Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is regular GT3 better than RS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 01:34 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Great Write-up on the GT3 vs the superior mechanical grip, HP, Torque and Aero of the GT3RS.
Previously recorded lap records for the 997 and 996 versions of those cars showed similar 1-2 second
advantage between those models - far less than the differential expected by good Track coaching in either car. The real hero of that comparison may be the leading Turbo S whose lap times were not shown but described thusly: "The Turbo S ahead fires out of corners and just hauls away on the straights..."
Apparently Porsche has calculated the new TTS-2 Nurburgring time would be faster than either model.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:48 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

I have not driven an RS but saw a silver or white one in person in a showroom and I have to say in terms of looks it is on another level. Looks like it is worth $500k easy in terms of looks.

Again, I have not driven an RS but my friend said you don't really feel the power difference between the GT3 and RS except that it has more torque from low to high RPMs. For me the GT3 is a superb drive, I would have loved to get an RS but it was way above budget as allocation closed here, so I could only get a used and they were more than new so ...
Old 03-15-2016, 09:50 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 KSA
I have not driven an RS but saw a silver or white one in person in a showroom and I have to say in terms of looks it is on another level. Looks like it is worth $500k easy in terms of looks.
Agree 100%. They look MUCH BETTER in person.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:10 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Different look- The RS is menacing and intimidating looking in a good way. It has a stance and presence that says I am going to kick your ***.

The GT3 is prettier and smoother looking. Flows better. I prefer the looks of the GT3 better. The RS is not pretty by any means but I am not being negative.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:16 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Different look- The RS is menacing and intimidating looking in a good way. It has a stance and presence that says I am going to kick your ***.

The GT3 is prettier and smoother looking. Flows better. I prefer the looks of the GT3 better. The RS is not pretty by any means but I am not being negative.
Pictures don't do the GT3 RS justice but while we are on pictures, neither does pictures of the GT3, i think both these cars need to be seen in person.

The RS though in person looks like an ultra super car, whereas the GT3 looks like a great sports car.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:21 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Pictures don't do the GT3 RS justice but while we are on pictures, neither does pictures of the GT3, i think both these cars need to be seen in person.
Agreed. I was shocked how much better mine looked when it arrived. Definitely a WOW moment. The RS was just like that in person. Really special.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:22 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Agreed with everything you said.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:38 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

The RS though in person looks like an ultra super car, whereas the GT3 looks like a great sports car.
I have owned a 991 GT3 and I have spent time gazing at an RS in a private room from many angles. I have no skin in the game. I can look at this objectively but yet it is my subjective feeling- makes no sense

The RS only looks like a Super car because it is the prices it is selling at.
Although, I have always felt the 991 GT3/RS have finally made it to the super car stage because their performance numbers and desirability have finally rang the bell.

But- as a Supercar- The RS is far from the prettier of this group. I find the Lambo, Ferrari, McLaren 675 better looking cars. But- that does mean I would take them over the RS
Old 03-15-2016, 11:33 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have owned a 991 GT3 and I have spent time gazing at an RS in a private room from many angles. I have no skin in the game. I can look at this objectively but yet it is my subjective feeling- makes no sense

The RS only looks like a Super car because it is the prices it is selling at.
Although, I have always felt the 991 GT3/RS have finally made it to the super car stage because their performance numbers and desirability have finally rang the bell.

But- as a Supercar- The RS is far from the prettier of this group. I find the Lambo, Ferrari, McLaren 675 better looking cars. But- that does mean I would take them over the RS
Jimmy you nailed it. I like the looks of the 3 much more then the RS. Would I get the RS if I could, probably not. If I was in the market for an RS over the Fcars, Lambo's, etc, that's when I would take the RS.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:42 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,487 Posts

The GT3 and RS look different. The GT3 looks more elegant and 'finished', as though it's been through a hundred aesthetic iterations in a search for perfection. RS looks a bit cartoonish, but also looks extreme, menacing, and expensive. I like the appearance of both, but not sure I'd gravitate towards the RS if I wasn't a track guy.

To my eye, 997.2 RS was a great looking car and combines some of the visual appeal of both the 991 GT3 and RS.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:48 AM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RS markup made ACR Extreme an easy choice to join my GT3 in the Garage. To me, ACR makes RS look puny in the I-am-going-to-kick-your-***-on-track department.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:30 AM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Personally I find the RS to be much more imposing and impressive car than the 3. Leaving Daytona a couple of months ago I wound up behind an RS after the race had ended and I felt like a Miata guy must feel when comparing his car to a much more substantial one. That said however I stick to my three as a better solution for my needs.

Quick Reply: Is regular GT3 better than RS?