991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Offtopic: GT4 CS is looking great - vid review

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016 | 08:18 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Looking forward to seeing these cars on my home track (NOLA) at the PCA club race in April.
Old 03-07-2016 | 01:42 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fbirch
Looking forward to seeing these cars on my home track (NOLA) at the PCA club race in April.
I have never been to NOLA. Looking forward to it.

What is the hotel recommendation for that track?
Old 03-07-2016 | 03:08 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Nizer
Better cars if you don't intend to race. For those that do, connect with a race shop, fill out the paperwork, and write the checks .
agree on if you dont race there are better cars
but if you race, and race on west coast. thing are COMPLETELY different than anything on east coast. say cup cars. a BIG BIG BIG race is like 10-12 cups cars. a club race is like 2 cup cars. we dont have letter class cars. you dont have spec 911, GTL etc. it's as different as soccer vs american football.

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I'm a complete noob with porsche motorsport car buying and I do not have a race team nor intend to race. Please post or PM how to buy this car.
to get a car you need to commit to race
BUT
1. u can buy a car from european teams. rare, but possible i was offered one $250k USD too rich for me

2. if you are willing to really PAY up you can get one without racing. i been offered a CS free and clear with no racing obligation for $400k USD. no, that' snot a typo
Old 03-07-2016 | 10:58 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
This is same just from a factory, which should in theory be at least more reliable. Maybe I'm missing something.
Understand the attraction of factory new but not like buying a street car. There's no warranty or support.

If it were my money I'd go buy one of PASEB's Caymans (https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...dk-2011-a.html), which look well executed and showed well at Sebring, then use the $100k saved to pay for consumables, transport, fees, coaching, ABS, etc. $100k is probably 2-3 seasons worth of track time by most our standards.

Originally Posted by mooty
but if you race, and race on west coast. thing are COMPLETELY different than anything on east coast. say cup cars. a BIG BIG BIG race is like 10-12 cups cars. a club race is like 2 cup cars. we dont have letter class cars. you dont have spec 911, GTL etc. it's as different as soccer vs american football.
Yes, I've looked at your race rosters. Very wide differences between east and west coast club racing scene.
Old 03-07-2016 | 12:35 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty

to get a car you need to commit to race
BUT
1. u can buy a car from european teams. rare, but possible i was offered one $250k USD too rich for me

2. if you are willing to really PAY up you can get one without racing. i been offered a CS free and clear with no racing obligation for $400k USD. no, that' snot a typo
$400k is cheaper than adding in the cost of the racing commitment.
Old 03-07-2016 | 01:47 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
Understand the attraction of factory new but not like buying a street car. There's no warranty or support.

If it were my money I'd go buy one of PASEB's Caymans
With GT4 CS being $100K+ over the price of one of these cars in great condition, I would agree. At list price or close to that it does look more compelling.
Old 03-07-2016 | 03:38 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
$400k is cheaper than adding in the cost of the racing commitment.
My favorite thing is how people think
"I don't need a pit crew for this race car" or "why do we have to pay pit crews so much?"

Well if your wheel falls off because you hire some jabroni you will be wishing you paid the extra 2k per weekend to have great crew vs avg crew.
Old 03-07-2016 | 05:11 PM
M3ike
Advanced

From my post on Rennteam and on another thread on RL:

Today I finally got to drive the Cayman GT4 Clubsport at Portimao. It was the second time I drove a Cayman on a race track and at Spa last year Inreally struggled as I'm used to 911 driving dynamics so I was a bit sceptical. As the sudpension is not adjustable for bump and rebound you can only play with camber, toe and ride hight so you have to make do what has bern chosen by Manthey and KW. My benchmark I compared the car with is a 991 with the 350 hp engine raced in VLN in category V6 ( production car with max 3.5 litre displacement, able to lap full VLN Nordschleife variant at 9 min.)

- Very neutral handling

- Playfull

- Race PSM very good, almost no interference, very subtle, helping instead of slowing you down

-Relentless brakes

- Good traction

-Stability in fast corners

- Direct steering from cup

What I really had to get used to was the non assisted brakes, you really had to hammer them to get the car hauled down, the more direct steering from the Cup also needed more effort so it is quite a physical experience compared to what Imeas used to. I was slso missing the last bit of confidence in the fast corners and to rotate the car in slower corners. I wanted to drive more laps but to get there but car is very popular and we had to share with a couple of drivers.

The only real dissapointment is the engine which sounded fantastic from the outside but inside the car coarse. The differnece to the 3.5 litre Carrera was minor.

I've added the link to one of my laps, I won't use the book of excuses but I left around 2 seconds on the table at my ability level, fastet lap was 1.57.4 from the Nordschleife lap record holder in V6.
Old 03-07-2016 | 11:42 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I have never been to NOLA. Looking forward to it.

What is the hotel recommendation for that track?
Not sure what kind of accommodations you're seeking, but the track is on the west bank (i.e., west side of Mississippi River) and the area immediately around it is somewhat scruffy. The city and most of the nicer burbs are on the east bank. NOLA is a big convention city, so there's a good selection of hotels ranging from simple to opulent. If you just want a decent place to crash, try the Hampton Inn (on Mounes) in the Metairie/Harahan area at the foot of the Huey P. Long bridge, one of two bridges that cross the river close to the track. It's a 10-15 minute drive to the track from there. Lots of places to eat or get a drink within walking distance of the hotel. If you want opulence or something closer to the party district/French Quarter, downtown New Orleans has a million choices and is about 20 minutes from the track via the Crescent City Connection, the other main bridge that crosses the river. Good luck on your choice and bienvenue en Louisiane.

Quick Reply: Offtopic: GT4 CS is looking great - vid review