Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutting the Passenger Seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016 | 09:45 PM
Joe731
Racer

Default Cutting the Passenger Seat

Now that I have the Cantrell roll bar installed, I looked at the seats to see what needs to be done to install the 6-point harnesses. The Driver's seat has the slot in the fabric and through the seat shell, so that's easy.

The passenger seat has no such hole in the fabric or the shell. Cutting the shell is not the part I am worried about. Do I have to cut the seat cushion open and re-stitch the respective sides closed to create that slot? I am much better with a wrench than with a sewing needle. I am sure others have done this surgery already, but I couldn't find it using search. Happy to be pointed to the right page if it's out there.
Old 02-22-2016 | 10:58 PM
mdkim
Racer

+1 to GMG. Not seeing that there was any re-stitching of the OE cushion and ability to fully lower the seat was paramount to my needs. GMG substrap bar worked perfectly.
Old 02-22-2016 | 11:19 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Yes you cut it and yes it's easy:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...passenger.html

This thread tells you everything you need to know- Cantrell can do it too.
Old 02-23-2016 | 08:53 AM
Joe731
Racer

Default Perfect

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for pointing me to it and thanks for writing it up so well. This is what really makes this board valuable.
Old 02-23-2016 | 09:56 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

If you cut the seat you might not be able to use it depending on the group you run with. I.e. PCA, you can't modify a seat. So check with the groups you run with first.
Old 02-23-2016 | 12:29 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Some regions in PCA might be a pain to deal with on the seat. Mine, OVR, would be reasonable. Take photos to show how it looked prior to and after the cut. If you have a couple of regions you typically run with ask their safety chair about what you are doing.
Old 02-23-2016 | 01:25 PM
GMP911
Advanced

I didn't do any sewing on the passenger seat - just open it enough to get the straps through and everything tucks back together very nicely. I followed the post from OrthoJoe without any surprises.

A note: I disconnected the battery before pulling the seats - if you don't you will get an airbag error light that the dealer will have to reset.
Old 02-23-2016 | 11:21 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Todd B
If you cut the seat you might not be able to use it depending on the group you run with. I.e. PCA, you can't modify a seat. So check with the groups you run with first.

That is ridiculous- let's be logical, you are removing some thread so you can slip in a center sub belt(s) to run a 5 or 6 point harness which is a much safer passenger restraint. To be fair you are cutting a hole in the seat bottom also, but that is no different than the drivers seat. No decent tech inspector would ever say that is not allowed because the seat is 'modified'. If they do, you need to run with other people- some groups and regions are run by nerds that only can follow the rules, and not the 'spirit of the rules' or follow any logic.
Old 02-24-2016 | 01:56 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by montoya
That is ridiculous- let's be logical, you are removing some thread so you can slip in a center sub belt(s) to run a 5 or 6 point harness which is a much safer passenger restraint. To be fair you are cutting a hole in the seat bottom also, but that is no different than the drivers seat. No decent tech inspector would ever say that is not allowed because the seat is 'modified'. If they do, you need to run with other people- some groups and regions are run by nerds that only can follow the rules, and not the 'spirit of the rules' or follow any logic.
I agree, but seems some groups around here will deny the use of 6/5 points in the passenger seat due to the shell not being cut at the factory. I don't think anybody cares about the cushion, heck if you want more seat of the pants feel, run without them. It would be nice if national had a more standard set of rules. Just like fire extingushers some regions require them and others don't.

Quick Reply: Cutting the Passenger Seat