Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Midwest road course track events for GT3 newbies?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 12:51 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Midwest road course track events for GT3 newbies?

Looking for advice on good road courses and track day events for a GT3 newbie such as a myself to enjoy this car. Not a serious racer, just want to have some fun, improve my driving abilities, and hang out with others car enthusiasts whether Porsche or other.

I'm in Ohio but am willing to make drive up to maybe 6 hours or so away, which means most anywhere in Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, or Pennsylvania, or even Northern VA / DC / Maryland area.

Been to Grattan and Gingerman in Michigan years ago, which was fun. Liked Grattan better. Never tried Mid Ohio. Don't know what other road courses or clubs and events are in the region. Appreciate your combined tutelage.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:34 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

road america is my all time favorite. A far drive for you but worth it.

Check out MVP track time, hooked on driving , etc..
Old 02-04-2016, 03:45 AM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mosport. Every enthusiast should drive Mosport at least once. Carefully.

It might be within six hours, and your dollars will go further.

Of course, once you are at Mosport you might as well drop down to the Glen. I've never driven the Glen but have been a number of times. Driving it is on my bucket list.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:55 AM
OpieT
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check chinmotorsports.com. Great organizers for all experience levels.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:41 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Where in Ohio are you? There are plenty of opportunities at Mid Ohio which many will argue is one of the great tracks in the united states.

Additionally, the expansion of PITT Race (formally Beaver Run) was completed last year which really enhanced that track from it's previous configuration.

Putnam Park is just west of Indianapolis and not a horrible drive from Ohio. If you want to try a track that is open and safe with lots of runoff (except the last turn) then Putnam is a good venue.

As you've stated Grattan and Gingerman are also good good options. I'm guessing you're in northern Ohio based on the fact that you've been to these.

Finally, there is the National Corvette Museum track in KY. It's a bit of a drive from northern Ohio but still a nice venue. It's a tight and technical track with little runoff room probably not the best one to go to first time out in a brand new car.

I was putting together opportunities that I might attend this year, hopefully this list helps you some. More deatails as well as registration for most of these can be found on either motorsportreg.com or clubregistration.net

Chin – NCM 4/2-3
MVP – NCM 4/9-10
NOR PCA - Mid Ohio 4/29-5/1
Auto Interests – Pitt 5/7-8
MOR PCA - Mid Ohio 5/13-15
10/10ths - NCM 5/14-15
NNJR PCA - Mid Ohio 5/20-22
Chin – Mid Ohio 5/30-31
KY PCA - Putnam 6/3-5
OVR PCA - Mid Ohio 6/10-12
Auto Interests – Mid Ohio 6/27
Auto Interests – Pitt 7/2-3
MOR PCA - Putnam 7/9-10
Audi Club - Mid Ohio 7/22-24
MOR PCA - Indianapolis Motor Speedway 8/19-21
Buckeye BMW - Mid Ohio 8/19-21
ARPCA – Mid Ohio 9/9-11
KY PCA - Putnam 9/9-11
Old 02-04-2016, 02:11 PM
CSDiasio
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putnam Park

My name is Chris Diasio and I am the owner of Putnam Park Road Course, located just 35 miles west of Indianapolis. If you would like to run with a Porsche Club, there are three regions to choose from. Central Indiana Region, which is hosting events in April and October, Kentucky Region which hosts events in June and September, and Mid-Ohio Region which is hosting an event in July.

You may also want to consider trying an Experience The Club pass with our motorsports country club, The Club. It offers very exclusive track time, an instructor if required, and over 130 days a year to choose from. I own a 2015 991 GT3 and last year posted on this site that I was offering a discounted pass for GT3 owners. I will extend that offer to you and any other current GT3 or RS owners as long as you do it by May. Please pm me if interested.

Chris
Old 02-04-2016, 04:02 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
road america is my all time favorite. A far drive for you but worth it.

Check out MVP track time, hooked on driving , etc..
+1

You must try Road America. It will become your favorite
Old 02-04-2016, 04:53 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Ohio Nearby Tracks in order of most fun:
1- Road America
1.1- Watkins Glen ...."very close runner up"
2- Midohio
3-NCM " national Corvette"
4-Pitt Race.
5- Gingerman
Best tracks to learn as a new driver, but not as much fun
1- Gingerman
2- Putnam park
These are all within a decent day drive.

All Auto clubs PCA, Audi, BMW, Chin, 10 10th,& Shelby do have events on all above tracks. google the sites and find what works for your time.

I am not sure about crossing the border for a track when starting out
Old 02-04-2016, 05:56 PM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Agree with all of this! Mid Ohio is awesome and right there for you, The Corvette Museum is 1.45 south of Louisville, and Putnam Park just 30 min West of Indy. As a Club Member of Putnam, I would emphasize the fun, technical aspects and importantly, safety of 1.8 mi /10 turn Putnam. It is a great place to run hard without worry, learn a lot, and with the Clubhouse facilities turns a regular track day into a whole lot more in between sessions and when you are done on track. Check it out online. I run on all of these tracks. Feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions about any of these.

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Where in Ohio are you? There are plenty of opportunities at Mid Ohio which many will argue is one of the great tracks in the united states.

Additionally, the expansion of PITT Race (formally Beaver Run) was completed last year which really enhanced that track from it's previous configuration.

Putnam Park is just west of Indianapolis and not a horrible drive from Ohio. If you want to try a track that is open and safe with lots of runoff (except the last turn) then Putnam is a good venue.

As you've stated Grattan and Gingerman are also good good options. I'm guessing you're in northern Ohio based on the fact that you've been to these.

Finally, there is the National Corvette Museum track in KY. It's a bit of a drive from northern Ohio but still a nice venue. It's a tight and technical track with little runoff room probably not the best one to go to first time out in a brand new car.

I was putting together opportunities that I might attend this year, hopefully this list helps you some. More deatails as well as registration for most of these can be found on either motorsportreg.com or clubregistration.net

Chin – NCM 4/2-3
MVP – NCM 4/9-10
NOR PCA - Mid Ohio 4/29-5/1
Auto Interests – Pitt 5/7-8
MOR PCA - Mid Ohio 5/13-15
10/10ths - NCM 5/14-15
NNJR PCA - Mid Ohio 5/20-22
Chin – Mid Ohio 5/30-31
KY PCA - Putnam 6/3-5
OVR PCA - Mid Ohio 6/10-12
Auto Interests – Mid Ohio 6/27
Auto Interests – Pitt 7/2-3
MOR PCA - Putnam 7/9-10
Audi Club - Mid Ohio 7/22-24
MOR PCA - Indianapolis Motor Speedway 8/19-21
Buckeye BMW - Mid Ohio 8/19-21
ARPCA – Mid Ohio 9/9-11
KY PCA - Putnam 9/9-11

Quick Reply: Midwest road course track events for GT3 newbies?