Sponsored by:

PSE always on

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 12:38 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default PSE always on

Considering plugging the PSE tube to turn the PSE to always on. What is the draw back? At what RPM w/o PSE on the sport exhaust comes on
Old 02-25-2016, 02:27 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Kamal, this has been hotly discussed with respect to the GT3. I think I was one of the first to post a DIY on how to plug the vacuum connections to keep PSE on all the time so I wouldn't have to press the button whenever I started the car. It was easy to do, but after a few days I reverted back to stock. To my ears the sound quality was louder, but not better, and I felt as though there was a slight loss of low end torque.

Even when the PSE button is pressed the valve flaps are modulated by the ECU for optimum performance. That functionality is lost when PSE is disabled. In general, the flaps open at around 3-4000 RPM with PSE not engaged but, again, the ECU will adjust them to meet load and throttle position.

Just my 2 cents. I know there are other opinions on this subject. The mod is easily reversible. You can try it and judge for yourself.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:42 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
Considering plugging the PSE tube to turn the PSE to always on. What is the draw back? At what RPM w/o PSE on the sport exhaust comes on
I did this for a little while by inserting a stainless set screw into the short vacuum hose. However, I removed it for a couple reasons. While I know it's probably there for noise compliance in the EU, it probably does have some impact on low end torque. I felt it was best to keep it functional.

I went with a SharkWerks bypass (GT3 and RS) and I hardly notice the PSE turning on or off...

One thing I wish is that the PSE would retain the last setting in between drives... It could probably be fixed with a software update like nothing...
Old 02-25-2016, 03:00 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Thanks Mike/AWEW

I remember we discussed this before. Thanks for refresher. I am going to leave it alone. I Just wanted to see what you all are doing. Later
Old 02-25-2016, 04:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks Mike/AWEW

I remember we discussed this before. Thanks for refresher. I am going to leave it alone. I Just wanted to see what you all are doing. Later
You're welcome. Hope you're enjoying your RS...how could you not be?

Originally Posted by awew911
I did this for a little while by inserting a stainless set screw into the short vacuum hose. However, I removed it for a couple reasons. While I know it's probably there for noise compliance in the EU, it probably does have some impact on low end torque. I felt it was best to keep it functional.

I went with a SharkWerks bypass (GT3 and RS) and I hardly notice the PSE turning on or off...

One thing I wish is that the PSE would retain the last setting in between drives... It could probably be fixed with a software update like nothing...
Me too.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:36 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

I have it in this state now (not intentionally - something broke and the flaps are always open), and the drone between 2800 and 3400 is very unpleasant. Everywhere else it's ok - same as with sport button pressed above 3400 and louder but good loud below 2800. But that range is where the engine wants to be during 55-75MPH highway cruising, so it's inconvenient.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:18 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Just my 2 cents. I know there are other opinions on this subject.
Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I have it in this state now (not intentionally - something broke and the flaps are always open), and the drone between 2800 and 3400 is very unpleasant. Everywhere else it's ok - same as with sport button pressed above 3400 and louder but good loud below 2800. But that range is where the engine wants to be during 55-75MPH highway cruising, so it's inconvenient.
I belong to the other opinion on this one I personally love that mod, don't have to push any buttons and the volume is always on, rather than off then abruptly on. For me, the torque loss is either difficult to sense or it is at an RPM I don't usually drive in much. Speed limit where I live is 70 (at least) and they don't bother you until 80 so I don't suffer that drone much.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:15 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I belong to the other opinion on this one I personally love that mod, don't have to push any buttons and the volume is always on, rather than off then abruptly on. For me, the torque loss is either difficult to sense or it is at an RPM I don't usually drive in much. Speed limit where I live is 70 (at least) and they don't bother you until 80 so I don't suffer that drone much.
Sam, Did you have to? You making this difficult for me. Thanks for your feedback. It's great that we are all different

Quick Reply: PSE always on