991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3RS Recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016 | 05:34 PM
bobbyd
Advanced

Well I don't have a dog in this fight, though I had both 996 and 997 versions of car.

What I will say, however, is that I always felt better about a drivetrain with extensive previous applications in either racing or track use. This way, it's application to street car use was a doddle.

Don't understand why Porsche doesn't make the race car first, compete with it for a number of years, then sell a street version. 993's, 996's, and 997's were more that way. 991's are not, just sayin'

OK flame suit on....
Old 02-16-2016 | 05:44 PM
rave426
Rennlist Member

well this is great
Old 02-16-2016 | 06:10 PM
fxz
Race Car

From: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero

Considering the
Need 4 Speed teenagers
Let me rev to 9k who cares of break in ?
What ? Is snowing? What drifting 4 free opportunity!!

and new or old posers not able to
see the difference between a catalyser and their hoover

why they should ever first race it?

As long as PAG afford 4 replacement
i feel more safe with all these idiots around doing
any possible insane thing to a 991

than pro driver racing it
Old 02-16-2016 | 06:35 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Haku
"Ambulance chasers of rennlist". Love it!

GT3 or RS, these are specialty cars and considering what they do, it's amazing how reliable they are. More importantly, once an issue is identified, Porsche does an amazing job of putting things right. Wonder what Ferrari normally do?
Yup. 997: no warranty after track but they replaced 3 clutches, 3 thermostats, 3 Transcooler valves, 3 side and rear mufflers (3 different 997's) and on the 4.0 galley plug and intake butterfly.. Actually I never owned a GT3 out of warranty and my repair cost has been $0.00. I'll never ever buy anything else for the track.9

Originally Posted by lumber
No doubt. How soon we forget the jumping out of second gear issues with the 996 gearbox, and the ****ty 997 rs trans, that never was addressed correctly.
I'll take a complete tranny, no questions asked.
How is this not great customer service?
They are awesome. But, I believe if I gets 350R or AMG they will also stand behind the product no matter how many times at the track.

Originally Posted by Jooyoung99
It really is a great customer service. I wonder if Porsche will give you guys a nice loaner car (maybe Turbo S) while your cars are getting fixed.
If I do, I'm gonna beat that guy filming 50 launches by another 50 launches before noon.8

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
My car was built last week. Hope it doesn't have to get a new tranny when she arrives. I'd hate to begin with a delay. At least let me get a few miles first. Been long enough.
Stop bitchin' it's snowing anyway. Ship it south and I'll guide you into the GT3DE cup. Between my AC warehouse and Sebring it will be broken in. About same distance as Zuffenhausen - Ring.)

Originally Posted by fxz
Considering the
Need 4 Speed teenagers
Let me rev to 9k who cares of break in ?
What ? Is snowing? What drifting 4 free opportunity!!

and new or old posers not able to
see the difference between a catalyser and their hoover

why they should ever first race it?

As long as PAG afford 4 replacement
i feel more safe with all these idiots around doing
any possible insane thing to a 991

than pro driver racing it
Another riddle ;-)

My car was redlined 50? Times before I did 500 miles chacing Mr Ring concierge Kobalt... My car uses less and less oil and seems to be happy as a monkey with 3 dicks.
Old 02-16-2016 | 06:49 PM
lumber
Burning Brakes

Stop bitchin' it's snowing anyway. Ship it south and I'll guide you into the GT3DE cup. Between my AC warehouse and Sebring it will be broken in. About same distance as Zuffenhausen - Ring.)

Pfft, snow

Name:  image-3705429401.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  470.0 KB
Old 02-16-2016 | 06:50 PM
Porschmich
Instructor

The inner beast of the R.S. is speaking. No more P.D.K. Manual only or I will grind it up and spit it out.
Old 02-16-2016 | 06:57 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bobbyd
Well I don't have a dog in this fight, though I had both 996 and 997 versions of car.

What I will say, however, is that I always felt better about a drivetrain with extensive previous applications in either racing or track use. This way, it's application to street car use was a doddle.

Don't understand why Porsche doesn't make the race car first, compete with it for a number of years, then sell a street version. 993's, 996's, and 997's were more that way. 991's are not, just sayin'

OK flame suit on....
Haven't seen a sequential gearbox in a street car yet. Not sure the racing development of the transmission part of the drivetrain applies. While it is nice to know that a street car has some connection to the race car....don't fool yourself, they are not one in the same, and not built for the same purposes. I think it is interesting to always hear how everyone wants the "race car parts" in their street car, but also want an easily maintainable car, that won't cost them an arm and a leg repairing all the time. And racing regulations determine what they can develop. When is the last time you saw anything from formula one put into production?
Old 02-16-2016 | 07:31 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Default Update on 991 GT3RS Recall

Upon publication of this thread, I called my dealer in Illinois (United States of America) and inquired of such recall as was published by GT3ZZZ whom I believe is from United Kingdom.

My car was built in May 2016 and accepted delivery August 3 2016. My Service Advisor (SA) informed me there are two "voluntary recalls", namely:
1.) Spark plug and coils need to be replaced.
2.) Front grille support need to be replaced. (This would be the plastic support on the front screen/mesh).

NOTE - SA advised me there is no recall on my vehicle so there is no notification or letter sent out. Rather this is a "campaign" which is voluntary, meaning if the vehicle is brought in they (dealer) will update parts or anything necessary. There is no gear box change on my car.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Old 02-16-2016 | 07:43 PM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

Holly smoke guys. I have no skin in this game but it seems to be a minor thing. Being a 2014 GT3 Owner that had an engine swap this seems trivial. No Big deal with this; car is fine. They might of had some bad batches and taking precaution.

This is not like now your RS is tainted. Do you think you married a Virgin?
Old 02-16-2016 | 07:57 PM
hets72
Instructor

Just read about this in 911 magazine - small article on this effecting spark plugs of gt3 and RS for a batch of cars - will check with my dealer tomorrow
Old 02-16-2016 | 07:58 PM
robmypro
Race Director

I have the 991 GT3, so I really have no skin in this. But I think it is great how proactive Porsche seems to be with this stuff.
Old 02-16-2016 | 08:17 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

i agree with the ambulance chaser comments
and this is the first time that i have been slightly happy my RS hasn't entered production yet
Old 02-16-2016 | 08:31 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

I remember when a coworker would always tell me of any Porsche recall or campaign that he heard about it, telling me "all Porsches are being recalled" I once tried to explain the different models and how a recall wasn't a big deal they were just repairing a part, he never got it, and kept it up, I just ignored him
Old 02-16-2016 | 08:55 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lumber
I knew Id find you both here...

Ambulance chasers of rennlist.
Chillax brother, you aren't my sensing the sarcasm. Remember I'm part of the 991 family with my lowly GT3. BTW, I'm made a strong open offer to a soon-to-be delivered PTS RS...up to the owner if he'll take it or not (yes, it's over $50k over).
Old 02-16-2016 | 09:08 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

I have an 16 GT3. Oct 15 build. Car will not accelerate "normally" in first or second gear. To dealer for second time this week. Feel sure it's PDK problem. Allan

Quick Reply: 991 GT3RS Recall