Advice Needed: LWBS Sticker removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 11:56 AM
RupeTN
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Advice Needed: LWBS Sticker removal

Howdy....

Before I go at it and try to peel the stickers off, any advice or suggestions from those who have done it?

My hope is they just peel right off and don't pull apart and no adhesive left on the seat backs. Obviously want to keep away any solvent cleaner of any type that would hurt the clear coat.

Is it as easy as it looks?
Attached Images   
Old 03-03-2016, 12:28 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had my detailer take them off. He said very easy to do but not sure what he used to remove it. Some one here will give you some good advice on how to do it.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:33 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

My dealer has done this during PDI,but I can't imagine it to be difficult. You are removing a sticker from over a glossy surface. The carbon fiber has clear coat applied on top of it,so IMO,you can just remove those stickers spraying some warm water to soften them up. It's not like trying to remove a sticker from leather or alcantara,which can be a bit more challenging.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:51 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Removed mine when I first got the car. Get a corner to come up and you can slowly pull them off. I used rubbing alcohol and goo gone to help remove/lift the stickers, plus remove any glue residue.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:56 PM
TideRace
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Proceed with caution. I spent about an hour+ getting mine off my 18-ways recently. I followed instructions on other threads here describing a process where you soak a paper towel in 93% isopropyl alcohol, lay it on the sticker for a period of time (10-20 minutes I think) and then start peeling it off.

First, those stickers adhere like they were put on with gorilla glue. They clearly don't want them coming off, ever. When you are able to get a corner started, it will not come off in one piece when using any method I came across here. Instead you will end up pulling it off in fragments, and leave a good amount of residue behind. Maybe if it was a warmer day, or I used a heat source to soften things up, I would have had a better result. In the end, you can't tell my seats ever had a sticker on them, but it took a lot of time and patience. If you can find a detailer who confidently says "Yes, done this many times", I'd turn it over to them, or at least ask about their method.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:13 PM
RupeTN
Instructor

Originally Posted by TideRace
First, those stickers adhere like they were put on with gorilla glue. They clearly don't want them coming off, ever. When you are able to get a corner started, it will not come off in one piece when using any method I came across here. Instead you will end up pulling it off in fragments, and leave a good amount of residue behind.
Thanks for the info and exactly what I don't want to happen. Maybe this weekend it will warm up a bit and I'll give it a try. It's always the little things that end up being huge "time-sucks". Drop an engine, no prob. Peel a sticker - 2 hours.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:21 PM
consolidated
Drifting

A heat gun or blow dryer on low always helps soften the adhesive, then peel up at a 90° angle or less, not back onto itself.

If that doesn't work try a right angle grinder.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:35 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Wonder of the guys ending up behind the seats can read... But that is another topic.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:38 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

The 91% rubbing alcohol trick works.
WD-40 will remove any adhesive residue easily.
The hardest part is getting into the back of the car!!

Also - pop off the little pillows on the seats. Simple.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:58 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I used a blow dryer to heat it up and then it peeled right off. For the excess, I use masking tape and take it off little by little by applying the tape to the remaining residue. Took about 10 minutes. I would avoid WD-40, if you don't want your car to stink.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:59 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
A heat gun or blow dryer on low always helps soften the adhesive, then peel up at a 90° angle or less, not back onto itself.
This is the key to removal--some low heat (it would take a lot to scorch the CF) will soften the adhesive enough to lift the sticker. Then WD-40 or 3M adhesive remover to dissolve any residue and you're done. That worked perfectly on mine. No leftover stink in the car after 10 minutes of airing out.

TT
Old 03-03-2016, 03:08 PM
RupeTN
Instructor

Thanks guys. Will get out my heat gun and take it slow and easy. That has worked fine before on decals on exterior paint. Nice to know folks have used it on the seat backs.

RayDBonz is right - getting decent access in the back is the hard part.

As Kobalt said - who exactly is supposed to read these stickers? And how did they get back there?

If none of this works out, I'll try the grinder. Maybe be really, really careful with the cut-off tool.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:12 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I removed this from back of GT3 which was the cheap plastic not CF and I could always see residue of the glue in the paint. The glue they use is nasty. Don't freak out once you get started. It may look easy but you be surprised.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:15 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TideRace
Proceed with caution. I spent about an hour+ getting mine off my 18-ways recently. I followed instructions on other threads here describing a process where you soak a paper towel in 93% isopropyl alcohol, lay it on the sticker for a period of time (10-20 minutes I think) and then start peeling it off.

First, those stickers adhere like they were put on with gorilla glue. They clearly don't want them coming off, ever. When you are able to get a corner started, it will not come off in one piece when using any method I came across here. Instead you will end up pulling it off in fragments, and leave a good amount of residue behind. Maybe if it was a warmer day, or I used a heat source to soften things up, I would have had a better result. In the end, you can't tell my seats ever had a sticker on them, but it took a lot of time and patience. If you can find a detailer who confidently says "Yes, done this many times", I'd turn it over to them, or at least ask about their method.
The 18 ways are not glossy like the LWB's that is why it took you so long. They should come right off the LWB
Old 03-03-2016, 05:00 PM
TideRace
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 66mustang
The 18 ways are not glossy like the LWB's that is why it took you so long. They should come right off the LWB
Ah - that makes sense. I was starting to question my sticker removal skillz

Quick Reply: Advice Needed: LWBS Sticker removal