Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911R - A Legend Is Born

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 10:47 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

It all depends on what you like. Remember, however, that the 1967 R's hardly stood out from the rest.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:09 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 528 Posts

I have one coming, but

I still think the R is parts bin special. There is nothing special about it. The only thing special is that it is a beta car for Porsche to test out parts.

The manual does nothing for me, it's just another chore that stands in the way of driving and enjoying a car. Porsche might as well put back in carburetors for the engine if they keep doing manual, the dinosaurs that likes manual would LOVE tuning carburetors.

There is nothing the R can do that an RS cannot do better, way better. Hell, even a GT3 can do better than the R.

It's a limited version simply because Porsche doesn't want to **** off more than 1000 customers with their beta car, especially when most are 918 owners who don't mind missing a car for 3 weeks or 3 months when they have 10 other cars to drive.

The main draw was the manual transmission, and everyone and their aunties can have one by ordering the next GT3. The R is just the testing platform for the transmission.

IF only Porsche would make the R a convertible or with back seats.........
Old 06-09-2016, 11:20 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

It's disappointing to read an opinion stating that " driving a manual is a chore ". Especially coming from someone's opinion that you value. But in the end it's just an opinion...
There are so many choices that don't have a manual transmission. Most new sport cars,for that matter... Why buy it if it's a chore? Let other enthusiasts enjoy it...
Carburetors,crank start,manual windows,ignition advance? I've heard them all... Apple Watch? Mechanical timepiece perhaps?
Too many are missing the point...just saying...
Old 06-09-2016, 11:47 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,502 Likes on 2,561 Posts

The R strikes me as a way for Porsche to make a nice quick profit by doing some parts bin work and changing some software.

For people who want a brand new manual 911 which is meant for the road rather than the track (but is still plenty fast), the base 991.2 Carrera comes to mind. You can get one without begging, costs half as much as the R, and decals can be added.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:49 PM
ablee2323
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate this thread. I think the R is special. That said, I think Porsches in general are special and just thinking about the fact I own one gives me pure joy and a shot of gratitude - every time I look at my key fob.

We have different tastes and preferences. Financial boundaries. But we all share the passion for automobile excellence. Where else can I post a wheel pic and share the fact that I'm mesmerized by the rims, ceramic brakes and calipers?

And such things make life interesting.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:51 PM
Reza
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
The manual does nothing for me, it's just another chore that stands in the way of driving and enjoying a car.
I understand your points - but I think the whole thing for many people is that the manual is one of the joys of driving a car.

Its the very thing that gives the enjoyment, in conjunction with a high revving engine, a finely balanced chassis. The idea that a car is a sum of its parts, that's what this car is about.

I am yet to see one in the flesh as yet, but i'm imagining that it will look absolutely stunning in person (coming from someone who is an RS big wing kinda guy).
Old 06-09-2016, 11:54 PM
Reza
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
The R strikes me as a way for Porsche to make a nice quick profit by doing some parts bin work and changing some software.

For people who want a brand new manual 911 which is meant for the road rather than the track (but is still plenty fast), the base 991.2 Carrera comes to mind. You can get one without begging, costs half as much as the R, and decals can be added.
A nice quick way to make profit would be to make more Macans and Cayennes that are pretty much sold out in most developed countries. (I know they are here in Australia).

These "special" cars are what keeps people involved and loving and dreaming of a porsche. (great marketing). By no means is the 911 R a mega mega profit making machine in its own right
Old 06-10-2016, 12:00 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,502 Likes on 2,561 Posts

Originally Posted by Reza
A nice quick way to make profit would be to make more Macans and Cayennes that are pretty much sold out in most developed countries. (I know they are here in Australia).

These "special" cars are what keeps people involved and loving and dreaming of a porsche. (great marketing). By no means is the 911 R a mega mega profit making machine in its own right
I agree, but my point is that the development cost for the R was likely relatively low, whereas they're still able to price it high.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:00 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I have never owned a "numbered" car. Limited production yes. To have the ability to own a 911R, and pair it with the current 991 GT3RS would be really cool.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Old 06-10-2016, 12:38 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

The R is "nice". Doesn't hold a candle to the RS.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:54 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 998 Likes on 433 Posts

Here is an opposite view from Whoopsy. For me, the whole point of the 911R is the manual transmission paired with the 4.0 RS engine. Without the manual transmission, the 911R becomes just another normal 911 in my opinion. Without the manual transmission, the 911R makes no sense in comparison to the GT3RS.

This is definitely the "fun" car in my lineup. It's not about pure speed, but how you get there!
Old 06-10-2016, 01:03 AM
NYCone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
I have never owned a "numbered" car. Limited production yes. To have the ability to own a 911R, and pair it with the current 991 GT3RS would be really cool.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
I think this is a critical point.

The real classics don't have numbered plates on them. The numbered car is a marketing ploy to give the owner a false sense of exclusivity.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:24 AM
loungedog
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have one coming, but

I still think the R is parts bin special. There is nothing special about it. The only thing special is that it is a beta car for Porsche to test out parts.

The manual does nothing for me, it's just another chore that stands in the way of driving and enjoying a car. Porsche might as well put back in carburetors for the engine if they keep doing manual, the dinosaurs that likes manual would LOVE tuning carburetors.

There is nothing the R can do that an RS cannot do better, way better. Hell, even a GT3 can do better than the R.

It's a limited version simply because Porsche doesn't want to **** off more than 1000 customers with their beta car, especially when most are 918 owners who don't mind missing a car for 3 weeks or 3 months when they have 10 other cars to drive.

The main draw was the manual transmission, and everyone and their aunties can have one by ordering the next GT3. The R is just the testing platform for the transmission.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:50 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

I have one coming, but

oh god, haven't laughed so hard in so long.....
i must invite myself up to canada to see your R when it arrives. i shall relieve your chore of driving the manual

cheers!
Old 06-10-2016, 02:40 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
I have been following Porsche since I was a child (yes, I did have one of those Turbo posters) - but never over the past several decades have I felt something, something that is very hard to put into words, as I feel about the R. Yes, there have been some issues relating to allocation and to colors, and, yes, some have criticized it as being only a collection of parts, albeit great parts. But, putting all of that to the side, what has been created is magic, something one rarely sees in any car, and it is not a matter of cost, be it high or low; this car sings, it sings like the Rolling Stones at their best and its design, makes me think of the work of Raymond Loewy. Gosh, I wish I would be allowed to drive, because this R is wonderful.
I agree completely with you Robert. This car touches a nerve in me as well. This is what the 'regular' Carrera should be after 50 yrs of development...and it should be available to everyone. The regular Carreras are looking pretty anemic these days compared with the competition.
Jim

Quick Reply: 911R - A Legend Is Born