Sponsored by:

DSC Sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 06:25 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
If the DSC can match the PASM settings, and then allow tweaking from there, that would be good. I'd be reluctant to take a 'start from scratch' approach and have to spend a lot of time tuning the shocks, getting confused about cause/effect in the process and possibly chasing adjustments for a long time. I also want to keep the character of the car roughly the same as stock. I do find the GT4 to be a bit softer than the GT3
This is my main concern of systems such as this. I lost a lot of time "prototyping" with my 993. I don't want to do that again with my GT3. I just want to get in it and enjoy laying down solid times on the four or so different tracks I attend annually. However the more of us using and tuning this system the quicker we will iron out any bugs and have a nice developed tune for various circumstances. Not all tracks will be the same.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:30 PM
Leong72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
......Probably the same location in the GT3.
It's on the rear parcel shelf in the 991 GT3, still easy enough to get to unless you have a cage
Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
The module comes preloaded with two maps. You can't have more than two maps because it is controlled using the PASM button in the car. However, they provide the software to tune and change all of the settings and then create custom maps by yourself. The software, and the level of control it provides, appears to be very robust.......
Yes. Only two maps loaded into the DSC unit at any one time, but you can have as many as you like on your laptop. Only takes 2mins to upload a new map, especially if you leave a USB cable plugged into the DSC unit.

I'd characterize the bouncing I've experienced at SP as 'high-frequency, medium-amplitude, causing reduced grip' in the braking zone for T1, but 'low-frequency, large-amplitude, causing the car to be unstable before the corner' at T3 and T10, and to a lesser extent T4. I'd chalk this up to something being wrong with the car, except that the car is good at other tracks.
I think this is exactly the type of scenario where DSC can be superior to PASM - it's user (or service person) programmable. I'm so lucky to have Jeff helping me out - he's such an enthusiast taking time off work to come to the track, or weekends away from his wife. What Jeff would do, and with more knowledge a user could also, is record a lap with the DSC software. This will determine what the velocity and G forces are and what the shocks are doing at each point, and then try to tune the map accordingly. I think there is also work in the pipeline to use the velocity sensors that are in the OEM shocks. This could help your situation too

If the DSC can match the PASM settings, and then allow tweaking from there, that would be good. I'd be reluctant to take a 'start from scratch' approach and have to spend a lot of time tuning the shocks, getting confused about cause/effect in the process and possibly chasing adjustments for a long time. I also want to keep the character of the car roughly the same as stock.
Exactly. Macca and I have been talking about this. I had my car in to Jeff at the dealership on Wednesday. We looked at the what the shocks were doing with the OEM PASM module installed with the Porsche software. I got the impression that translating this into a DSC map would take some doing.

Last edited by Leong72; 04-09-2016 at 02:15 AM.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:31 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Rear shelf, bummer. Maybe i'll hold off on this until I am not worried about needing to warranty my E motor for it blowing its brains out.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:55 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bigkraig
Rear shelf, bummer. Maybe i'll hold off on this until I am not worried about needing to warranty my E motor for it blowing its brains out.
Kai's. There should be no warranty exposure with the DSC in the event your E engine expires. The factory PASM or DSC is not part of the ECU or transmission modules and can in no way influence their function. Even with a factory cage it's easy enough to lift up the rear panel in a GT3 and replace the PASM- in fact it's easier I should think than in a base 991 that has rear seats etc
Old 04-09-2016, 12:12 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Great thread. Easy to verify performance. Run, load file and run again.

Between the going performance threads, rear muffler and cat delete, light weight battery and suspension with 19" Hoosiers it should make quite the difference I think.

The car is awesome out of the box and faster by a good bit than the unicorn 4.0 but nice to know there is more easily available.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:40 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yes the DMS headers would be nice to get the GT3 to the same torque/weight ratio as the GT4 and should win a few tenths out of the tight corners our tracks have down here.

I haven't graduated from the MPSC2, more or less stock Geo & factory brakes/pads yet but the GT3 with DSC is already the quickest road car in our RSG group of 70 members (closely followed by a well driven GT4). I guess its nice to heave a few options (Tropheo R, geo, DMS) etc on the table for later when the 991 GT3RS comes along and blow us all away :-)
Old 04-19-2016, 11:23 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Installed the DSC sport today and it has made the street riding so smooth I am wondering if its even on. There is a mild roughness introduced when I put it into sport mode but in the regular mode it is incredibly compliant. I have an autocross this weekend where I will see if I notice a difference on the track.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks Kraig. Keep us posted after your autoX...
Old 04-25-2016, 06:06 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Really hard to tell without going back and forth between units I think. Especially for autocross where the track changes every time.

It's a hassle to install in a car with fixed buckets and a roll cage.

Anyway, car was handling great despite my tires being on their very last legs. I am basically out of tread. I may try to get another day out of these but ill be cording soon.

For 1200 bucks totally worth it, the improved comfort on the street is just icing on the cake.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:27 PM
FerchoPorsche
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,
trying to convince myself to get the DSC (or to not to, not sure which camp I'm on)... like others expressed, I don't want to spend time, at least not too much -whatever that means-, changing settings.
Can anyone share some DSC experience on tracks like Thunderhill (any config), Laguna, Sonoma ? Is it better out of the box ? Or you need to mess around with configs ?

Some people mentioned that in non-PDCC mode, the ride is "smoother"... I actually like the way it rides by default, it feels solid without being springy, it has a very nice sporty feeling, some tightness that transmit assurance... will it feel softer, as in non-sports-car ? or is just more forgiving ? (Hell, don't know if I'm making sense)

Lastly, any comments on alignment (with regards to DSC) ? Did any of you had to go for a different setting ? (I have a not-very-agressive track alignment, which I feel a bit too tail happy, but it might be me, and I'm digressing).

Most -if not all- comments have been positive about DSC, anybody not liking it ? Why ?

Thanks for any comments...
Old 09-21-2018, 08:45 AM
Mika911
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Anyone, is it known whether the DSC can cause issues with the PASM modes?

on Tuesday I took my 991RS to Spa and when going out on track noticed the damper light showed the PASM to be in firm mode already. Didn’t think anything of it at that moment. Spent a day on track and struggled a lot with snap oversteer at turn-in and corner exit and ABS being triggered. Put that down to the track being more slippery than usual (Cup2 N2 had only done 1 day). I was generally about 3-4s off my usual time, which seems a lot.

When driving home I wanted to switch the dampers into soft mode but the light stayed on. Had to keep it pressed for a long time, after which it did switch off. And per the display I was able to switch it on and off again. Wondering whether there was an issue I drove back home alternating between hard and soft but could not notice a different, despite the bad road surface in Belgium. At a guess I would have said it stayed in soft and now wonder whether that was the reason for the handling issues on track.

Contacted the vendor who did not seem overly surprised by the issue but said they go into hard mode as a default. He is going to analyse it when I bring the car in, but wonder if there is any experience with this on RL.

any input much appreciated.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Mika911
Anyone, is it known whether the DSC can cause issues with the PASM modes?

on Tuesday I took my 991RS to Spa and when going out on track noticed the damper light showed the PASM to be in firm mode already. Didn’t think anything of it at that moment. Spent a day on track and struggled a lot with snap oversteer at turn-in and corner exit and ABS being triggered. Put that down to the track being more slippery than usual (Cup2 N2 had only done 1 day). I was generally about 3-4s off my usual time, which seems a lot.

When driving home I wanted to switch the dampers into soft mode but the light stayed on. Had to keep it pressed for a long time, after which it did switch off. And per the display I was able to switch it on and off again. Wondering whether there was an issue I drove back home alternating between hard and soft but could not notice a different, despite the bad road surface in Belgium. At a guess I would have said it stayed in soft and now wonder whether that was the reason for the handling issues on track.

Contacted the vendor who did not seem overly surprised by the issue but said they go into hard mode as a default. He is going to analyse it when I bring the car in, but wonder if there is any experience with this on RL.

any input much appreciated.
The DSC *replaces* the OEM PASM controller, which is responsible for "commanding" the valves in the individual PASM shocks to open/close ... the shocks themselves are pretty passive units which simply respond
to a voltage change to affect the valve (although there is as I recall, a per-shock controller which the PASM or DSC controller communicates with in order to cause this to occur).

If you were "stuck" in PASM Sport mode, that would suggest that there was a fault somewhere in the system, which I would expect would throw a fault code which you could read, you may have to replace the
DSC with the OEM PASM controller to determine if the fault was in the installation of the DSC or if it is a problem elsewhere in the PASM system.

Was this DSC newly installed or have you had it installed for a while?

Did the vendor mean that when a PASM fault is detected that the system goes into hard mode by default?

I think if you were able to get the unit to eventually switch any fault must have been transitory ... which might make it hard to diagnose

Rgds

- Larry
Old 09-22-2018, 09:33 AM
Mika911
Racer

Thanks very much for your response, Larry. I will try to snake through the cage today and hook my PC up to the unit, as I have never got round to that.

The unit was installed about 10 months ago and seems to have been working fine. The vendor (9e in the UK) told me that if there is a fault it will be set to firm mode. Tbh the variation between the modes is so subtle that I struggle to detect them on the road, or it simply isn’t switching at the moment.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:01 PM
Mika911
Racer

Finally managed to get the unit out and plug in the cable. Not easy with a cage and buckets. Plastics bits that hold the carpet will have to be put back by someone slimmer than me.

Read the settings which appear to be correct. Looks like I would have to either install the standard unit to read faults or hook up a PC whilst driving. Now that I have connection, I’m also keen to experiment with some firmer damper settings especially for lateral g forces.

Note to any vendor installing these - install them with a usb cable connected. Ideally one that’s over 1m long.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:32 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Mika911
Finally managed to get the unit out and plug in the cable. Not easy with a cage and buckets. Plastics bits that hold the carpet will have to be put back by someone slimmer than me.

Read the settings which appear to be correct. Looks like I would have to either install the standard unit to read faults or hook up a PC whilst driving. Now that I have connection, I’m also keen to experiment with some firmer damper settings especially for lateral g forces.

Note to any vendor installing these - install them with a usb cable connected. Ideally one that’s over 1m long.
my experience (with the DSC on my 997.2 GT3 which is the v1 DSC) was that the ECU would not render fault codes with the DSC installed... YMMV with the 991 ECU & DSC v2.

given that you were able to 'clear' the fault and get the system to toggle between 'normal' and 'sport' mode I would assume that the fault was transient ... do you have 'tuned' maps for your RS or
are you running the "off the shelf" 991 maps?

+1 on leaving a USB cable installed in the DSC as it makes it easier to re-program the DSC w/o removing it...

Quick Reply: DSC Sport