I might however for another reason. Porsche is sending me off to Le Mans next week
Of course race cars are more engaging than road cars, a TAG kart is more engaging than most road cars. That's not what we're discussing though is it, this thread is about the 911R so Cup cars etc are irrelevant to the conversation.

I don't think of you at all actually Whoopy, all the best in your future endeavors but word of advice, think twice before trying to call out people on the Internet or make assumptions about their work ethic etc. It's quite crass.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:59 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Here's the problem for me with the new R. The original is a legend! It deserves every ounce of weight that the word Legend carries. This is because the 67 & 68 R's were purpose built to compete in motorsport!...The new one has no motorsport roots of any kind. The true "R" is the GT3R race car...

++1. Due to the new 911R's lack of racing purpose, I think that it is not close at all to being the legend the original 911R is.

What I find legendary is Porsche's brilliant marketing and product planning as the new 911R is a sales success. I certainly refer to Porsche's commercial successes as case studies for my business ventures.

Nonetheless, congrats to would-be 911R owners! The highest spec engine with lightest spec weight is a great starting point for fun.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:03 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Can we all get along We are all here for same reason. Passion for cars and it hurts to see one attacking another enthusiast. Whoopsy was being completly honest and I appreciate that. I have purchased stuff I wasn't sure I would like and made up my mind later. Enjoy your weekend with your bad *** cars and lets not get personal.

Cheers
Old 06-11-2016, 01:18 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

People, I apoogize, I started this thread because I honestly felt inspired by a car which has not happened in quite a long time, i.e., since 964 RS and 3.8RS and the original Turbo and R before that. I did not mean it to be a forum for personal jousting and hard, bad feelings. Fact is we spend a large part of our lifes' getting somewhere (be it great scientist, engineer, business person, soldier, doctor, or, perhaps, most important, teacher, etc.) and the other part of our lifes' accumulating inventory which must be disposed of when we are gone. Becoming vitriolic about a car, an inanimate object, just isn't worth it.

Quick Reply: 911R - A Legend Is Born