Sponsored by:

Porsche GT Department

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 09:15 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Can't a "purist" NA car be had for under $200K? More like a "privileged" car. Either this or turbo charged vacuum cleaners? The GT3 should stay and would be nice to have a $140Kish option. Anyone wants a few upgrades, move upstream. Porsche shouldn't price itself too high. Easy to do when times are good, but things aren't always "good".
^ This is easy to forget. Not that long ago Porsche ended up in a bad situation with the 964/993. Times are good at the moment. We all know it changes fast.

The smart move is the one they are planning.
Keep MSRP about the same for gen2 gt3 and offer MT.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:45 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by OMG Noooooo....
dropping the GT3 is confirmed from AP as doable
but we knew it months ago on RL didnt we?

i hope you didn t sold for nuts your last 911 GT3

"The future may contain NO GT3"

"Andreas Preuninger sees two tribes of Porsche GT buyer: the purists, and the racers.
And while the cars that appeal to each use the same tech, they take it in different directions.

Fit a manual to the GT3 again - as he seemingly plans to - and a blurred line
between the 911 R and GT3 RS exists. “For the far future maybe
it would be worth thinking about an RS and an R,
but NO GT3, because there’d be overlapping,” he
(Andreas) says.

If you’ve just spat tea over your computer, grab
a cloth and then try to calm down. Nothing’s certain.(TopGear)"

Last edited by fxz; 03-09-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:30 PM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Haku
Thanks for posting. Lots of info there.

- NA engine to stay for the GT program...at least for a while.

- Sounds like 991.2 is going to happen and with manual option.

- Long term plans seem to point to the GT3 to be dropped in favor of R and RS.
Manual option but which will it be the 6 speed, a lá the R, or 7 speed?

I just wonder what the tien around flip value is going to be on the R? More so than the RS?
Old 03-09-2016, 11:31 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I personally don't see the point of the R, if a 3 gets manual.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:07 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by meaker
I personally don't see the point of the R, if a 3 gets manual.
You can see the point of R if you read AP when he says
to TopGear 1 week ago

it would be worth thinking about an RS and an R,
but NO GT3, because there’d be overlapping,” he
(Andreas) says.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:47 AM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr. G
I agree. But...

There's a part of me that looks at Porsche as a business as well. Porsche pretty much sells all of the GT3s and GT3 RS models they produce. Has anyone figured out the profit margins on the GT cars? I remember reading posts from members who believed that they believed the profit margins were lower on the GT cars. From a business standpoint would Porsche benefit from dropping the GT3 and keeping the RS while significantly increasing the power, price and production numbers of the GTS models?

Would most of the GT3 loyalists move up to the RS? Would RS numbers increase? Would a higher power GTS finally give the "if you have to ask you should buy the turbo" crowd a simpler answer to their question?
Price Point, those are the two words that are being talked over with the complete elemination of the GT3. MSRP of a little over $130K and not as loud of a looking car as the RS. Besides according to Porsche only allowing 475 Horsepower that is mighty fine for a lot of us who might not ever track the car and want a more Subdued Look, even though there is still the wing. Just think of it as GT3RS Lite. And in stock form with the PDK it is mighty fast regardless. Out of all the 911 I would say the GT3 has the greatest value of performance per dollar of all of it's cars.

For some of us we can only hope there will, might(!), be a 991.2 GT3 Version with manual to satisify the masses. But as of now I can see that Porsche had decided instead to construct the R perhaps. And the planner's, Management Accountant's, came to the conclusion that Porsche can create a larger bottom line in their GT searies if the make the R instead, even though it doesn't say GT we all very well know it was developed and honed under the Guise of Mr A.P.!

I am grateful that Porsche decided to make the R and with Manual. However making a GT3, and with a Manual Transmission Six or even Seven please, will satisfy the rest of us who cannot at the moment justify trying to allocate anything above a Non S Twin Turbo.

Last edited by The New 911; 03-10-2016 at 10:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Porsche GT Department