Sponsored by:

My first paint chip...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 10:08 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts
Default My first paint chip...

Well, that didn't take long. I cannot be any more careful and still drive the car. I do not follow close behind cars or trucks. I avoid the highway. If I see a semi coming I hug the right side of lane. But, it still happens. This was a semi coming the other way. Rock must have bounced up and landed right on the upper part of the rear quarter panel. I knew it right away, but decided to drive the rest of the day and enjoy it.

The chip is the size of a pen point, and it went right to bare metal. I ordered the Dr. Color Chip, so we'll see how well it comes out. But I did stop at a clear bra shop and talk to one of the guys. The good news? Even if I did wrap the car, it wouldn't have been that high on the rear. So I could have dropped $2k and still been gutted. The bad news? I really don't care for any partial wraps. If the entire panel is not covered, to me it ruins the look of the car.

Just hoping this Dr. Color Chip stuff works decent so I don't go OCD on it.

On a more positive note, God I love this car. I love everything about it. The ride is firm but not brutal. The steering is awesome. It has ****loads of power, even at 7,000 feet. You really do feel like a rock star driving this thing. The car is just completely bad to the bone, and I love it.

One f'ing paint chip isn't going to change that!
Old 03-06-2016, 10:13 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

Patina, patina, patina, patina, patina, breath, patina, patina

Repeat 10 times

Drive.

Works every time.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:16 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

I've had good luck with Dr. Color Chip.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:21 PM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel ya bud. I just knicked my Cayenne...right at the drivers door handle so I get to see it every time I open the door! Doh!

But...hey...it's a car. It IS going to get 'road scars'. The only way to battle it is to have the car fully wrapped with PPF. And even then, it's not a guarantee.

Enjoy that beauty, bud!
Old 03-06-2016, 10:24 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear about the minor scar. Glad you're enjoying the car though.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:29 PM
viprklr
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dr Color chip will fix you right up. My best friend has the franchise for this region & has fixed several of my cars. You will very happy.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:36 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by montoya
Patina, patina, patina, patina, patina, breath, patina, patina

Repeat 10 times

Drive.

Works every time.
LOL Okay then!

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I've had good luck with Dr. Color Chip.
That makes me feel better. Thanks!

Originally Posted by PhilT3
I feel ya bud. I just knicked my Cayenne...right at the drivers door handle so I get to see it every time I open the door! Doh!

But...hey...it's a car. It IS going to get 'road scars'. The only way to battle it is to have the car fully wrapped with PPF. And even then, it's not a guarantee.

Enjoy that beauty, bud!
Thanks Phil! Right at the driver door handle? Well of course it is! LOL

Originally Posted by bronson7
Sorry to hear about the minor scar. Glad you're enjoying the car though.
Thanks Bronson. This thing is perfection on wheels.

Originally Posted by viprklr
Dr Color chip will fix you right up. My best friend has the franchise for this region & has fixed several of my cars. You will very happy.
You are making me feel a lot better right now! Thanks!
Old 03-06-2016, 10:59 PM
16'991GT3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sucks to hear about the paint chip, glad its not stopping you from enjoying the car, and good luck with the Dr color chip! On a similar note, but something I would categorize as worse since it could have been avoided, the third day I had the car I parked in an empty parking lot and this van pulled up right next to me of all the spots and the guy opens his door right into my bumper luckily it was on an area that had the xpel, but the expel looks like it might have been a little displaced
Old 03-06-2016, 11:22 PM
texas_maverick
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

"Just hoping this Dr. Color Chip stuff works decent so I don't go OCD on it."

It doesn't. Prepare for the OCD.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:52 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by 16'991GT3
Sucks to hear about the paint chip, glad its not stopping you from enjoying the car, and good luck with the Dr color chip! On a similar note, but something I would categorize as worse since it could have been avoided, the third day I had the car I parked in an empty parking lot and this van pulled up right next to me of all the spots and the guy opens his door right into my bumper luckily it was on an area that had the xpel, but the expel looks like it might have been a little displaced
That is just crap.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:53 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by texas_maverick
"Just hoping this Dr. Color Chip stuff works decent so I don't go OCD on it."

It doesn't. Prepare for the OCD.
I am going to pretend I did not read that.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:57 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok, I have resisted, but can no longer

Dude. You bought a GT3. These comments clearly indicate the car will (sadly) never see a track. At least cherish the patina like you should, and never admit this kind of namby pamby behavior in public again. Just tell everyone it happened when the race prepped Z06 ahead of you wouldn't point you by
Old 03-07-2016, 12:03 AM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts

Depending on the chip the Langka Blob Eliminator may be even better. I've had luck using DCC, but with Langka you can pile up the layers one at a time and then level them off using the Blob eliminator. I touched up chips on my wife's pearl white Prius and she couldn't even find them. It works best on flat areas as opposed to corners or edges. Best of all it works with factory touch up paint. Good luck!!

Amazon.com: LANGKA The Blob Eliminator: Automotive Amazon.com: LANGKA The Blob Eliminator: Automotive
Old 03-07-2016, 12:06 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Ok, I have resisted, but can no longer

Dude. You bought a GT3. These comments clearly indicate the car will (sadly) never see a track. At least cherish the patina like you should, and never admit this kind of namby pamby behavior in public again. Just tell everyone it happened when the race prepped Z06 ahead of you wouldn't point you by
I wear my poser racer identity like a badge of honor. All I need is the roll cage to complete the facade. I am working on it LOL.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:07 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by madmurdock
Depending on the chip the Langka Blob Eliminator may be even better. I've had luck using DCC, but with Langka you can pile up the layers one at a time and then level them off using the Blob eliminator. I touched up chips on my wife's pearl white Prius and she couldn't even find them. It works best on flat areas as opposed to corners or edges. Best of all it works with factory touch up paint. Good luck!!

Amazon.com: LANGKA The Blob Eliminator: Automotive
Thanks! Nexy on my list if DCC doesn't do it.

Quick Reply: My first paint chip...