Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS: Rubbing front and rear

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 07:40 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 243 Posts

Are the cars experiencing this earlier deliveries? Wonder if this is being fixed now prior to leaving the factory.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:46 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
Are the cars experiencing this earlier deliveries? Wonder if this is being fixed now prior to leaving the factory.
Mine was delivered in October.

I believe that to experience the rubbing you need a hi speed corner with compression. Guess +180kph.

I've done some 200kph corners which has no compression and I have not experienced rubbing there.

I guess hard braking might rub in the front.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:21 AM
Mika911
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I too have the issues when driving at Spa. Left front fender worn through and all round lots of touching. As suggested by Trakcar, setting the rear to full hard and front ARB to middle has reduced this a bit as well as the cording on the rear edges.

I cannot understand how this was not a showstopper before releasing the car to market. It does somewhat diminish your fun on track. Plus the constant warning lights (mostly oil) popping up.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:27 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt
Talked to my dealer now: There is a Service action: 28-16 (Workshop manual/4X00) As I understand it they check the wheel alignment so it is original. Then they replace the liners with new liners that are modified with heat by the Porsche Workshop. The mesh in the fenders are removed. In the rear the fenders are rolled to give more clearance. (FWIW: My dealer did not have the tools for that.)
Removing the mesh seems dicey to me. All it takes is one rock into the radiator.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:34 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mika911
I cannot understand how this was not a showstopper before releasing the car to market. It does somewhat diminish your fun on track. Plus the constant warning lights (mostly oil) popping up.
Agree. FWIW: A friend of mine's RS had very little oil consumption during break in but as he hit the tracks the oil consumption when thru the roof. He's dealer will have a closer look at the problem.
Mine is still pretty normal regarding the oil consumption.

As I wrote in another thread: The TPMS Race can not been used by their test drivers. It totally suck.
The implementation seems to been done by a guy behind a desk.
I think in their search of the perfect, safe system, they forgot that starting to get used to ignore yellow warning lights when driving (track) might end badly. Because that is how TPMS works for me: 80% yellow and 20% OK.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:34 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by sgroer
Removing the mesh seems dicey to me. All it takes is one rock into the radiator.
It is the plastic mesh in the fender, not in the front.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:41 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

It is the plastic mesh in the fender, not in the front.
Well... I should have read more carefully. That makes a difference! What's the mesh in there for?
Old 05-10-2016, 08:48 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by sgroer
That makes a difference! What's the mesh in there for?
There are laws that, at least in some countries, says that the tire is not allowed to be touchable/exposed from certain points. I don't know the exact description but I think AP mentioned this in one of the launch interviews.

I think Porsche says: On street: Mesh Yes, On track: Mesh no.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:53 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 947 Posts

Agree. FWIW: A friend of mine's RS had very little oil consumption during break in but as he hit the tracks the oil consumption when thru the roof.
Rubbing doesn't concern me but continued oil consumption reports are very disconcerting.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:10 AM
Mika911
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Is it correct that to remove the front fenders you need to remove wheel, calliper and sensors? Porsche suggest this to avoid rubbing, but cannot seriously expect people to do this before and after each track session. If there is no issue with debris getting thrown onto the car and windscreen I would just remove mine and drive without. Cannot imagine getting pulled over for that.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:15 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,621 Likes on 752 Posts

My fender liners don't look heated up and molded? Maybe they are...
Porsche did not remove mesh in front a and didn't roll the rear fenders on mine.
The rear fenders build some rubber and rub rubber to rubber but never actually touch metal.

It's the big compression high speed stuff that makes it happen. Tracks here are pretty flat so unless you go to Daytona or Mosport I thing we're fine.

I should remove the mesh. Next oil / pad / tire change I will.

Nizer, mine doesn't use oil on street driving and track use seems to get less and less.
Just break it in properly. I did 2 track days no oil added.

No one in South Florida wants to change the gearbox oil. Never been done ..
Old 05-10-2016, 09:22 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mika911
Is it correct that to remove the front fenders you need to remove wheel, calliper and sensors? Porsche suggest this to avoid rubbing, but cannot seriously expect people to do this before and after each track session. If there is no issue with debris getting thrown onto the car and windscreen I would just remove mine and drive without. Cannot imagine getting pulled over for that.
I think you need to remove the wheel, nothing more, to remove the plastic mesh in the front fenders.

Remember that the rubbing might just be a problem on certain tracks and it requires you to carry certain speed so maybe you don't need to the remove the plastic mesh.

Nevertheless one could consider this bad design.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:24 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
No one in South Florida wants to change the gearbox oil. Never been done ..

Never been done on RS PDK, PDK or any Porsche gearbox?
Old 05-10-2016, 09:49 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Nizer, mine doesn't use oil on street driving and track use seems to get less and less.
Just break it in properly. I did 2 track days no oil added.
Yes, seems to be hit or miss. Hoping mine will be a miss given late build.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:08 PM
markow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree. FWIW: A friend of mine's RS had very little oil consumption during break in but as he hit the tracks the oil consumption when thru the roof. He's dealer will have a closer look at the problem.
Mine is still pretty normal regarding the oil consumption.

As I wrote in another thread: The TPMS Race can not been used by their test drivers. It totally suck.
The implementation seems to been done by a guy behind a desk.
I think in their search of the perfect, safe system, they forgot that starting to get used to ignore yellow warning lights when driving (track) might end badly. Because that is how TPMS works for me: 80% yellow and 20% OK.
my march 2016 built has used 0.75 liters of oil in 750km at break-in revs.
pretty ridiculous, no?
in my F458 italia i never had to top up oil in 29K km.
peter

Quick Reply: RS: Rubbing front and rear